Author Topic: New members  (Read 1785 times)

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
New members
« on: February 14, 2012, 03:46:50 PM »
What I have been doing, when I get the chance, is to invite a new guy to "join" me during a flight or mission, explain to him what I am doing, about the radio and a host of other things. Have had 2 in last month out of about 6 which came back and joined! I know its a pain to have to explain how to "join" you in flight in the text buffer, but if we want this game to grow and become the best sim game online, we need to help AH with the process! :salute
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
Re: New members
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 04:35:58 PM »
I think it is the best thing we can do.  Help out the new guys by working with them one on one, help them learn the basics of the radio bar, chat, etc.  Make sure they know the learning curve is years and years long.  Also, keeping the lines of communication open for months to come helps out a lot.  As a new player, it is very frustrating getting shot down constantly.

I've helped maybe a dozen of 15 new players over the past few years or so, and attempted to help many more. 

I encourage everyone to help. 
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 04:37:43 PM »
My squad has added many new members over the years by finding new, inexperienced guys and helping them out.  As long as they are respectful they usually fit right in!

Several have moved off to other squads but many still fly with us!

Offline WEZEL

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 05:39:33 PM »
As a "New Guy" to this game I have found the players are willing to help when I have asked a question or have given me a tip or two on game play :aok Thanks Guy's/Gals keep up the good work.

Now if someone can tell me how a Yak can run away from a p51-d in level flight my world would be happy   :devil

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 06:10:38 PM »
What I have been doing, when I get the chance, is to invite a new guy to "join" me during a flight or mission, explain to him what I am doing, about the radio and a host of other things. Have had 2 in last month out of about 6 which came back and joined! I know its a pain to have to explain how to "join" you in flight in the text buffer, but if we want this game to grow and become the best sim game online, we need to help AH with the process! :salute

You are doing the right move, earl. Some guys will tell new people to "Alt F4" or go to TA.  :salute
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 06:31:23 PM »
I usually fly in the Training Arena more than I fly in the MA's.  While there, I make my best effort to help anyone that I can.  If I don't know how to do something, I usually can point them in the right direction to finding their answers.  I remember when I first started back in 07.  I was a fifteen year old squeaker.  No one likes squeakers!!!  On my first night ever online, I was given the opportunity to join a small squad that mostly flew Mid War (the 208th ArcAngels).  The CO SABER208 and his squaddies (most of which were his family) took me in and taught me the basics of the game.  They never chastised me for being the immature squeaker that I was.  Instead, they worked to not only better my skills in game, but to make me a better person outside of the game.  I split with the ArcAngels and soon found myself hanging out with the "bad boys."  They were all about being immature, and most of them were adults.  Bruv119 and a few others may remember the squad LCA "Blut und Ehre," as it caused a big stir with them (I soon learned why, and later left the squad).

Throughout my AH career I have met several players that have led me along the right paths and have helped me in so many ways--far too many to name.  As I grew bored with the game, I found my way into the Training Arena.  Mostly, I was just killing time and chatting with the friends I made in there.  After befriending people such as Ghosth, BigRat, morfiend, and several others, I began to want to help as much as possible.  I flew with those guys everyday, learning from them and helping others at the same time.  I owe my new found patience to them.  Their patience with me, their time spent with me while I was just a young teenager made me appreciate them and this community even more.  I feel like I owe the community exactly what was given to me. 

Sorry for being so long-winded.  That is my testimonial on new guys.

#S#

Josh
Tours 86 - 296

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 06:49:11 PM »
I usually have the Help channel tuned to one of my radios; just in case.

I've helped many new guys over the years, and have no problem doing so unless I'm in the middle of a fight.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline phatzo

• Gold Member
      • No Crying
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 06:50:02 PM »
I was helping out a new guy last night who ended up spanking me big time in his N1k, he must have been an FA or Warbirds refugee. Good fun though, and he loved 200 after I had shown him how to tune his radio.
No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 07:24:26 PM »
Nice thread gents... :salute

Nicely done Earl
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline bangsbox

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2012, 08:44:40 PM »
As a "New Guy" to this game I have found the players are willing to help when I have asked a question or have given me a tip or two on game play :aok Thanks Guy's/Gals keep up the good work.

Now if someone can tell me how a Yak can run away from a p51-d in level flight my world would be happy   :devil

la's and yaks are meant to be fast low alt. la7 is probably the fastest plane on the deck out there (not including 262). mustangs are not the best low alt fighters. im assuming this happened on the deck if not, he just had a lot more E then you thought

Offline Tom5572

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 12:02:44 AM »
There have been a few I have helped over the past few years. Some joined, some did not.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2012, 02:52:32 AM »
Pigs on the wing have guys who are great at certain aspects...example waystin in a whirbelwind. Many post threads on our site which help the new guys or guys looking for help amongst our squad. If any new guy wants to check it out it is at pigsonthewing.org. Maybe you might like what you find and join up :)
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2012, 03:37:39 AM »
la's and yaks are meant to be fast low alt. la7 is probably the fastest plane on the deck out there (not including 262). mustangs are not the best low alt fighters. im assuming this happened on the deck if not, he just had a lot more E then you thought

"How did he just do that?"  Seems to be the proper newb question (newb not a derrogatory meaning here, especially since you are asking the correct question, how?).  Too many times the CHEAT term is thrown around when unexpected results are encountered in a game event.

Bangs is right on here, but a visit to the Training arena with the right guys on can open your eyes to a ton of other explanations.  E (or energy state) seems to explain a lot of instances.  Some folks are good at getting you to blow your energy while retaining theirs.  Amount of fuel and even manual trim might explain how certain opponents are able to wrangle the most out of their rides.  A detail look into the speed charts may explain some things but others like the altitude of the fight make vast differences in performance ratings.

I can't say enough good things about the AH Training Corps.  :aok  I have been around for over a decade  :old: and learn something new everytime that I have a discussion with just about any of them.   :salute

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2012, 06:34:57 AM »
Pigs on the wing have guys who are great at certain aspects...example waystin in a whirbelwind. Many post threads on our site which help the new guys or guys looking for help amongst our squad. If any new guy wants to check it out it is at pigsonthewing.org. Maybe you might like what you find and join up :)

Great to see you Junky!  You keepin your head down over there right???  :salute

Changeup
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline B-17

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2012, 10:30:23 AM »
Short month I was online, I gave a hand to a couple of new players... One of them happened to be female, and was POd over how 'mean' some of the guys were in the MA. I told her they were just jealous that she had a bomber pilot like me :D :bolt: