Author Topic: Windows 8 Beta  (Read 1324 times)

Offline Gatr

• Copper Member
Re: Windows 8 Beta
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2012, 10:22:50 AM »
Yeah on the hardware probs on older stuff... that is just a big fat no as far as 8 is concerned...   

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2012, 06:59:24 AM »
According to some of our devs at my work, DirectX performance in Windows 8 is isn't as good as in Windows 7.

And we concur.  Performance will suffer as compared to Windows 7.

If you are running Windows XP and are thinking about an upgrade, grab Windows 7.  Windows 8 is really a bloatfest.

Windows 8 beta for me... runs smooth and better frame rates....
Salute Gatr

If you are getting better frame rates than with Windows 7 or Windows XP, then you had something seriously wrong with your previous installations.  There is absolutely no way a clean Windows 8 installation will run anything faster than a clean installation of Windows XP and/or Windows 7.  No way at all.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 07:03:32 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Gatr

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2012, 11:26:45 AM »
Thanks Skuzzzzzzz I think the key for me on 8 was my 7 install was way old and full of CRAP and my 8 install was clean :)
thx man
gatr

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2012, 11:36:58 AM »
Every time a new version of Windows comes out, I have profound feelings of deja-vu.

1. The new OS is bloated compared to the old.

2. The new OS is another $100+ and older OS owners cannot upgrade for free.

3. Microcost gives the new OS a great exterior and lauds the new OS as reinventing the wheel.

4. The new OS always has some surprise that makes older hardware or software useless (I have fond memories of being unable to program my gameport joysticks, way back when).
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2012, 12:09:20 PM »
Every time a new version of Windows comes out, I have profound feelings of deja-vu.

3. Microcost gives the new OS a great exterior and lauds the new OS as reinventing the wheel.

4. The new OS always has some surprise that makes older hardware or software useless (I have fond memories of being unable to program my gameport joysticks, way back when).

We have to hope the linux guys will get their act together sometime and produce something worthwhile. You can already run AH2 in linux but performance is too poor for real gameplay.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2012, 12:49:50 PM »

Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2012, 11:50:15 PM »
The problem we are all faced with is that this is an inevitable change in Windows. Of course the company is going to mainstream the development of Windows at the same time they embrace more and more devices. The obvious advantage Apple has is that their OS works on their computers and not computers and cell phones and tablets and so on and so on. Like Skuzzy points out MS has always embraced the bloat as an evil they must live with in order to make things easier in the end. MS also knows that millions of people will be really upset by this change but also inevitably someone is going to upset at every turn. So it doesnt matter if they care or not (I suspect they dont) this is the direction they are taking.

So... stop buying Windows until the product funnels down to something useful. Maybe two or three gens and things will smooth out.

@Skuzzy: I feel your pain. You know you are going to have to have a W8 system or you cant support them... right? With the job market like it is I think I have to learn this version also or risk looking lost at future job interviews... like thats ever going to happen.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2012, 11:59:41 PM »
The obvious advantage Apple has is that their OS works on their computers and not computers and cell phones and tablets and so on and so on.

This is not entirely true as IOS is based on OSX and there's nothing stopping people from installing OSX to any regular PC hardware (Hackintosh) except Apple policies. Hardware support is surprisingly good given you use similar brands Apple uses.

With the job market like it is I think I have to learn this version also or risk looking lost at future job interviews... like thats ever going to happen.

You never know. With major companies laying off 6000 at once nobody can have any 'job security'. The only ones that can control their faith are the self employed or small business owners like me. And even we face the possibility of the business drying out.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2012, 01:48:48 AM »
I meant they are not trying to reach out to tablets and cell phones with the same OS. MS acts like they are trying to create something to do everything and the swiss army knife of hardware can only get bloated not slimmer with time.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2012, 06:19:25 AM »
<snip>@Skuzzy: I feel your pain. You know you are going to have to have a W8 system or you cant support them... right? With the job market like it is I think I have to learn this version also or risk looking lost at future job interviews... like thats ever going to happen.

As part of the job/career path I have to be pretty knowledgeable about all the Microsoft OS's.  It does not mean I have to like them.

I feel for the actual coders, more than anyone else.  They have to figure out how to work around all the stupid compatibility issues between the various OS's.  Then there are the different design choices which introduce different problems from one OS to another.

If Microsoft makes it a habit to introduce a new OS every couple of years,....retirement is not going to come soon enough for me. :)

Windows 8 introduces a new level of control for Microsoft, over all computers.  I am not sure which is worse.  Microsoft taking more control over your computer or people being okay with it.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 06:21:38 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2012, 07:38:03 AM »
I meant they are not trying to reach out to tablets and cell phones with the same OS. MS acts like they are trying to create something to do everything and the swiss army knife of hardware can only get bloated not slimmer with time.

They're not? Have you read news about the new Mountain Lion OSX? They're repeating what MS did, although probably better. It's going to be an iOS like desktop for macs. I'm not going to do THAT upgrade for sure :)

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2012, 07:40:03 AM »
Windows 8 introduces a new level of control for Microsoft, over all computers.  I am not sure which is worse.  Microsoft taking more control over your computer or people being okay with it.

Luckily there are free and open alternatives around. Too bad gaming companies have so scarse support for linux. If games would run on linux I would spend no more seconds on windows at home.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2012, 08:50:54 AM »
Luckily there are free and open alternatives around. Too bad gaming companies have so scarse support for linux. If games would run on linux I would spend no more seconds on windows at home.

It is too bad all the various Linux distros make it so difficult for game companies to support Linux.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2012, 09:27:37 AM »
As part of the job/career path I have to be pretty knowledgeable about all the Microsoft OS's.  It does not mean I have to like them.

I feel for the actual coders, more than anyone else.  They have to figure out how to work around all the stupid compatibility issues between the various OS's.  Then there are the different design choices which introduce different problems from one OS to another.

If Microsoft makes it a habit to introduce a new OS every couple of years,....retirement is not going to come soon enough for me. :)

This makes me a little uncomfortable, also.
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2012, 11:52:59 AM »
It is too bad all the various Linux distros make it so difficult for game companies to support Linux.

According to the linux supporters linux distros shouldn't make any difference in supporting software. I have been in the same kind of understanding about this as you Skuzzy. Could you give me some practical examples, I'd love to bash the fundamentalist supporters on a couple bulletin boards ;)

I have already cursed the amount of distros myself when trying to find problem solutions and programs never seem to work the same between them.