Author Topic: Who here has or keep's a Garden ?  (Read 1620 times)

Offline tmetal

• Gold Member
Re: Who here has or keep's a Garden ?
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2012, 05:02:39 PM »
I pull up or kill weeds, legal or otherwise.

Thanks for the info Ardy123.

Does anybody on here grow their own tobacco for their own use?
The real problem is anyone should feel like they can come to this forum and make a wish without being treated in a derogatory manner.  The only discussion should be centered around whether it would work, or how it would work and so on always in a respectful manner.

-Skuzzy 5/18/17

Offline Nypsy

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2012, 05:18:49 PM »
Weather has been so warm here in NJ the tulips started sprouting a week ago and I saw my first Robin a week ago. 2-3 weeks early for both.

Sorry for being off topic. :bolt:
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 05:20:29 PM by Nypsy »

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2012, 05:57:54 PM »
Very cool guy's <S> .
tmetal , I mastered the art of growing tobacco a few year's back and it was the best I have ever smoked . One thing tho , do not Handel them without glove's on or you will get nicotine poison . They are easy to grow but very very hard to get started . If you decide to grow some and have any question PM me and I will be glad to help . Here's a pic of my last crop . I let it hang in the shop for a hole year before I cure it .There about half grow in that pic .

Damiana is also a good plant to grow it's good for tea that help's to alleviate stress, anxiety and anxiousness.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 06:13:20 PM by Flench »
Army of Muppets-"Failure is impossible"-Death before dishonor
         Lead follow or get out of the way  !!

Offline katanaso

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2012, 06:14:17 PM »
How about some more pictures of the various gardens or boxes?

I don't have anything growing at our new house, but at my old house, I did the 'tree' type stuff -- mangos, avocados, lemons, papaya, and bananas, all started from seedling or tiny tree (under 2-3 feet).  Once we're settled in here, I'm going with boxes and above ground.
mir
80th FS "Headhunters"

The most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2012, 06:20:22 PM »
I have  not tried to grow in boxes but would make thing's more easier to handle . I did not take any pic for the last few year's . Don't know why , but here's a pic of my tomato's a few year's back . There not very old there. They got over my head when they were done. you can see the tobacco in the back grown .

Here is a pic of some of the tomato's I got off that crop .
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 07:04:12 PM by Flench »

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2012, 07:44:22 PM »
Nothing better then garden tomatos.............Bread, Mayo and tomato,salt and pepper.......repeat  :lol  

I do a 12x30 garden every year, everything from Tomatos to peppers( green and thai chillis Haberano ect), cukes, squash, and corn. Im fortunate that although we have alot of deer, my property backs up to corn fields, THey also spend time around my apple and quince trees so they leave the garden alone most of the time.
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2012, 07:51:28 PM »
That's cool mbailey , the deer around here are crazy . Before I put up the wire they even ate my pepper plant's , lol .

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2012, 07:54:56 PM »
Yea, i had one eat a couple of my Haberano plants.......would loved to have seen the look on its face  :lol  Or better yet, the next day  :D
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2012, 07:57:37 PM »
Yea, i had one eat a couple of my Haberano plants.......would loved to have seen the look on its face  :lol  Or better yet, the next day  :D
Yeah no joke , hahahahahaha

Offline steely07

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2012, 08:12:19 PM »
I don't have a conventional garden, I do have an aquaponics system however, growing fish and vege's together in my backyard.

Here's a pic of the actual system :

Basically a large fish tank below a grow bed for the plants, water is pumped from the tank to the grow bed, and returns to the tank through a siphon type device, the fish waste feeds the plants and

the plants clean the water, all I add is fishfood and the occasional top-up of water when evaporation takes a toll.

Here's a couple of trout we pulled out last year :

Beans and pumpkin growing :

corn and tomatoes that are growing at the moment :

Last years harvest of silver perch :

It's a great way to grow healthy food at home, this is just a small system as we have a small yard, but it can scale to any size, have even seen people running tiny ones using a normal goldfish bowl

some small system examples here

http://backyardaquaponics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1617

and large ones!

http://backyardaquaponics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1619

Aces High, Wing Commander, Dickweed Heavy Bomber Group: www.dickweedhbg.com

FSO Films : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFs6CAXBQoVBctljybD65fA?view_as=subscriber

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2012, 08:18:35 PM »
Very cool guy's <S> .
tmetal , I mastered the art of growing tobacco a few year's back and it was the best I have ever smoked . One thing tho , do not Handel them without glove's on or you will get nicotine poison . They are easy to grow but very very hard to get started . If you decide to grow some and have any question PM me and I will be glad to help . Here's a pic of my last crop . I let it hang in the shop for a hole year before I cure it .There about half grow in that pic .
(Image removed from quote.)
Damiana is also a good plant to grow it's good for tea that help's to alleviate stress, anxiety and anxiousness.
(Image removed from quote.)

Flench, I just noticed you were from Memphis, sir.  I'm right up 51 from ya!
Tours 86 - 296

Offline cattb

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2012, 08:19:11 PM »
Wife and I grow garden, and daughter helps some. We grow beans , tomatoes, sweet corn, pumkins, potatoes, and basil and other odds and ends. I use 3 hot wires for protection and it is not foolproof with the sweet corn. Also plant some field corn for the critters.

I use a ford 8n or a massey ferguson 50, old 2 bottom plow, old disc, old John Deere model 99 horse drawn 2 row planter which has been converted to 3 point.. Also use cut corn stalks for mulch on some of it. Works to a point.

Wife works fulltime now and she did alot of hand weeding, I do the rototilling and some handweeding. Last year we were overgrown with weeds and could not keep up. Probably plant more sweet corn and less small stuff that needs more attention.
:Salute Easy8 EEK GUS Betty

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2012, 08:22:27 PM »
That's way cool steely07 . I have been doing my research on doing the same thing . I all ready have the rock's and the tank and the little basket's to plant in . Just got to set it all up . That's the way to go if you have a small place and wow at how big the fish are . How big were they when you put them in the tank ?
EDIT: Sound's like you got it all together cattb. I just sold my 8n and got a ford 3000 .
@Banshee7 - I'm really in MS on the south side of Enid lake . We need to hook up and do some fishing .
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 08:28:46 PM by Flench »

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2012, 08:26:28 PM »

@Banshee7 - I really in MS on the south side of Enid lake .

Ahhh, rgr.  I know the general area.
Tours 86 - 296

Offline steely07

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2012, 08:28:55 PM »
That's way cool steely07 . I have been doing my research on doing the same thing . I all ready have the rock's and the tank and the little basket's to plant in . Just got to set it all up . That's the way to go if you have a small place and wow at how big the fish are . How big were they when you put them in the tank ?

Good to hear you're thinking of doing something similar Flench, I think it's a great way to go, no weeding, no watering, just feed the fish and nature does the rest :)

Those Silver Perch were about 6cm (3 inches) or so when they went into the tank, they grew to that size in about 9 months, were very tasty as well.

We also didn't buy any tomato's for about 9 months of last year, had to give a bunch away as well, they were coming out our ears!

My only wish is to move to a bigger place so I can set up a much larger system and become a little more self-sufficient.
Aces High, Wing Commander, Dickweed Heavy Bomber Group: www.dickweedhbg.com

FSO Films : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFs6CAXBQoVBctljybD65fA?view_as=subscriber