Author Topic: I'm alive!  (Read 4810 times)

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
Re: I'm alive!
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2012, 02:51:22 AM »
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2012, 02:54:05 AM »
Here's the real time version
http://www.w0cra.org/downloads/Nate-Temporary/DavidWhite_C210_SmokeInCockpit_KAUS_LiveATC_Feeds.mp3

00:00 starts my checkin with KAUS Approach
03:15 after vectors to San Marcos, requesting lights
04:40 phone number offer/refusal
05:40 request CTAF frequency
09:35 just the callsign?
29:45 Approach talking about me to another aircraft because San Marcos is closed then says I'm okay and airport is open.
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2012, 05:33:20 AM »
I'm trying to visualize where it happened and where you went. Can you give me the airport code where you landed, your intended flight path, and where you started getting the smoke?
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2012, 09:55:25 AM »
Good job. There's nothing else to say about a positive outcome right after the fact.

Now that it's over see what caused the fluid to get so hot. The electric pump system isn't the best in the Cessna singles which isn't the best system or really even a good system. I've heard of a pump staying on and because of the training done in the case of the Cutlass I mentioned earlier the circuit breaker being pulled/reset all the time for training didn't work as advertised.  The pump overheated and supposedly the CB fused so it couldn't be popped to shut the pump off.

Hopping into all these different types of airplanes can present some hazards as well and while the 210 isn't a hugely complex machine it's certainly different from a 172 especially with the Turbo and Pressurized variants. You really do owe it to yourself a very thorough checkout which gets you a good depth of system knowledge beyond simply how to work the various systems. How to work them when they're not working as advertised is equally if not more critical.

It's been too long since I flew a Cessna single RG to really know these things but I have an idea why the pump handle may have been warm though I wouldn't think it so hot to actually burn your hand.

Inb4 golfer tells him that it was preventable and/or his fault.

Tupac has done some things that raised flags and brows and I've said as much.  Mostly because he's doing things that echo mistakes I've made that resulted in stupid pilot moments or gotten airplanes/people hurt.  A serious event that gets the blood flowing is a good thing but you need to temper your swell of confidence so you don't find yourself in over your head on the next abnormality. He might be a natural stick that can handle the things he's experienced with relative ease making everything else appear to have that same relative ease or build a certain level of complacency. He demonstrated that on his first solo, during his further training and has done so numerous times. I speak up because I have a genuine concern as I've been in his shoes of teenage hotshot pilot and can look back at the idiocy I survived at no help of my own.

I'd like to see him succeed and more importantly I'd like to not have those concerns in the back of my mind that one day I won't have anymore. That's not today however so until then the little hairs on the back of my neck keep talking and I'll keep listening.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2012, 10:34:42 AM »
Inb4 golfer tells him that it was preventable and/or his fault.

golfer's not like that. i met the guy in person. he's a good man.....and if i were to get back into the air, i would jump in an airplane with him in a second.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2012, 10:36:27 AM »
I found me on liveatc....a friend is going to splice the feeds together so I have a record of this for posterity.

I took a handful out of my luck bag and put it in my experience bag tonight, that is for sure.

it wasn't luck. it was good training, and good studenting(is that even a word?), and you keeping your cool in what could've turned real bad real fast. awesome job.  :aok
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline xNOVAx

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2012, 11:42:53 AM »
Nice work Tupac.. Glad you made it down ok  :cheers:

NOVA - Army of Muppets - Inactive

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." -Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2012, 11:50:24 AM »
Good job on handling it and getting it on the ground especially without bending the bird. My guess on the smoke may be that it wasn't really smoke but hydraulic fluid that has been mixed in air as a fine mist due to the pump running it trough the leak. Depending on the fluid that can be a mite explosive or flammable too.

Given a hydraulic leak I am a bit surprised that there was enough to pump the gear down. I like having a mechanical backup but that means 2 kinds of systems then.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2012, 11:58:32 AM »
Thanks for the kind words. My hand still hurts today and I have blisters on my thumb, middle finger, and ring finger from the heat. I was wearing a long sleeve shirt so I pulled my hand back inside it and tried to use it as a buffer to mitigate some of the heat.

Maverick - that's what my mechanic thinks too. We are going to go out and look at the plane today and figure out what happened.

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2012, 11:58:55 AM »
WTG Tupac!

All them years of play AH must have paid off.   :salute

If that was the case he would have shift-x descended and belly flopped.
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2012, 12:34:54 PM »
Thanks for the kind words. My hand still hurts today and I have blisters on my thumb, middle finger, and ring finger from the heat. I was wearing a long sleeve shirt so I pulled my hand back inside it and tried to use it as a buffer to mitigate some of the heat.

Maverick - that's what my mechanic thinks too. We are going to go out and look at the plane today and figure out what happened.

wait? you've got,,,,,,,,blisters on your fingers??
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMfkVGCU_BA

:devil
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2012, 01:31:36 PM »
Awesome job Tupac!

I think you're a cool dude, and enjoy talking to you on the FW TS server. Happy you made it down in one piece  :cheers:
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline Barrett

• Copper Member
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2012, 01:40:30 PM »
Well Done Tupac - glad all turned out ok... :salute 
BONDEN1 9GIAP VVS RKKA

_____________________________ ______________
I'm so miserable without you, it's almost like having you here...

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2012, 01:57:31 PM »
http://flash.aopa.org/asf/pilotstories/fireinthecockpit/fireinthecockpit.cfm

Another incidence of a hydraulic issue on a cessna retract

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2012, 02:47:26 PM »
Radio sounds like you kept a cool head.  Nice job man.  :salute
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute