Author Topic: Brits - Duxford Airshow 9/10 Sept Advice Req'd  (Read 436 times)

-rkat-

Brits - Duxford Airshow 9/10 Sept Advice Req'd
« on: April 10, 2000, 10:03:00 PM »
Some help for one of your "colonials"   will be appreciated!!!

I am going to the UK for a couple of weeks in Sept this year for a wedding. I understand the BOB Anniverary Airshow at Duxford will be on over the weekend of the 9th/10th.

Ok - the wedding is on the 10th in Windsor, so any suggestions on how to get to Duxford from Windsor? Will I be better off heading up to Duxford a day or two before the airshow (I want to spend time at the museum) and the Sat at the show) and then head back to Windsor? Is the train a viable alternative to driving??

These and many more questions to be answered!!! If your nice and I get to meet up with you, hey - I'll even have the first shout!!

Cheers'n'Beers,

-rkat-
rkath@ozemail.com.au

-rkat-

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2000, 01:59:00 AM »
punt for when the Brit's actually wake up  

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2000, 07:32:00 AM »
I know of a Coach service that goes there, but am not sure about trains...

Car might be the best, let's hope if we can catch each other on time when we go there  

Saw
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline -lynx-

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2000, 08:29:00 AM »
Agree with Saw: you can hire a small car for something like £30-40 and train is quite expensive. Duxford is ~80 miles from Windsor and getting there is quite easy. (M4->M25->M11)

Keep in mind that the actual airshow starts in the afternoon so on the day you'll have a morning to kill. And better arrive early - 9-ish to get a decent parking not miles away from the event.

If you plan to spend a day in the museum before the show - you'll have that morning to pick up pieces you've missed the first time round. Main "problem" with Duxford is that most of the exhibits are actually "live" and you'd better be prepared to see an occcasional oil drip in place of a plane.

p.s. make sure you have a lot of sun lotion no matter the weather - otherwise it's ouch-ouch! all the way home and a couple of days afterwards .

------------------
-lynx-
13 Sqn RAF

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2000, 09:01:00 AM »
Let's all meet in the Pub at  08:30  

Lynx, U in Oxfordshire....I'm in Oxford during the Week ends, maybe we could arange of going ther together ?
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline -lynx-

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2000, 10:19:00 AM »
Sure! You mean this coming weekend? Maybe hairy cuz we're moving our office on Friday I might end up setting the system up at new place on Saturday.

------------------
-lynx-
13 Sqn RAF

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2000, 10:25:00 AM »
What about that long Week end ahead ? (21-24th). Might as well do something out of that Bank holliday  
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Kirin

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2000, 12:40:00 PM »
Hey,

always wanted to ask you Brits about Duxford but always forgot on it again... great rkat brought this up! So, September it is - great, this will be after my exams... Planning to be there - I think I was in Duxford before; I only know that it was a RAF museum, well I was still a kid and didn't had the interest in WW2 yet... the planes I remember are a Warthog, a Blackbird (I think...) and... uhm - well didn't know much about aviation then      waited the whole day for a "simulator" to be shown (ya know those micky mouse hydraulique thingies you sit in and watch a film..      This time I won't miss my babies...  btw Saw, do they have 109s? Perhaps even flying ones?  *drool*

Hey, how about a AH mini con there??            

Kirin out

[This message has been edited by Kirin (edited 04-11-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Kirin (edited 04-11-2000).]
Real men fly Radial!

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2000, 01:16:00 PM »
If it involves "Lager" or "Guinness", I am your Man  
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Kirin

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2000, 02:52:00 PM »
Lager? Guiness?? never heard of ...
... wah    alrighty then - many winters have passed since I last visited a real English pub... and kinda miss the funny breakfast sausages too  
Real men fly Radial!

Offline RGJ

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2000, 04:48:00 PM »
The BoB airshow looks like it is going to be awesome if the legends airshow has anything to go on as in the past. As in the legends airshow I have seen A/C like 2xP40, 4xP51, 2xB17, 16xSpitfires(all up at once ), 4x Hurricanes, Bf109G(Black 6 before it crashed), Lancaster, P47, Blenheim, F4-F3, F6, 2xF4u(one of the best displays I have ever seen and those big birds can fly), and been inside a B17(Sally B) to name a few. Going to both shows this year and looking forward to it, for details looks at:
 http://www.iwm.org.uk/duxford/duxford1.htm

Also the museum's/hangars are something to see

Kirin try the Nelson bar in Zurich by the cinema I think they sold lager and Guinness while I was there.