Author Topic: French horn  (Read 679 times)

Offline B-17

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
French horn
« on: February 23, 2012, 04:03:30 PM »
I just picked it up today, playing a double horn (with thumb valve) and I'm wondering if anyone here has played, and if they have tips? Other than the usual, "keep your mouth tight" sort of stuff. I already play tuba, trombone and euphonium (and could play trumpet if pressed) So I think I might have heard most of the tips...

Anyone else play brass/strings/woodwings/percussion/reed instruments?

SAXES DON'T COUNT!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :furious :mad: :bhead :bhead

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
Re: French horn
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 04:20:06 PM »
OH I thought you said flench horn , lol j/K . No but I can blow a goat's horn . Not many people can do that . lol .
Army of Muppets-"Failure is impossible"-Death before dishonor
         Lead follow or get out of the way  !!

Offline B-17

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 04:21:46 PM »
OH I thought you said flench horn , lol j/K . No but I can blow a goat's horn . Not many people can do that . lol .

:lol

Offline shppr01

• AvA Staff Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 04:24:41 PM »
the fingering is similar to that of the trumpet. Just watch the thumb movements!
post a soundbyte when you can !
Ingame : Shipper

Never put your gun down to hug a grizzly.

Offline B-17

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 04:27:10 PM »
the fingering is similar to that of the trumpet. Just watch the thumb movements!
post a soundbyte when you can !

That's true, they are reasonably similar, and yeah, thumb valve is REALLY messing me up-- tuba euphoium and trumpet all only have 3 valves-- 1 key!! :P

It'll most likely be a youtube clip

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 04:27:43 PM »
I would love to learn a trumpet and I bet being able to blow a goat's horn I could do it . It's all in the lip's .
EDIT: yeah do a Youtube clip B-17 .
Army of Muppets-"Failure is impossible"-Death before dishonor
         Lead follow or get out of the way  !!

Offline Flipperk

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 04:56:34 PM »
played the trombone and tuba.  always wanted to learn how to play the french horn.
It is 2 Cents or .02 Dollars...NOT .02 Cents!

Offline xNOVAx

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 05:16:58 PM »
I love what the french horn is capable of.. Very hard to master apparently, but an awesome instrument  :rock

One of my favorite examples of of the French Horn being used in an orchestral setting. Pretty powerful stuff, especially around the 0:39 and 5:04 marks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SB71uZFLwUc
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 05:20:21 PM by xNOVAx »

NOVA - Army of Muppets - Inactive

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." -Leonardo da Vinci

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 05:31:08 PM »
I played it from 7th grade till I was a senior in high school.

The thing that separates good french horn player from great french horn players is the ability to hit the highest notes.

I believe it was a D cant remember exactly. I could get very close but really couldn't hit that.

Does the french horn you are playing have a trigger?

Edit: We are talking about the concert french horn and not the awful marching french horn correct?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 05:35:09 PM by kilo2 »
X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

"Never abandon the possibility of attack."

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 06:14:32 PM »
I just picked it up today, playing a double horn (with thumb valve) and I'm wondering if anyone here has played, and if they have tips? Other than the usual, "keep your mouth tight" sort of stuff. I already play tuba, trombone and euphonium (and could play trumpet if pressed) So I think I might have heard most of the tips...

Once upon a time I used to have a lot of time racked up behind the clarinet, and eventualy was one of only two bass clarinet players at my high school for the 4-years I was there.  Last couple years I played I was getting bored with it, no new challenge was in it for me unless I talked my family into forking out the $ for private lessons/tutoring/schooling... and I think at the time I was more concerned in coercing $ outa them for a 3rd-hand car.  I used to know a few keys on the sax too.  Been so long now, I can only maybe remember enough keys on a clarinet to play one or two scales.

But yeah, I loved it, and the gift of being able to read, compose (or at least, simpley write down) and apreciate music so early on was a blessing to me I feel.  To this day I can hear a piece of music playing in my head while reading it right off the sheet, before actually hearing it played or any sound made, and that is a wonder to me, as it's almost being litterate in a language that so many others in this world are illiterate in... yet it is not a language, just sounds, and every language has sounds.

Edit:  Oh jeez, I can't believe I forgot, it's been a long time - the other Bass Clarinetist in school was mostly blind... like further-than-8-inches-forget-about-even-seeing-a-silohet-blind blind, cane and all (he even had a dog that our fascist administrators would be kind enough to let him bring to school and use for rare and special events like a field trip or concert at a different school).  If you practice enough before performing a piece you don't need the sheet music, but with him we (most the clarinets, and especially me being the other bass) had no choice but to practice enough to of learned most every piece by heart with him (and lord knows he probabley practiced at home twice as much and hard as the next kid).  He wa such a nice person and god-gifted player too, especialy on the regular clarinet and in comparison to anything I could do, always loved helping him out and even picking up something new from him on occasion.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 06:42:09 PM by Babalonian »
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 06:41:32 PM »
I played trumpet in middle school and high school, but that is 20+ years behind me now.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline wil3ur

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 06:42:34 PM »
Learn to read in F, and learn the thumb button.  It may seem wierd now, but as a 4-valve tuba player I can tell you the fingerings will be much quicker when using your extra valve.  The sooner you learn it, the easier it'll get.  Learn the real fingering/lip positions as well because it won't ALWAYS be faster, but it can be.

"look at me I am making a derogatory remark to the OP"

Offline Pigslilspaz

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2012, 06:50:13 PM »

Can you please explain to me why the Saxophone, god's given instrument, does not count?

Also, currently trying to get my hands on a Tenor, anywhere you folks think I should look?

Quote from: Superfly
The rules are simple: Don't be a dick.
Quote from: hitech
It was skuzzy's <----- fault.
Quote from: Pyro
We just witnessed a miracle and I want you to @#$%^& acknowledge it!

Offline branch37

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 Jolly Rogers
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2012, 06:52:59 PM »
I played trombone in high school.  I even got bored and went through the closets in the band hall and found a trombone with 3 valves and a fixed slide.

CMDR Branch37
VF-17 Jolly Rogers  C.O.

Offline wil3ur

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2012, 06:59:09 PM »
I played trombone in high school.  I even got bored and went through the closets in the band hall and found a trombone with 3 valves and a fixed slide.

A trombone may have 1 valve and a working slide and remain a trombone...  A trombone with 3 valves and a fixed slide is an abomination!     :old:
"look at me I am making a derogatory remark to the OP"