Author Topic: Who here has or keep's a Garden ?  (Read 1627 times)

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
Who here has or keep's a Garden ?
« on: February 27, 2012, 12:48:40 PM »
Just got through turning mine over . I love home grown vegetables.
 . Buying from the store is not the same to me .Got a different taste to me . My garden is 60 feet by 50 . I will turn it over one more time and plant . Not sure what all I want to plant this year yet but I know it will be tomatoes for one for sure . Any of you guy's keep or have a garden ?
Army of Muppets-"Failure is impossible"-Death before dishonor
         Lead follow or get out of the way  !!

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Who here has or keep's a Garden ?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 02:18:39 PM »
  Yes...... :D

:salute

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 02:52:41 PM »
Cool ! What all you plant ?
I'm trying to figure out what all I want to plant this year . Just used my last jar of tomato juice in some soup I got cooking now .Going to be KILLER soup . I have one hole deer back strap in it and it's smelling GOOD , lol .

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 02:59:47 PM »
I've got a small 8'x4' garden, and I'm in my third season.  I'm learning, and it's getting better.  I put some garlic in last fall and am looking forward to it in 4 months or so.
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 03:09:25 PM »
I have..or did this summer but unfortunately it came to a crashing halt a few weeks ago .... I bought my dog one of those big tennis balls (they are the size of a soccer ball) as he is very old and his teeth aren't what they used to be so he can't destroy it in 30 seconds flat...in any case,there he was messing about with his ball when he flicked it into the garden... This dog would get kicked off a golf course with all the divots he makes just flicking and chasing balls... need less to say my crop was flattened ... the only survivors were the celery (damn that stuff is resilient) and some of the tomatoes (the plants are flat on the ground but still producing fruit even with the root system exposed) ... oh yeah and some sweetcorn but that is in a totally different area. 
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 03:12:41 PM by SPKmes »

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 03:30:57 PM »
Nice Jayhawk .

SPKmes , you can do like I had to do and put up a hot wire around it . If it was not for that wire the deer would wipe me out in one night .
The price on stuff now day's make's it worth the while to have one and if time's get bad like what I have been hearing on TV it's a good thing to have . Just think if something did happen at lest you would have something to eat .

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 03:34:48 PM »
Our garden ranges is size every year (last two years we've been too busy to plant), but we usually plant around 50 tomato plants, a lot of purple hull peas, green beans, squash, banana peppers.  That's pretty much it.  I love the taste of homegrown purple peas and green beans, but I don't eat many tomatoes.
Tours 86 - 296

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 03:38:56 PM »
 I had 25 tomato plant's last year and I don't eat that many but I can most of them for soup and just to drink right out of the jar . I could set down and drink a hole jar right now , lol .
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 04:06:15 PM by Flench »

Offline Frodo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 04:08:39 PM »
Just finished putting in potatoes and red onions. Way too early in a normal year, but I took a chance.

I tilled the garden the first time in the middle of January. Unheard of here in Missouri tilling in January.  :noid

I do it for the taste and variety of produce, and I got spoiled when I was young.  :D

JG11 

TEAMWORK IS ESSENTIAL....IT GIVES THE ENEMY SOMEONE ELSE TO SHOOT AT.

Offline curry1

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 04:23:47 PM »
I have about a 20'x20' garden.  We grow peas, serranos, jalapenos, tomatoes, cabbage(which has never turned out well), and some strawberries.
Curry1-Since Tour 101

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 04:29:41 PM »
Cool ! What all you plant ?
I'm trying to figure out what all I want to plant this year . Just used my last jar of tomato juice in some soup I got cooking now .Going to be KILLER soup . I have one hole deer back strap in it and it's smelling GOOD , lol .

We grow many things in the garden,flowers,tomatoes,chives,green onions but mostly flowers.

There are hummingbirds that nest somewhere in my yard,havent found a nest yet but they're always around so we plant flowers just for them. Living up in Canada our growing season is short and some plants just dont have the time to finish growing.

It's usually end of May before we get around to planting,last year we only put in a couple of tomatoe plants and flowers but hopefully this year we can do a proper garden!

:salute
PS: we usually have some unique variaties of flowers!

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 04:31:33 PM »
I planted some basil and carrots in mine... I just have plant boxes on my balcony though...
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline tmetal

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 04:41:16 PM »
I haven't done any planting but I am starting to do some research on growing my own tobacco. got any tips? (I live near DFW if that makes a difference for you.)
The real problem is anyone should feel like they can come to this forum and make a wish without being treated in a derogatory manner.  The only discussion should be centered around whether it would work, or how it would work and so on always in a respectful manner.

-Skuzzy 5/18/17

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2012, 04:55:11 PM »

legal or   :uhoh

:noid
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2012, 05:00:38 PM »
I haven't done any planting but I am starting to do some research on growing my own tobacco. got any tips? (I live near DFW if that makes a difference for you.)

I have never grown tobacco but I think unless the climate and soil is correct for it (which I don't think DFW is), is going to be challenging to say the lest..

quick google search yielded.
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/aa260
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)