Author Topic: Field 88mm AA ballistics  (Read 582 times)

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
Field 88mm AA ballistics
« on: March 07, 2012, 08:54:00 AM »
Question for HTC:

Is the shell trajectory on the 88mm field AA gun supposed to be modeled ballistically, like a tank round, with the burst occuring on the trajectory?  If it is, then I think I have detected a bug, and will post a bug report.

Or instead of the above, is there a space around the theoretical burst point, where the shell can randomly burst, as with "puffy ack"?

MH
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 09:10:12 AM by TDeacon »

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Field 88mm AA ballistics
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 01:43:02 PM »
I would think the shell travels along its trajectory for the time you set the fuze for and then explodes at that time. No box just an explosion at that point of the trajectory.

Reread the first three words, I'm not positive.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 02:04:35 PM »
They disperse way more than tank rounds and any other ground gun from what I've seen.  Could that account for what you saw?  I was trying to hit a tank at range with AP and with the same sight picture seemed to be deviating about ten yards in any direction, the tank wasn't more than about 3k from me I believe.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 03:29:54 PM »
Testing the 88 offline I noticed that random dispersion was an element in aiming. This may be mechanical upset due to the recoil moving your last aimpoint off line when the gun resets to it's firing position. One of my tests was to fire at a tank 600 away without changing the aimpoint during repeated fire. The aim point in response to recoil walked all around the tank once I achived my first hit. Then not hitting the tank again for up to 10 shots.

You might want ot enquire if spin drift is modeled into the 88. Gyroscopic precession yaw is an external ballistics factor in cannon firing equation sheets. Since we don't have wind, wind drift is not a factor.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 03:43:50 PM »
One strange thing I observed was when shooting at a strafing 110, moving from left to right. 

Range was set to the minimum (1.5K), and I had just ceased fire since he was too close.  About a second later, a round burst off to the right of the ballistic trajectory and killed him (I was credited with the kill).  There was no one else at the base.  So I (apparently) saw both a lateral displacement of the burst, as well as a brief delay.  This could correspond to a "kill box" mechanism, which exists centered on the theoretical burst point, like puffy ack. 

I still await HTC's response, as only they would know. 

MH

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 04:40:44 PM »
I think they just added shell randomization to it. Our tank rounds have no randomization what so ever, and no gyroscopic drift.

Just pure basless speculation here, but that randomization (and perhaps gyroscopic drift) are present for the FlaK 36 might mean they are working on more realistic balistics for our tank guns as well.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"