Author Topic: Guys How's This Latest Patch 2.27-3 Working Out?  (Read 3672 times)

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Re: Guys How's This Latest Patch 2.27-3 Working Out?
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2012, 11:23:33 AM »
did a pingplot and at line 13 there is a 100% loss

(Image removed from quote.)

that should explain my FPS, now about those bombers........... :old:

That route has nothing to do with playing the game, it is where our web page is located. Click ping details in the arena selections screen to do a game server route trace.

HiTech

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2012, 11:25:58 AM »
Why not?  if the CPU is busy having to rebuild the TCP/IP packets

packets don't get 'rebuilt', they get lost. Ingame that translates in warping planes, as the 3D engine is not waiting for the said packets to keep the program executing.
now posting as SirNuke

Offline GhostRider2110

• Copper Member
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2012, 11:33:02 AM »
Does AH use UDP with it's on error correction? If so, then OK, if not sorry, yes bad choice of wording... lost and segments are ask to be resent. I have seen the load of a system go up during bad packet loss, also impacting anything running on the system. --Mitch
--Mitch AKA SEBaker

XO I./JG 1 DGS II scenario
Mitchell Baker AMA 7548 GSWA WB251 10th AF USSMA 358
Webmaster THRCC

Offline Lab Rat 3947

• Silver Member
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2012, 12:23:19 PM »
I copied the address form the ping details, then did this one.

LtngRydr
14th FG Grounded

80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2012, 01:41:07 PM »
Does AH use UDP with it's on error correction? If so, then OK, if not sorry, yes bad choice of wording... lost and segments are ask to be resent. I have seen the load of a system go up during bad packet loss, also impacting anything running on the system. --Mitch

AH uses both UDP and TCP depending on what type of information is being sent.
Basically voice and position updates use udp. Position updates because your really not interested in an old position to be retransmitted when you have already received a more current one.

TCP for everything else that must be delivered.

HiTech

Offline GhostRider2110

• Copper Member
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2012, 01:49:46 PM »
Thanks hitech... Good to know for us geeks.. :)
--Mitch AKA SEBaker

XO I./JG 1 DGS II scenario
Mitchell Baker AMA 7548 GSWA WB251 10th AF USSMA 358
Webmaster THRCC

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2012, 02:39:58 PM »
AH uses both UDP and TCP depending on what type of information is being sent.
Basically voice and position updates use udp. Position updates because your really not interested in an old position to be retransmitted when you have already received a more current one.

TCP for everything else that must be delivered.

HiTech

Does this mean the client side results of our gunnery are delivered to the player's client we are shooting at via TCP?
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2012, 02:53:52 PM »
Yep,

Tested my theory about internet woes, and once my ping was back to normal, my game performance also returned.  I had no warps, only one disco (at which time I again was able to find att.net in Dallas showing errors).

I don't think that it is a coincidence that everyone was peachy and keen, until the same time that I noticed huge internet packet loss here. 

LabRat,

Looking at that ping, it looks like that could be your problem (pings between 500 - 600 ms).  My BAD ping was 180 - 200.  My normal ping is about 70 - 80.  Now, I was running a satellite connection at one time that delivered those sort of pings and folks would SCREAM whenever I flew.   Dial up connection, was much better.  Since my tech days are Looooong gone, don't quote me about your ping plot.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2012, 02:56:02 PM »
I copied the address form the ping details, then did this one.
(Image removed from quote.)

Ok LabRat, you have some horrific latency there.  1/2 a second is pretty bad.  What type of Internet connection do you have?

Also note, you are being piped through Level3.  Expect packet loss through that network all the time.  It will get worse during U.S. prime time.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 03:36:41 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2012, 02:57:27 PM »
Noir,

My suggestion to turn everything down and make adjustments, would be a radical move, but just about everyone's setup is going to be different, and when things in the game itself change, a little flexibility on your part may find that you have more to gain than loose.

An example for me, I trade off texture size for antialiasing (to some extent) to achieve smooth game play.  Through various patches, I have discovered that I was better off with reversing the trade off.  So what was good for one patch in another patch is different.  In each of the successive patches from HTC, I have gained something.  It is true that every once in a while, that something (in the form of new eye candy) may not be as important to me and thus, I need to dial additional settings back.

What I have noticed personally, that going "back to the drawing board" with my settings helps me to find optimum settings faster.

The tracer bug, as well as other graphic bug glitches will eventually be addressed by HTC with little if any effect on frame rates.  Someone said this long ago, when you write the coad for one thing, it may break some other unforseen coad.  With HTC's long history of consistent attention to modifications and bug fixes, I wouldn't sweat it.  So, I hope I answered your question of why you might at least consider doing a checklist run through on your settings.   I have noticed odd stutters or fps issues before and did a quick check and found that I had flipped a switch here or left ground detail on while I was flying (which I use when in a GV).

Offline Lab Rat 3947

• Silver Member
« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2012, 01:29:47 AM »
my internet connection is through Cricket, it's the only thing I can afford right now. it is a UM185C modem.

I have it plugged into a Belkin 7 Port Powered USB Hub along with my joystick, throttle, pedals, & headset as well.

When I came online in Jan 2011 and until a few weeks ago, the pingplots were usually in the green column, < 200, with only an occasional yellow bar.

Played tonight, different map, FPS in the 30-40s with detailed terrain & water on, even in large groups of planes.

Only strange part was that I had to remap some functions on my CH throttle and Logitech 3D Pro; my Saitek Combat Pro Pedals weren't affected. this is the first time that has ever happened to me.
I did not use any of the software that came my controls. I just plugged them in, judging by what i have read on the boards it sounded like the most trouble free way to go.

Dell XPS 400 Pentium D 820 Dual Core 2.80GHz, 800 FSB, 4 Gig RAM, XP Pro SP3.
Just got a 650W PS from Dell, the largest upgrade they had for my computer, will try to get it in soon.    :old:
LtngRydr
14th FG Grounded

80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2012, 04:56:58 AM »
Ok, so you have a USB modem sharing a port with your USB headset.  That explains it.  Both are high demand data devices.  The USB bus is a very stupid hardware device which interrupts the CPU for every byte of data it gets.  Your are funneling all your heavy data use USB devices into one stream.

Most computers have two USB hubs internally.  You are only using one of the hubs.  You might do better if you move the headset or the modem off the Belkin hub and keep plugging into USB ports into your computer until you see an improvement in the Ping Plot.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2012, 11:22:31 AM »
As to the original post, the fact that there aren't a ton of "HT has RUIINNNEEDDDDD the game for me" (Or Skuzzy has ruined it...he more often than not seems to take the blame for such things ;) ) threads about, I'd say the patch was a positive thing
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2012, 01:38:07 PM »
I'd say the patch was a positive thing

It has positivley fluffed my frame rate. (And such frame rate drops and freezes has caused my own persoal loss of the majority of my perk points along with the buffs bug.)

It's clearly mixed success and failure.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube+Twitch - 20Dolby10

"BE a man and shoot me in the back" - pez

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2012, 05:55:26 PM »
I would enjoy a version roll-back.
now posting as SirNuke