Author Topic: monitors  (Read 287 times)

Offline BERN1

• Nickel Member
monitors
« on: March 10, 2012, 05:03:51 AM »
just bought a new 27 inch monitor.
will be buying another new in a few months.
what do all the darn numbers mean and what is best bang for the buck
should I buy a TV or a monitor,am looking to get 27 inch or bigger.
Thanks for the input<S>

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: monitors
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 05:37:07 AM »
What are the darn numbers you are speaking about? 27" means the distance from corner to corner.

You may stumble upon the word 'resolution' which in this case means how many pixels (dots) the monitor natively reproduces. The more dots, the more information there is on the screen. The smaller the dots are, the crisper the image is when viewed at the same distance. Today many monitors use the HD resolution of 1920x1080 dots, meaning there's 1920 dots horizontally and 1080 vertically with an aspect ratio of 16/9. Those specs also apply to most widescreen TV sets. The bigger the TV screen, the larger the dots are.

Computer monitors are available in other aspect ratios, too. A 16/10 monitor usually has a resolution of 1920x1200 which simply means there are 120 more dots vertically. In AH it means that you can see enemy dots up to 60 pixels higher or lower than with a 16/9 monitor without changing your viewing angle. Very handy in a vertical fight...

There are 16/9 monitors with a resolution of 2560x1440, or 16/10 @ 2560x1600, which of course show you more and may give a better immersion, but they still cost quite a lot, not to mention that you'd need a high end video card to draw all those pixels at a playable frame rate.

Hope this clarified those darn numbers a little.  :salute
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline BERN1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 06:51:40 AM »
sorry about the "darn numbers" comment what I mean is that the details of the said monitor the aspect ratios,refresh rates,response times......are always represented differently depending on manufacturer making pickin one a difficult process,for your average joe.
here are the details of the one I bought on newegg. and yes your input was helpful.
Model
BrandASUS
ModelVE276Q
Cabinet ColorBlackDisplay
Screen Size27"
LED BacklightNo
WidescreenYes
Recommended Resolution1920 x 1080
Viewing Angle170°(H) / 160°(V)
Pixel Pitch0.311mm
Display Colors16.7 Million
Brightness300 cd/m2
Contrast Ratio100,000 :1 (ASCR)
Response Time2ms(GTG)
Horizontal Refresh Rate30 - 83 KHz
Vertical Refresh Rate56 - 76 HzConnectivity
Input Video CompatibilityAnalog RGB, Digital
ConnectorsDisplayPort, DVI-D, D-Sub, HDMI
D-Sub1
DVI1
HDMI1
DisplayPort1Power
Power Consumption< 70 W
Power Saving Mode < 1 WConvenience
User ControlsSPLENDID Video Preset Mode Selection
Auto. Adjustment
Brightness Adjustment
Volume Adjustment
Input Selection
Regulatory ApprovalsUL/cUL, CB, CE, EuP, FCC, CCC, BSMI, Gost-R, C-Tick, VCCI, PSB, EK, J-MOSS, Taiwan Green Mark,RoHS, WEEE, WHQL
Stand AdjustmentsTilt
Built-in TV TunerNo
Built-in Speakers2 x 3W
HDCP SupportYes
FeaturesTrace Free Technology
SPLENDID Video Intelligence Technology
SPLENDID Video Preset Modes (6 modes)
Skin-Tone Selection (3 mode)
Picture in Picture - Display 2 Different Signals Simultaneously
Splendid Video Intelligence Technology
Kensington lock
VESA Wall Mounting: 100x100mmDimensions
Dimensions25.31" x 17.54" x 8.66"
Weight15.87 lbs.Manufacturer Warranty
Parts3 years limited
Labor3 years limited

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 08:19:34 AM »
Screen Size27" From corner to corner
Recommended Resolution1920 x 1080  Also known as native resolution, means the physical amount of pixel producing things in the screen panel. 16/9, Full HD
Viewing Angle170°(H) / 160°(V)  If the angle is too narrow, the colours skew towards the edges. Two people can't view a narrow angled screen sitting side by side.
Pixel Pitch0.311mm  Diameter of one physical pixel. If the pitch is of the same size on different size monitors, then the walls between pixels are thicker in the bigger monitor.
Display Colors16.7 Million Same as 24 bit colour depth. Adequate.
Brightness300 cd/m2 Enough for a monitor even in daylight.In lamplight you might want to dim it
Contrast Ratio100,000 :1 (ASCR) Now that must be measured in a dark room! In common terms that tells how much brighter white is compared to blackest black. In bright lights the monitor reflects light, making black look gray, which will radically weaken the contrast ratio.
Response Time2ms(GTG)  That's very good for gaming.
Horizontal Refresh Rate30 - 83 KHz
Vertical Refresh Rate56 - 76 HzConnectivity  These two affect the maximum frame rate. If I understand them right, that monitor should be able to run @ 75 Hz, making it possible to get 75 frames in game.Every screen does at least 60 Hz
VESA Wall Mounting: 100x100mmDimensions  Distance between screw holes

Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline BERN1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 08:23:28 AM »
 :salute

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 11:26:56 AM »
BERN, I have this ASUS http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236059 and I cannot be happier.   You will not be disappointed with the quality or performance.   I get no ghosting, regardless of the game.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC