Author Topic: It's amazing what things AH can teach you outside the game  (Read 441 times)

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
It's amazing what things AH can teach you outside the game
« on: February 23, 2012, 10:10:59 AM »
I never have been computer inclined, and I still am not.  But after playing the game for over 5 years, I have picked up enough to get me through.  I'm taking a computer science class this semester, and it's amazing how simple it is.  Of course, there are some things that everyone knows, but diving into the different parts of the computer and file management I have mostly learned through messing around with AH.

Anyone else have a similar story?

#S#

Banshee7
Tours 86 - 296

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
Re: It's amazing what things AH can teach you outside the game
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 10:17:58 AM »

We didn't have computers in school, but I did take an Abacus Science class once, couldn't relate it to anything in real life.

:noid
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 10:28:42 AM »
Tinkering with games on more than one occasion has taught me stuff that's applicable to work as far as troubleshooting.  Little things that go wrong that you might not have run across before in work or at school, but when they crop up you are more easily able to recognize them because they happened when you were trying to get the last little bit out of your machine for gaming.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Mar

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 12:26:20 PM »
Tinkering with games on more than one occasion has taught me stuff that's applicable to work as far as troubleshooting.  Little things that go wrong that you might not have run across before in work or at school, but when they crop up you are more easily able to recognize them because they happened when you were trying to get the last little bit out of your machine for gaming.

Wiley.

+1

The first time I got a sound pack for AH was the first time I learned how to get to program files. :lol

Troubleshooting and modding games had given me a much greater understanding of how computers work, up to the point where I asked myself, how does it work physically? I got my answer, and I must say I won't be making a processor out of a hand full of tools and some scrap metal any time soon.
𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓈𝒽𝒶𝒹𝑜𝓌𝓈 𝑜𝒻 𝓌𝒶𝓇'𝓈 𝓅𝒶𝓈𝓉 𝒶 𝒹𝑒𝓂𝑜𝓃 𝑜𝒻 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒶𝒾𝓇 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝑒𝓈 𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝑔𝓇𝒶𝓋𝑒

"Onward to the land of kings—via the sky of aces!"
  Oh, and zack1234 rules. :old:

Offline Grape

• Nickel Member
      • http://promoteitright.com/Site/82nd/
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 02:19:44 PM »
The experience works with interpersonal relationships, too. You find out what kind of people will come to your rescue, low on fuel, with 7 kills and sacrifice having their name in lights so you can have a chance to survive. You also find out what type of person will leave you on one engine to fend for yourself so they can land their two kills. Good wingmen are harder to find in real life, but they exhibit some of the same personality traits that I see of the good wingmen in AH. Call your best friends at three in the morning to help you with a jumpstart or change a flat and you will see what kind of 'wingmen' they really are. There are a lot of people from AH that would step up and help out no matter what the circumstances are. <S> That is what I really love about this game.
This is a test

Offline MaSonZ

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 02:57:25 PM »
first time flying a plane in reality it felt like I had been doing it for years. Even the instructor asked my mom when he saw her the next day, "Are you sure that was Kevin's first time flying?" flight mechanics are all dumbed down in game to a degree, but it is still all so similar to reality.

The experience works with interpersonal relationships, too. You find out what kind of people will come to your rescue, low on fuel, with 7 kills and sacrifice having their name in lights so you can have a chance to survive. You also find out what type of person will leave you on one engine to fend for yourself so they can land their two kills. Good wingmen are harder to find in real life, but they exhibit some of the same personality traits that I see of the good wingmen in AH. Call your best friends at three in the morning to help you with a jumpstart or change a flat and you will see what kind of 'wingmen' they really are. There are a lot of people from AH that would step up and help out no matter what the circumstances are. <S> That is what I really love about this game.
+1
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
HogDweeb

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 05:29:12 PM »
first time flying a plane in reality it felt like I had been doing it for years. Even the instructor asked my mom when he saw her the next day, "Are you sure that was Kevin's first time flying?" flight mechanics are all dumbed down in game to a degree, but it is still all so similar to reality.
+1

Yeah I had a similar experience the first time I went up in a plane.  The pilot actually let me fly for about an hour and it felt like I had been a pilot for years
Tours 86 - 296

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 07:01:55 PM »

I think there's more really good people on average that are associated with this game than in the general populace.  But that's just me.
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Grape

• Nickel Member
      • http://promoteitright.com/Site/82nd/
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 08:50:38 PM »
I think there's more really good people on average that are associated with this game than in the general populace.  But that's just me.

AGREED!
This is a test

Offline MaSonZ

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 09:05:18 PM »
Yeah I had a similar experience the first time I went up in a plane.  The pilot actually let me fly for about an hour and it felt like I had been a pilot for years
same here... if I had the money I would get my Private sport license.....
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
HogDweeb

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 12:51:33 AM »
We didn't have computers in school, but I did take an Abacus Science class once, couldn't relate it to anything in real life.
My first computer class involved this:
:old:
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline curry1

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 01:30:44 AM »
(Image removed from quote.) :old:

So sad you mistyped one character go re-punch your card.  My Comp Sci teacher continually tells us how lucky we are to not have to do that.

My dad told me how when he was in high school they would send their cards off to be compiled and ran at Iowa State so if he effed up he would have to re-mail it back.  That's hardcore.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 01:32:44 AM by curry1 »
Curry1-Since Tour 101

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2012, 08:21:26 AM »
(Image removed from quote.) :old:

I'm just taking a class on those.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Grayeagle

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2012, 08:50:44 PM »
-embarrassed look-

I was a bit of a computer geek before Pong came out.
Had to be.. it was my job.

Electronics Countermeasures .. hydraulic tuned maggies ..discreet transistors on circuit boards ..
..you could see the AND gates by following the printed circuits no less.

Look at a circuit board and see it was a bistable oscillator.

Punch cards then mylar tape .. assembly language then hexadecimal
.. finally loading a computer into a plane instead of a 200 lb hydraulically tuned transmitter :)

VAX ..with the huge magnetic drum in a semi-trailer ..hey man, it was portable at least!

All many years before I found Air Warrior on GEnie with G-Man's help :)

-GE aka Frank
'The better I shoot ..the less I have to manuever'
-GE