Author Topic: "spawn" points  (Read 842 times)

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
"spawn" points
« on: March 09, 2012, 07:39:30 AM »
How about omitting the spawn points on the maps? just use a small arrow at a base which points in the general direction of the base you can spawn to. This would eliminate "spawn" camping. The allies did not have maps with spawn points on them, they had to go out and find them. I think it would certainly add another element to the great game we play. In addition, it would make the "storch" more of a asset in the game instead of being a hangar queen. Its not much of a skill deal for someone to spawn "camp" a spawn point and then sit there for hours, killing anything that spawns in and then landing 35 or 40 kills. I think the challenge of finding the GV's in the game would be more interesting than just looking at your clip board map, flying to the spawn point and killing GV's as long as your ord's or fuel lasted.
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
Re: "spawn" points
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 07:58:24 AM »
How about omitting the spawn points on the maps? just use a small arrow at a base which points in the general direction of the base you can spawn to. This would eliminate "spawn" camping. The allies did not have maps with spawn points on them, they had to go out and find them. I think it would certainly add another element to the great game we play. In addition, it would make the "storch" more of a asset in the game instead of being a hangar queen. Its not much of a skill deal for someone to spawn "camp" a spawn point and then sit there for hours, killing anything that spawns in and then landing 35 or 40 kills. I think the challenge of finding the GV's in the game would be more interesting than just looking at your clip board map, flying to the spawn point and killing GV's as long as your ord's or fuel lasted.

this is basically how spawn points work, with out them you are driving for hours on hours to get to a certain point. How to stop spawn camping? have someone bring eggs, then have friendlies spawn in and push the campers back, it works every time.
I agree spawns need to be "widen", even if it 2-3k wider, it would help tankers on offense not be "crunched" together in a small area and increase survivability some what. However most maps do have multiple spawns into a base, this increases the less likely of a base having multiple defenders in one spawn area.

Frankly the Spawn system is fine on larger maps, on smaller maps like the one we have now, you really don't even have a "ground" war, for example Rooks only have 2 GV spawns entirely to cover on the map so you probably are going to run into a heavy camped spawn.
JG 52

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 08:21:15 AM »
I don't think he's talking about moving the spawn points them selves. I think he just wants them removed from the maps. This way you don't have a big arrow pointing at the spot your enemy will spawn in at.

While I like the idea of NOT knowing where the spawn points are.... heck I can't ID them now WITH the arrow  :rolleyes: even if you had no clue as to where the spawn points were you would still have spawn camping. As soon as one was "found" people would now where it was and before long someone would have a new map out showing all the spawn points.

I like the other idea of adding a randomness of the spawn location. Create a mile wide circle at the spawn point and have the vehicles spawn in randomly anywhere inside that circle.

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 09:21:25 AM »
I like the other idea of adding a randomness of the spawn location. Create a mile wide circle at the spawn point and have the vehicles spawn in randomly anywhere inside that circle.

+1 except make it two miles.  :)

:old: Camping with the now very tight spawn area seems somewhat silly.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 09:23:01 AM by Midway »

PARADISE ON EARTH  ------->  http://www.youtube.com/v/g_D4RhfCY2M&autoplay=1&hd=1&fs=1   <-------  PARADISE ON EARTH :)

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 09:45:34 AM »
The current situation with the extreme ease of setting up a spawn camp is exactly why I have never been interested in the GV portion of the game.  Make the spawn random over a large enough area and I might give GVing a try again.

Until then, no thanks.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 10:14:28 AM »
The current situation with the extreme ease of setting up a spawn camp is exactly why I have never been interested in the GV portion of the game.  Make the spawn random over a large enough area and I might give GVing a try again.

Until then, no thanks.

that and antitank bushes.
now posting as SirNuke

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 10:25:24 AM »
The one problem with a one or two mile radius circle is that you risk having your tank spawn in an untenable situation such as on top of some trees or on a cliff.

Even with that risk it would likely be an improvement though.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline matt

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 10:45:28 AM »
How about all spawn points lead to an airfield :bhead

Offline dirtdart

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 11:35:41 AM »
++100000000000!

This is a great idea.  HT, make this one happen please.  The spawn point arrows were great when GV icon range was far enough out you could see them.  But, now you have put some new systems into play, like the storch.  Make the game use them to their potential.  Delete the spawn points off the map and let the players figure out where the GVs are coming from.   I would the add to this, randomizing the spawn area a bit more to prevent the spawncampers from gaming the game and landing 50 kills, becasue they park behind a spawn.  This is not an Xbox game after all. 

Fantastic Idea!!   
If you are not GFC...you are wee!
Put on your boots boots boots...and parachutes..chutes...chutes.. .
Illigitimus non carborundum

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 12:20:25 PM »
if they do that, with the current maps, you may end up spawning in the sea :P
now posting as SirNuke

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2012, 12:27:51 PM »
The one problem with a one or two mile radius circle is that you risk having your tank spawn in an untenable situation such as on top of some trees or on a cliff.

Even with that risk it would likely be an improvement though.

The spawn radius is nothing but a System Variable.

Change it off line. "VehicleSpawnRadius" and see how big of a radius  you think works.

HiTech

Offline dirtdart

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2012, 01:38:27 PM »
I am going to give that one a whirl when I get back home.  I would think something around 2000 yds of a spread would work.  What is the default size? 
If you are not GFC...you are wee!
Put on your boots boots boots...and parachutes..chutes...chutes.. .
Illigitimus non carborundum

Offline ML52

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2012, 02:34:44 PM »
Seems to me this would give the storch a real role. +1

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2012, 03:23:36 PM »
I can see a problem if the circle is too large and people use it to spawn and bail in free tanks until they spawn behind the enemy positions.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2012, 03:30:18 PM »
I can see a problem if the circle is too large and people use it to spawn and bail in free tanks until they spawn behind the enemy positions.

I think that would be a plus, to have that hanging over their head. Spawn campers will know that if they are too close they will take the chance that an enemy COULD spawn in behind them. Smarter players will look for camping spots outside that circle and look to ambush the GVs as they move away from the spawn site and towards the enemy base/spawn. This will also get spawning GVs to use more flanking maneuvers to avoid that "strait line" approach to the enemy base/spawn.