Author Topic: Collision Model Is BS  (Read 1779 times)

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
Re: Collision Model Is BS
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2012, 08:41:41 PM »
Geist got the kill on you because you hit the ground before he did, real simple.
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2012, 09:05:30 PM »
I've come to the conclusion that nobody actually knows how the collision model works and I have a film to back that up. For those that claim that your end has to see a collision to receive damage, that's BS.

In this film I clearly never make contact with him and receive the collision and lose a wing. Now if it had said "Geist has collided with you" I would have been fine with it, because I've always thought both should receive damage in the first place. But instead we miss on BOTH ends and I still get the "you have collided" message and I go down. He was going down anyways because I had already shot one off one of his wings off but now instead of me getting a kill on him, he gets a kill on me.  :bhead :bhead

As I said before, this wouldn't be an issue if both planes would receive damage already, I would have been completely fine with it, however this film is just to show that the collision model doesn't even work like its supposed to now.

http://www.mediafire.com/?er4bkzdmqzpcpck

From the lists of "fixes" in the newest version....

Version 2.27 Patch 0 Changes
======================

External view mode is now disabled in manned guns.

Icons now mask when the vehicle or plane is hidden behind vegetation.

Added a less obtrusive dialog box that appears in the upper left corner for items such as join requests.

Fixed some typos in the Panzer IVF loadouts.

Added a bomb loadout option to the 109E.

External engine sounds are no longer heard when your engine is running.

Changed the default fighter launch point at ports and vehicle bases.

Wirbel and Ostwind turrets can no longer take on indefinite damage after they've been destroyed without eventually destroying the vehicle.

Changed the cockpit head bounds on the F6F.

Changed the default skins of the P-47D-25 and Spitfire I.

Fixed a bug with the mission editor not saving missions properly.

Fixed a crash bug that happened when jumping between bombers in a formation after a bomber had been destroyed.

The film viewer now saves its window size and position between sessions.

Collision messages are now recorded in films.

I haven't tested it yet, but I AVOID collisions

Offline chaser

• Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2012, 09:07:13 PM »
I guess I should have taken a screenshot of the message but I had the "you have collided" message in the chat box.

Edit: As I mentioned before a blank message displays in place of the collision message. For some reason it shows up in the film veiwer as ":-"
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 09:09:13 PM by chaser »

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2012, 09:50:18 PM »
here is where you lost left elevator from the HO.

here is close to the "collision"

kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2012, 10:20:58 PM »
I thought the flight paths in the film viewer were not exact, just close.  As though the film recorder only takes position notes ever .5 seconds or so and then just draws the flight paths like connect the dots.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2012, 12:08:01 AM »
I've come to the conclusion that nobody actually knows how the collision model works and I have a film to back that up. For those that claim that your end has to see a collision to receive damage, that's BS.

In this film I clearly never make contact with him and receive the collision and lose a wing. Now if it had said "Geist has collided with you" I would have been fine with it, because I've always thought both should receive damage in the first place. But instead we miss on BOTH ends and I still get the "you have collided" message and I go down. He was going down anyways because I had already shot one off one of his wings off but now instead of me getting a kill on him, he gets a kill on me.  :bhead :bhead

As I said before, this wouldn't be an issue if both planes would receive damage already, I would have been completely fine with it, however this film is just to show that the collision model doesn't even work like its supposed to now.

Kinda hard to please aren't ya? :)

It's just a cartoon airplane, and you aren't really dead.  Get a new plane, go back and try again.  :aok
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2012, 12:09:02 AM »

You can tell HTC he's wrong but he wrote it. :)
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline EVZ

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2012, 02:47:18 AM »
I've come to the conclusion that nobody actually knows how the collision model works and I have a film to back that up. For those that claim that your end has to see a collision to receive damage, that's BS. In this film I clearly never make contact with him and
Are you ABSOLUTELY SURE ? He didn't shoot you with his .45 ?

Sorry, Couldn't resist ... I too think BOTH planes should GO DOWN after a collision ... The classic "NO" to this idea is based on the POSSIBILITY the guy on the other end isn't anywhere near colliding and should not be punished ... I've been there, seen the other guy go down ... but I've NEVER gotten a collision message that suprised me ... It's ALWAYS occured when a collision was inevitable, the suprise was flying away unhurt ... How MANY have experienced circumstances involving the OTHER GUY going down when they had NO REASON to expect a collision ?
:salute
I am my Ideal ! - You may now return to your petty bickering.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2012, 03:20:19 AM »
most people understand how the collision model works.  and most hate it as a double standard.

-I can avoid somebody colliding with me on my end and I wont take damage.
-I can avoid somebody having gun solution on my end and I still die.  been killed many times by a fighter's tail gunner  :bhead.

the solution to that problem is I dont think about it anymore.  It's like trying to argue the  ho/front quarter shot thingy.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2012, 03:41:31 AM »
most people understand how the collision model works.  and most hate it as a double standard.

-I can avoid somebody colliding with me on my end and I wont take damage.
-I can avoid somebody having gun solution on my end and I still die.  been killed many times by a fighter's tail gunner  :bhead.

the solution to that problem is I dont think about it anymore.  It's like trying to argue the  ho/front quarter shot thingy.

semp

If he hits you on his front end, collision or bullets, he hits you.

But I'm sure everyone would rather spontaneously blow up as they fly fifty feet under the plane they just dove under because, on his front end, there was a collision.

Flow chart please.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2012, 03:48:03 AM »
If he hits you on his front end, collision or bullets, he hits you.

But I'm sure everyone would rather spontaneously blow up as they fly fifty feet under the plane they just dove under because, on his front end, there was a collision.

Flow chart please.

wrongway

like i said double standard, I can avoid crashes but not guns.  I spontaneously blow up as I can see on my end that his guns are never pointing at me.  understand it, yes I do, but I dont have to like it  :salute.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline IrishOne

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2012, 07:07:00 AM »
I'm sure that you're right that a lot, including yourself, have no clue as to how the collision model works.  Which is why you probably posted this but sadly it will fall on your deaf ears if we try and explain it to you as you've already made up your closed mind.

ack-ack

Q F T
-AoM-

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2012, 09:22:21 AM »
I thought the flight paths in the film viewer were not exact, just close.  As though the film recorder only takes position notes ever .5 seconds or so and then just draws the flight paths like connect the dots.

This seems highly likely to me.

Pretty close, but when you're closing speed is really high, not precisely precise.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2012, 10:27:19 AM »
Chaser, what was HTC's response to your film? If you haven't gotten his response then this is just a bitter "notice me" whine thread that will only result in pages upon pages rehashing the same old crap.  To save us all time please refer to the 29 pages on this subject  http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,325218.0.html from just a few weeks ago.

If however you really want to effect a change, send the film to HTC and see what he says.  Perhaps this is (God forbid) a bug, and not "BS" as you so claim.

Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2012, 10:33:25 AM »
Chaser, what was HTC's response to your film? If you haven't gotten his response then this is just a bitter "notice me" whine thread that will only result in pages upon pages rehashing the same old crap.  To save us all time please refer to the 29 pages on this subject  http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,325218.0.html from just a few weeks ago.

If however you really want to effect a change, send the film to HTC and see what he says.  Perhaps this is (God forbid) a bug, and not "BS" as you so claim.

I'm pretty sure he meant this thread as a joke. It would be embarrassing if he didn't.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)