Author Topic: Rockets and Gun Sights  (Read 594 times)

Offline USBP1969

• Zinc Member
Rockets and Gun Sights
« on: February 26, 2012, 08:27:47 AM »
I am sure that AH must have researched this, but I can say from experience** that when the rockets fly true to the gun sight, at least for a reasonable diatance, it was a lot more fun for the rocket shooten' pilot.

(** Fighter Ace)

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
Re: Rockets and Gun Sights
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 09:18:18 AM »
Rockets and bombs are not calibrated to the gun sight.  They are projected straight away off the mount.  So what is the question? 
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 09:37:36 AM »
"it was easier to hit something in FA, why can't we have it that here?" is what I think he was trying to say.  :devil

I'm not sure, but I believe that the way they have them firering here is more realistic. From what I've seen in wwii footage it looks more like what we have. It does take some practice to get it down, but once you figure the angles it becomes second nature.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 01:22:16 PM »
Go offline and up with rockets. Set a button to toggle screan capture. Enable the lead computing bombing and rocket sight to give you a green cross when you select rockets or bombs.

Put out a tank drone. Now fly at it from differnent alts and angle of attack and while on full zoom instead of firing the rockets hit the screan capture button. Use those screen captures to help you modify a gunsight with range and AoA specific tick marks.

The British had two gunsights that allowed a 5 degree tilt of the reflector or equivalent movement to the projected dot for rockets. MkIIL and Type1 MkIII Beaumont Modification. Everyone else learned to aim off the top of the hood and fire between 400-600.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 03:02:52 PM »
FA was much more arcade in the flight physics and weaponry setup.

I think you will find it takes a lot more practice in here to hit than it did in FA. Same goes for the rockets. They have a significant "arc" from gravity and ballistics and you can rarely ever aim the pipper on a target and expect it to land there.