Author Topic: Skinning the Bf110  (Read 4696 times)

Offline crowbaby

• Copper Member
Skinning the Bf110
« on: March 07, 2012, 05:09:10 AM »
Been offline about a year due to computer failure  :mad: Thinking of getting my hand in again by doing some skins for the 110. Krusty's done a handful of good skins for it, but other than that it hasn't seen much love. I've had a look at the old mapping on it and it's not too terrible:

There's some stretching, but other than on the canopy top, engine housings and the spine, it's mostly in places that aren't too important, like the gear bay doors, etc. The repeats are annoying, like the whole cockpit area repeats left and right, which will be a pain for geschwader emblems, or even just being accurate with panels lines. All understandable given that this was done as a 256x256 skin originally (I remember having a go at skinning it ten years ago!). Over all, though, there are huge expanses of pixels to play with at 1024 resolution and it should be possible to make a pretty good looking skin.

It'll take me a while just to get the layout ad panel lines done, but again, if anyone has any particular aircraft they want skinned, let me know.  I'll be doing the C-4 first, so I guess it's mostly scenario skins.

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
Re: Skinning the Bf110
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 09:38:12 AM »
Best of luck  :aok
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 10:12:20 AM »
Most scenarios don't use the 110C much. Just BOB if I recall. Because of this I would skin what you love. Skin what you want to see and think others would enjoy, rather than trying to fill in "holes" or whatnot.

Note that if you do a 110C the 110G is very similar: about 90% the same layout. So if you do the one you have a handy template to move to the other.

The problem is the selections. There aren't too many 110G dayfighter schemes. And, variations in mottling aside, there's only a handful of 110C patterns as well. There are some that haven't been skinned yet, though I would say skinning the 110s is a labor of love rather than fun. If you like to get into skinning I might suggest a more common plane with more options and a more recent bitmap layout.

Glad you're trying it again!  :aok Good luck!

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 10:45:01 AM »
One thing, the 110 is an aging model i hope it will be updated soon... Might be useful to consult with HTC, not to make a beautiful skin then throw it out after a couple monts with the new 3D model arrives
 :salute
AoM
City of ice

Offline crowbaby

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 01:24:40 PM »
Thanks guys.

I chose this rather than a more common aircaft cos there are still some slots free and I wanted to get back into practice on something that's overlooked. I know it may get a new model soon, but there was the same worry when i worked on the Ju88 and it's not been updated yet. Plus I just like the 110 - I really get what Krusty says about any skinning being a labour of love - we may never even get to see them in game.

For schemes, I'm just gathering photos at the moment. I thought I might do an early war sceme before the mottling was introduced, then maybe a winter camo overpaint, or have a crack at ZG1 with the wasp nose, I've never tried nose art before. I'd like to go on to do the G as well, so I'm keeping panel lines organised so that I can make all the changes. I'm actually trying to be organised and patient in my workflow for once, rather than hopping all over the place like I usually do.

I used the existing scheme to get a rough idea of the layout of various parts, then the skinviewer to line out exactly where each is on the template.

Then I use that as a guide to try and fit some schematics inside, took a fair bit of squashing, stretching and distorting after this pic. Also, most of the schemes in books, etc are pretty rubbish. I don't know whether it's more frustrating when they disagree with each other, or when they've all copied the same mistake.

Then I create the panel lines as paths, with a separate set for each element/type. I load these into the viewer again and compare them to photos. Which is where it becomes an art reconciling reality with a model. Also, some things look okay from one angle:

but then when you see them at another, the lack of polygons can turn a straight line into an angle - I had to pull this curve back a couple of pixels from the nose to get rid of the distortion. And the purple line under the ammo doors in the pic above looks straight and horizontal in a side view, still not sure how much to bend that.

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 01:44:14 PM »
If you need I can get you a collection of skins for the 110G/C I have quite a few books on the 110G including skinning art and details.

JG 52

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 02:39:01 PM »
Most potential skin ideas won't fit on the 110C. Keep in mind it has the weaker engines and the lesser firepower. You start getting past the D model and it really fits the in-game G better in most cases (barring the 30mm, which not even all G-models had).

I had a few ideas I wanted to do eventually but they fell to the side as I dragged on with existing skin projects.

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 04:01:48 PM »
Would the 110D fit the 110C? Looks like the same engine housing.

Bf 110Ds of II/ZG 26
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 04:27:00 PM »
D was pretty similar, yes.

Offline DEECONX

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 04:34:38 PM »
Would the 110D fit the 110C? Looks like the same engine housing.
(Image removed from quote.)
Bf 110Ds of II/ZG 26

That's a sweet picture!  :aok

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 04:44:24 PM »
It is classic. That's why I skinned it.

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012, 04:50:48 PM »
The photo looks like it is 3UK8 and the skin looks like 3UKB?  Or am I seeing things.  (BTW that happens to be the 110C skin I use  :cheers:)
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2012, 05:09:31 PM »
What you're seeing is pigment bleed-out on the blacks... It's making them "glow" so to speak and blurring their boundaries. It's really a B. I did the research way back when I did the skin. The last one was always a letter. Like 3U+KT, etc.

(going from memory, don't have the research in front of me)

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2012, 05:15:49 PM »
What you're seeing is pigment bleed-out on the blacks... It's making them "glow" so to speak and blurring their boundaries. It's really a B. I did the research way back when I did the skin. The last one was always a letter. Like 3U+KT, etc.

(going from memory, don't have the research in front of me)

Rgr, I figured you had done your research on it and it was most likely just me.  Maybe a thicker, bolder font on the skin would look more similar?  I'm no skinner, and I admire the work you do, just my opinion. 
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2012, 05:19:28 PM »
It is classic. That's why I skinned it.

(Image removed from quote.)
I completely forgot it was the same one.  :rofl

I hope you redo this one first when the 110 gets updated. (hint, HiTech, hint)
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com