Author Topic: 88mm Flak Range Chart  (Read 2894 times)

Offline shotgunneeley

• Silver Member
88mm Flak Range Chart
« on: February 19, 2012, 02:03:51 PM »
I created a spreadsheet table with the explosion time delay and shell drop to the nearest tenth of a fuse length. The minimum fuse length is 1.5k yards and the maximum is 12k yards. The 88mm flak gun I used was at a ground elevation of 0.0k and was elevated to an angle of approximately 45 degrees (had to guestimate this as the 88mm flak gun does not show your angle or orientation.) For example: if a target is 8k out, you'll have to aim for the spot where you think the target will be 15.4 seconds after you fire. Also, the shell drop for that distance is 1.8 cm (from the perspective of your computer screen). So not only will you have to give the target substantial horizontal lead, but also vertical. Hope this helps, I'm itching to get back into the game.

http://www.mediafire.com/?1m26019yshm3bvt
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 02:06:54 PM by shotgunneeley »
"Lord, let us feel pity for Private Jenkins, and sorrow for ourselves, and all the angel warriors that fall. Let us fear death, but let it not live within us. Protect us, O Lord, and be merciful unto us. Amen"-from FALLEN ANGELS by Walter Dean Myers

Game ID: ShtGn (Inactive), Squad: 91st BG

Offline Darkdiz

• Zinc Member
Re: 88mm Flak Range Chart
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 09:10:34 PM »
Well done sir :)
 :salute

Darkdiz
CO 144th CW
Talent hits a target no one else can hit
Genius hits a target no one else can see

Offline Rich52

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 05:39:42 PM »
For example: if a target is 8k out, you'll have to aim for the spot where you think the target will be 15.4 seconds after you fire. Also, the shell drop for that distance is 1.8 cm (from the perspective of your computer screen). So not only will you have to give the target substantial horizontal lead, but also vertical. Hope this helps, I'm itching to get back into the game.

:) Lotsa luck. I only use that gun if I can get a shot at a GV. Other then that its about as useless as a gun can be.
Yes, your on "Ignore"

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 06:54:48 PM »
What is the maximum effective range of the 88 AP against armor?

I was dropping AP on tanks at 7-8k last night and getting nothing but ricochetts. I was defending an airfeild against tanks spawning about 15,000yds up in a valley between two ridges over looking my airfeild. I could lob rounds up to them that mostly missed by 10-20 yards. 7-8k was where I could start zeroing in on them.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline HARDLIQR

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 01:26:25 PM »
 I did download this but can't open it. How do you open a .xlsx file?

Offline jimbo71

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 02:50:49 PM »
I did download this but can't open it. How do you open a .xlsx file?

Excel I would think
xxxJCxxx

Skill, Altitude, Airspeed: You need 2 out of 3...

Offline HARDLIQR

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 04:40:16 PM »
That is what I thought but when I try it says " It is not A recognizable Format". Maybe I need a newer version? Mine is 2003.

Offline Vudu15

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 06:03:45 PM »
i shot down 7 a/c attackin a port two days ago, 2 were direct hits under 1k I like it!
"No odds too great"

"I was a horse ahead at the end" - Nathan Bedford Forrest
Training Video List https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL54E5CE

Offline GhostRider2110

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 08:34:52 AM »
That is what I thought but when I try it says " It is not A recognizable Format". Maybe I need a newer version? Mine is 2003.

HARDLIQR,

It's M$'s "new Excel 2007+ open XML" format...open HA...  Couple things,  There is a "Compatibility pack for Work/Excel and PowerPoint 2007 file formats" you should be able to get from here http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=3 .  My preferred option is to use Openoffice http://www.openoffice.org or LibreOffice http://www.libreoffice.org and forget M$ and the high prices they charge...  I have had great success with Openoffice, and since I use Linux more than Winders, I have something I can use cross platform...

Great work on the chart shotgunneeley!  Thanks

See-ya
Mitch
--Mitch AKA SEBaker

XO I./JG 1 DGS II scenario
Mitchell Baker AMA 7548 GSWA WB251 10th AF USSMA 358
Webmaster THRCC

Offline shotgunneeley

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 08:38:33 AM »

Yeah I used excel 2010. You might be able to download a patch from the microsoft office homepage to bridge the formatting between 2003 and 2010.

