Author Topic: Another good b'stard story  (Read 398 times)

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Another good b'stard story
« on: February 27, 2012, 01:30:24 PM »
I think these stories are worth spreading  :)

A Palmerston North man who crawled into a burning house to rescue a baby was terrified at the time, but said he could not ignore the screams and pleas of family members.

The fire, which gutted the Wellesbourne St house in central Palmerston North, started about 7am Monday.

Inside at the time was a 16-month-old baby girl, a four-year-old boy and three adults, including the children's mother.

The adults and eldest child escaped out the back of the house, but the baby was trapped in a front room, separated from her family by a thick wall of smoke.

Neighbour Tony Selby, who lives in the sleepout behind the house, heard the adults screaming for the baby and rushed inside.

''I was on my knees, I couldn't see anything in front of me,'' Selby said. ''I was feeling for the cot.''

He tossed boxes aside before reaching her, then dragged her towards the window and got her out.

He said the room was filled with thick smoke. ''I was terrified, I'll be absolutely honest,'' he said.

''I was shaking like buggery when I got out of there. I was shaking before I even went in.''

Selby said he did not feel like a hero, it was just something that had to be done.

''I'm just glad I got the baby out,'' he said.

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: Another good b'stard story
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 06:49:31 PM »
Yikes!  Well done, sir. :salute

-Penguin

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 08:40:22 PM »
This story is what makes us human.
A yappy back seater like Jester wasn’t popular or fun to fly with, more of an unnecessary distraction than anything else---Puma44

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 05:10:43 PM »
This story is what makes us human.

Well, it's also a matter of being, to quote Lady Gaga, "born this way," but I see your point.

-Penguin

Offline Rich52

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 05:36:01 PM »
Memories of a 6yo girl I couldnt get to come to mind. I crawled on my hands and knees on the lower level of the project two story with the rageing fire going over my head. By the time I made it to the stairwell, she was on the 2nd floor, I knew if I didnt turn around I was dead. The fire was so bad even the girls Mom thru herself thru a picture window rather then get burnt alive. We got everyone else out but not the child. I ended up in the ER with smoke inhalation. There is nothing more frightening then fire.

This mans a hero. Made double by the fact that he hadnt chosen a life where such dangers come with it. He just decided the lives of others carry as much importance as his. :salute

And Im glad he wont have to spend 1/2 a lifetime remembering the child he couldnt get to.
Yes, your on "Ignore"