Author Topic: 109s wep  (Read 1122 times)

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
Re: 109s wep
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2012, 12:53:37 PM »
Several aircraft in AH have water injection both allied and axis, and the Ta 152 also has GM-1 (NOS).
No gods or kings. Only Predator.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2012, 02:59:25 PM »
I don't think the throttle could rotate that far.  I think it was mechanically limited to the max allowed boost setting.

Not really... You assign too much MAP and the charge detonates prematurely in the cylinder. You knew your max setting and you set it to that. You didn't ram it to the stops. Sometimes there was a wire, but this was just a reminder (i.e. breaking the wire for WEP, etc). You could abuse the engine very easily in almost any plane in existence. Only takes so much extra pressure to blow seals, fry a cylinder head, shoot oil out, burn the radiators, etc... As powerful as they were, they were very balanced and throwing one part out could/would trash the whole engine. Might get you home in 1 piece but it won't be flying ever again. Even in later years with the F-8 Crusaders I have heard they were jamming the throttles so hard forward on bolters and go-arounds off the carrier deck that they were bending the metal frame plate for the throttle. Some actually cut a chunk out of the metal to allow the lever to go forward more! This was ruining the engines and had several bad side effects, but pilots did it regularly to the point that (if I recall) orders were issued to stop doing it.

So, no they're not just mechanically limited. It's more complicated than that.

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2012, 03:01:37 PM »
I believe some 109s had both GM-1 boost and MW50. GM-1 was for improving the high alt performance but beyond that, I don't know much about the GM-1 boost system.
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2012, 03:04:11 PM »
I believe some 109s had both GM-1 boost and MW50. GM-1 was for improving the high alt performance but beyond that, I don't know much about the GM-1 boost system.

Very few 109s had GM-1... It was only for use above 30,000+ feet (33k, or 10km, if I recall?). Only plane in the game that has it is the Ta 152H-1, and that arguably isn't even modeled properly, acting like it's not even there. So there may in fact be NO plane with GM-1 currently modeled in AH...