The main thing I'd like to see added to the 88mm flak HUD is an angle gauge to display the gun's angle of elevation (between 0-90 degrees i guess, I don't know if the gun could be aimed below 0 degrees.) If we had the angle, we could accurately determine the altitude of incoming aircraft and the shell drop. The shell velocity and drops rate is different based on the angle of the gun. (straight up at a 90 degree angle and with no wind, the shell doesn't drop at all.)

If we knew the angle of the gun and the distance to the enemy buffs it was pointing at, we can determine the altitude of those buffs. By knowing the altitude of the target, we could find the distance setting and shell drop based on any degree of elevation. Also, if we know the altitude and aircraft type, we could get an estimate on the rate at which the target is closing to your position (derived from the speed charts).

Think of all of this as an "analog" targeting system. The trick is can we compute the range and lead settings fast enough to stay ahead of the target while it is constantly moving. The best thing to do is to fire shells in the path of the bombers and hope they fly into the flak. After pass the point of impact, reset and recalibrate to a new position in front of their path. Where this all goes to hell is if the target is not flying directly at you, so the path and closure rate would hard to determine.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 08:42:41 AM by shotgunneeley »
"Lord, let us feel pity for Private Jenkins, and sorrow for ourselves, and all the angel warriors that fall. Let us fear death, but let it not live within us. Protect us, O Lord, and be merciful unto us. Amen"-from FALLEN ANGELS by Walter Dean Myers

Offline GhostRider2110

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2012, 08:41:32 AM »
shotgunneeley

You can "Save As" and choose .xls and not .xlsx format and it will be compatible with older versions of Excel..

Thanks again for the info..

--Mitch
--Mitch AKA SEBaker

XO I./JG 1 DGS II scenario
Mitchell Baker AMA 7548 GSWA WB251 10th AF USSMA 358
Webmaster THRCC

Offline LATAMER

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2012, 02:16:47 PM »
Nicely done. Thanks. That gun drives me up a wall. Think I have one kill in it.

Offline lulu

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2012, 02:06:09 PM »
shotgunneeley,

It seems that You have created a bunch of killers.

lol

:salute
mobilis in mobile

Offline shotgunneeley

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2012, 07:50:38 PM »
88mm Flak Range Chart 2.0 has been released:

This is the new link. My original link does not work anymore.
http://www.mediafire.com/?pc3ufdb7dgqjd

I have posted an .xls version (for excel 2003 and older) and an .xlsx version (for excel 2007 and newer). In addition to the shell flight time and drop chart, I've included the average flight speeds for the four heavy bombers at 5k intervals derived from the AHII speed chart. Based on the estimated speed of the aircraft at a certain altitude, I calculated what fuse and drop setting the gunner should use to hit the aircraft at the displayed range. For example, a set of b-24's at an estimated altitude of 15k is traveling at around 275 mph (0.134 Kyards/second). If you want to fire the flak cannon when the buffs are at a direct distance of 8.7 Kyards, then you should use the shell settings and drop distance of 7 Kyards. That is the estimated direct distance the enemy will be from you when the shell explodes (hopefully right in his/her face). If a range setting is grayed out, that means that the direct distance via line of sight is greater than 9.0 Kyards, the shell at a certain fuse setting cannot reach that distance even fired straight up, or the aircraft will only come within a distance of direct sight (less than 9.0k) after the gunner should have fired the 88mm flak.

Unfortunately, due to the variables we do not know (actual aircraft velocity and altitude, angle of the 88mm flak, actual shell drop based on the angle of the gun), I can only come up with this chart to give a guestimation for settings the gunner should use. If you're serious about it, you can tape something to your screen to be used as a measurement tool for shell drop. What you'll have to do as the gunner is have your the gun settings pre-calibrated for a certain aiming point and fire when the target reaches that point. Don't try to calibrate "on the fly", there is no way you can perform these range calculations, aim and fire before the target has already moved significantly.

Hope these help and thanks for the feedback  :salute
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 08:08:50 PM by shotgunneeley »

Offline Rodent57

• AH Training Corps
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2012, 01:59:18 AM »
shotgunneeley,

Thank you.

I had started to do one of these, but I'm a big fan of not reinventing the wheel!

To make sure I understand your system ... the CM of drop is CM of drop as displayed on our screen -- is that correct?

-Rodent57
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
-AE