Author Topic: Passed my Checkride!  (Read 744 times)

Offline Nypsy

• Silver Member
Re: Passed my Checkride!
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2012, 07:56:27 PM »
wtg!   :aok :rock

Offline Hawk78th

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2012, 08:27:16 PM »
Congrats  !!
 :aok

and the 7ECA is a blast to fly..--> I have 210 hours in the Same type  (all in VT...)

Keep up with all the AD's & it'll fly without problems.
<<S>>
JHawk  (in Game)

Offline xNOVAx

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2012, 08:35:31 PM »
Thanks guys! Wasn't quite sure if I was going to get it in today. Here was my view when I arrived at my home airport in Sonoma at 9:00AM.

It burned off just in time for me to get out and hop over to Santa Rosa and get started. My examiner had another checkride this afternoon, so time was against me right up to when he called me (10:45) and said Santa Rosa had turned to VFR and for me to head over. I had to run out to the plane and get over there as fast as I could while doing it safely. What a whirlwind day, but I'm glad it got it done!  :rock
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 08:53:48 PM by xNOVAx »

NOVA - Army of Muppets - Inactive

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." -Leonardo da Vinci

Offline 2ADoc

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2012, 08:44:37 PM »
Nova it is not the end of the journey, it is just the beginning, have fun with it.  Remember that the PPL is a License to learn, you are at the beginning of a great journey.  It will be fun.
Takeoffs are optional, landings aren't
Vini Vedi Velcro
See Rule 4, 13, 14.

Offline xNOVAx

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2012, 08:51:51 PM »
Nova it is not the end of the journey, it is just the beginning, have fun with it.  Remember that the PPL is a License to learn, you are at the beginning of a great journey.  It will be fun.

Yeah I know. I feel like I learned a lot today as PIC. Got to deal with weather in a different way than I normally had before and a bunch of other little things / feedback from my examiner. It was a good day, and I definitely understand a good pilot is always learning.  :cheers:

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." -Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2012, 08:52:10 PM »
Grats !!  :aok
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Sonicblu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2012, 06:23:03 PM »
Congrats :salute

What are some pointers or tips you can pass on?

Working toward my PP.

Offline bacon8tr

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2012, 06:42:22 PM »
Congrats  :cheers:

Offline Krupinski

• Gold Member
      • Twitch
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2012, 06:48:25 PM »
WTG NOVA!!  :cheers:

Offline xNOVAx

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2012, 07:50:02 PM »
Congrats :salute

What are some pointers or tips you can pass on?

Working toward my PP.

Hey Sonic. Cool man! How many hours you got so far?

As far as any pointers, it actually turned out to be quite a bit easier than I thought it was going to, but I felt like I was fully prepared. I really knew my stuff for the oral and was comfortable flying the plane, using the radio, and navigating.

For the oral study hard (and I do mean study hard), but you don't have to recall everything from memory. That certainly helps you though if you can. He was asking me stuff about charts and i was rattling off all the right answers. Maybe 6 or 7 symbols and he was like, "ok I know you know charts" and we moved on. That kind of thing. You should be at least familiar with everything and know where to find the answers if you don't know something. There were a couple questions where i didn't know the answer, but i was able to tell him where i would look. Biggest tip on the oral would be do not try to BS your way to an answer. That will just get you in trouble and they will keep digging. Also, if you do well on your written, that's less you have to cover in the oral. I got a 95% on my written, so he only had to ask me 3 questions about it. Make sure you remember which ones you missed (if you haven't already taken it) so you can make sure you understand those. If you miss them again, your examiner might not like that very much.

One thing that I screwed up a little in the airplane was my position/intention reporting on the radio. Calling for a south departure when i really wanted a southeast departure, the tower cleared me for a runway that wasn't the best for my initial route. Also I called I was northeast of an airport when I was really northwest. Just small situational/directional awareness things were the only real thing that my examiner was giving me a hard time about on the flying. Just don't scare your examiner and you'll be fine.

:cheers:

Offline 4deck

• Silver Member
      • (+) Precision
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2012, 05:52:08 AM »
Congradulations bro.  :salute :cheers:
Forgot who said this while trying to take a base, but the quote goes like this. "I cant help you with ack, Im not in attack mode" This is with only 2 ack up in the town while troops were there, waiting. The rest of the town was down.

Offline jollyFE

• Nickel Member
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2012, 11:27:36 AM »
congrats, I just passed my check 2 weeks ago.............ain't it a great feeling
Every time a Nit vulches,  an angel get it's wings.

Offline xNOVAx

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2012, 12:39:05 PM »
congrats, I just passed my check 2 weeks ago.............ain't it a great feeling

Sure is Jolly, congrats yourself!  :cheers:

Offline pipz

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2012, 01:19:08 PM »
Good goin Nova!
Silence tells me secretly everything.

Montreal! Free the Pitt Bulls!!!!!

Offline Grayeagle

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2012, 01:40:30 PM »
Congratulations .. now the fun begins :)

Flyin all the planes you run across just for the fun of it .. it's amazing how different each one is.
I loved every one I got a chance to fly.
Just nothin like it.

When time/funds permit:

http://www.stallion51.com/

You owe it to yourself.
-evil grin-

..and it goes in your logbook.

-Frank aka GE
'The better I shoot ..the less I have to manuever'
-GE