Author Topic: Engine cooling on different plane types  (Read 1096 times)

Offline save

• Gold Member
Engine cooling on different plane types
« on: February 16, 2012, 02:34:52 PM »
I would like to know how engines cooling is calculated in AH2.

I do understand that a liquid cooled engine under normal circumstances cool off faster.
How does altitude impact on cooling temps ?

I mean, air-cooled engines normally shock-cool if you  leave them at idle at higher altitudes IRL, if my memory serves me right.

I will take an example.

Fw190a8 will, if red-lined, be  pretty much be useless for the next 5-10 minutes ( Wep is life in that bird), you might as well go and change plane whereas other air-cooled planes cool off relatively fast.

My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Gryffin

• Nickel Member
Re: Engine cooling on different plane types
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 03:41:22 PM »
It is just a simple timer, there is no actual temperature calculation at all.

Most planes need twice the cool down time when WEP is used (for some like the 109s the cool down time is the same as the WEP time).

For example, if you have 5 minutes of WEP left and you use 1 minute of WEP, then you have 4 minutes left. If you let it cool for 1 minute then you will have 4:30 of WEP available. If you let it cool for another minute you will have 5 minutes available again.

Temperature, speed, altitude, throttle setting etc., are not a factor. Just the stopwatch.

This page shows you the available WEP time until it runs out, and the subsequent recharge time to get full WEP again for each plane: http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/WEP

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 04:15:37 PM »
FYI: Historically, additional engine boost (or WEP) wasn't entirely dependent on engine temperature, some of them had a limited amount and when used it didn't 'recharge'.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline STEELE

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 05:08:20 PM »
FYI: Historically, additional engine boost (or WEP) wasn't entirely dependent on engine temperature, some of them had a limited amount and when used it didn't 'recharge'.
Sure it did! It was done with a Thermotrockle amphilated through a Daligoniter. Of course this is made possible because the Dernadine has a Franocoupling.
Then, the Ancimeter on the other side permulates the Conudus Belhepulus.
And that's the entire secret, there you have it!
The Kanonenvogel had 6 rounds per pod, this is not even close to being open for debate.

Offline GNucks

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 "Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 05:16:30 PM »
Sure it did! It was done with a Thermotrockle amphilated through a Daligoniter. Of course this is made possible because the Dernadine has a Franocoupling.

Didn't know about the franocoupling. Learn something new every day.

Rebel - Inactive
An amateur trains until he gets it right, a professional until he can't get it wrong.
vf-17.webuda.com

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 01:25:00 AM »
For those aircraft with water injection systems, it was limited to the amount of water available.  Once out of water, the engines would suffer from detonation if run at the high power settings.  P-47N, for example, carried 15 minutes worth of water at full WEP.  If only partial WEP was used, then the water would last longer.
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 09:16:08 AM »
I wonder why Merlins in British aircraft, even Merlins that were made in America, take half again as long to cool down?
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Charge

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 12:32:58 PM »
Smaller displacement and equal power to a larger displacement engine will make you produce a lot of heat and continue to produce a lot of heat even when out of WEP unless you shut it down. Too bad for Merlin drivers there a not many chances to shut down the engine while airborne or not even run on idle.

I understand that e.g. Hurricane tended to heat up easily so you needed to take off straight away after the operational temperature of the engine was reached. Also some of the Hurricanes that still fly use a water-spray that is sprayed into radiator to enhance cooling in hot weather.

-C+
"When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a giant meteor hurtling to the earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much screwed no matter what you wish for. Unless of course, it's death by meteorite."

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 12:37:04 PM »
The Merlins in the P-40F and P-51s have the same displacement and similar power ranges to the Merlins on the Spitfires, Hurricanes, Mosquitoes and Lancaster.  While it sounds like the Hurri didn't have adequate cooling, I've never heard of problems on the Spits or Mossies.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2012, 07:12:04 PM »
Anyone know the HTC rational for the different WEP times, especially the KI84?

Offline B-17

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2012, 07:42:23 PM »

Makes perfect sense!!!!

:huh :rofl

Offline STEELE

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 01:36:28 PM »
Makes perfect sense!!!!

:huh :rofl
$5 to the first person to guess who originally said that stuff      :noid
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 01:38:12 PM by STEELE »
The Kanonenvogel had 6 rounds per pod, this is not even close to being open for debate.

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2012, 07:54:08 AM »
$5 to the first person to guess who originally said that stuff      :noid

Delirium said it, I want my $5 bucks, I accept paypal :D

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2012, 03:14:08 AM »
Anyone know the HTC rational for the different WEP times, especially the KI84?

Mostly for the US planes, 5 minutes of WEP was the operating limit in real life.  Don't know about the other countries or the Ki-84 specifically...
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2012, 12:02:45 PM »
I wonder why Merlins in British aircraft, even Merlins that were made in America, take half again as long to cool down?

this one deserves its own thread, I'm interested in the answer.

Who said U.S. bias in the back??? Scandalous :furious
now posting as SirNuke