Author Topic: Odd?  (Read 2408 times)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: Odd?
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2012, 10:30:22 AM »
So I got into a 1v1 with a certain person tonight and was shot down.

After about 10 minutes this person voice PMs me and starts to chew me out. What it all boiled down to was that he did not like the fact I didn't salute him.

Now he says that is the custom for the vanquished to salute first. I tell him I do not salute really at all. His response to this was "you lost my respect and all my friends respect."

My respect account was now zeroed out maybe even in the red.

I don't know who is right here. Should I salute or not?

He proved himself out of the league of those salutable so to say. If saluted it is nice to salute back if the fight was a good one. I laugh when your in a fight and some guy not in the fight zooms through and picks you then tries to salute you. lol
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline DrBone1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2012, 10:31:29 AM »
No, sadly I am a grown man playing video games  :frown:
:lol I should have specified "we are all children on the inside"  :angel:
=The Damned=
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6jjnCoBobc
I see DrBone has found a new Sith apprentice. Good, good, let the hate flow through you.  :devil
Move up, move over, or move aside.  Simple kombat 101.

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2012, 11:08:53 AM »
I have 200 and salutes turned off, make for very nice text buffer. Next thing to go will be system messages.

I don't think the constant  so-and-so shot you down messages are that bad myself
HamHawk
Wing III-- Pigs on The Wing
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2012, 11:19:15 AM »
If it was a good fight I usually salute the guy, win or lose....but this sounds like a bunch of effing high school girls getting their panties in a wad :old:
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline DaCoon

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2012, 11:25:17 AM »
:lol I should have specified "we are all children on the inside"  :angel:

too true    :cheers:
AKDaCoon of the Arabian Knights

MA & FSO 😎

Offline Daddkev

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2012, 12:01:10 PM »
 :mad: :mad: :mad: This is War.....only salute your own side!  :salute :mad: :salute
God Bless America
Go tell Momm, im flying! and make me a sandwich !
EvilKev

2012 68KO Cup 1st Place finisher

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2012, 12:05:52 PM »
I see neither faux <S> nor System landed messages.

I do not give faux <S> either. At most I may toss out a :o) or "fun" if it was worthy (which it most often isn't and the usual compliment about the others' lack of, well... a lot of things.  :noid
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline FLOTSOM

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2012, 02:26:00 PM »
I see neither faux <S> nor System landed messages.

I do not give faux <S> either. At most I may toss out a :o) or "fun" if it was worthy (which it most often isn't and the usual compliment about the others' lack of, well... a lot of things.  :noid

shane....when exactly did you develop such a severe case of cranial-rectomitis?

a few years ago when i was seeing you in the ma fairly regularly you were a good guy who was willing to acknowledge even a noobie just showing effort....when did you become such a jaded arse?

if i see it i return the salute, its called manners. if i had fun i salute first, if its a well known player and i got a lucky kill i salute first and admit the luck, if they twisted and turned and stole the advantage from me and then got me i salute them.......in other words i will usually salute anyone because sportsmanship and having a good time are part of the intent of the game and sharing the common courtesy of a salute goes a long way to seeing that all share in it.
FLOTSOM

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!
Quote from Skuzzy
"The game is designed to encourage combat, not hide from it."
http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2012, 07:02:25 PM »
I salute if at least one of the qualifications on my "salute" list is met, and provided the number of checks on a second "don't salute" list is lower than those on the first:

salute
1) it was an actual fight
2) I had fun
3) they gave me a run for my money
4) they fought as if the fight was most important, not the kill
5) they hadn't made a B-line for my 110 or P-40 (not just out for an easy kill)
6) they were skilled, and beat me because they were a better pilot

don't salute
1)they cherry picked
2) vulched
3) HO'd
4) were part of a horde
5) tried to hide in ack
6) rolled over and lawn-darted after the first tracers flew by

And a few exceptions:
1) I always return salute to someone I shot down, regardless of circumstances
2) I return salute even to horders and gangers if the fight lasted more than about 15-20 seconds, because personally, I think a salute is a sign of respect. If I flew well enough to earn a <S>, especially fighting 10-1, I give them the BOTD and assume they aren't trolling, or using it sarcasticly.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2012, 07:08:42 PM »
I salute if at least one of the qualifications on my "salute" list is met ... <SNIP>

I find myself agreeing with alot of this  :rock
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2012, 07:13:46 PM »
I generally try to return all salutes, it's a game after all and if the person is making a nice gesture I don't think it hurts to return it.  It's also not the end of the world if I send a salute and don't get one back.  Maybe that person is involved in another fight and doesn't see it, maybe they're afk or went to get a drink or a snack.  There's lots of reasons why someone wouldn't return a salute and only a few of them are negative.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2012, 08:16:27 PM »
So I got into a 1v1 with a certain person tonight and was shot down.

After about 10 minutes this person voice PMs me and starts to chew me out. What it all boiled down to was that he did not like the fact I didn't salute him.

Now he says that is the custom for the vanquished to salute first. I tell him I do not salute really at all. His response to this was "you lost my respect and all my friends respect."

My respect account was now zeroed out maybe even in the red.

I don't know who is right here. Should I salute or not?

In all honesty, I've never been a big fan of <S>.  Mostly cause it seems silly considering no one is really dying and we get new planes.  For the longest time I went with 'nice flying', 'nice fight' or something like that.  To me the <S> implied this was far more important then it really is.

I <S> on occasion now, but it still feels strange to me.  I understand it's become a courtesy thing, but I sure wouldn't take it personal if someone doesn't <S> nor would I support there being an expectation that anyone needs to <S>

How many times have any of us been in the middle of a great fight, only to be picked by a guy who then salutes us like he accomplished something. 

As for what is the custom, that's the first I've ever heard  of it. 

I wouldn't lose a second of sleep over it, or give it another thought.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2012, 08:46:32 PM »
I only salute when the opponent gives a great fight............and only when I lose.

I may return a salute from a vanquished opponent on 200 but never return brags disguised as salutes.

90% of my salutes are on PM.

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2012, 08:55:25 PM »
In all honesty, I've never been a big fan of <S>.  Mostly cause it seems silly considering no one is really dying and we get new planes.  For the longest time I went with 'nice flying', 'nice fight' or something like that.  To me the <S> implied this was far more important then it really is.

I <S> on occasion now, but it still feels strange to me.  I understand it's become a courtesy thing, but I sure wouldn't take it personal if someone doesn't <S> nor would I support there being an expectation that anyone needs to <S>

How many times have any of us been in the middle of a great fight, only to be picked by a guy who then salutes us like he accomplished something. 

As for what is the custom, that's the first I've ever heard  of it. 

I wouldn't lose a second of sleep over it, or give it another thought.

See? Personally, I feel it comes down to one thing: did they earn recognition? And that can range from giving a good fight, to not pulling the trigger on the HO, to simply going out of their way to extend you curtousy (eg, saluting you first, regardless of how long the fight was, or how good it was).
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline The Jekyll

• Nickel Member
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2012, 09:41:08 PM »
Anyone man enough to salute I salute em back, don't care if they vulch ho picked me in a 5 v 1. That said, if someone doesn't salute me back I figure they are either busy in a fight, or don't tune 200 (amazing not everyone tunes the drama channel no?) . Anyone getting upset is a tad childish in my book...now lets get back in there and fight!
Yea, simply because I can