Author Topic: Stricken P-51 lands with help from a legend: Bob Hoover  (Read 871 times)

Offline flight17

• Silver Member
Re: Stricken P-51 lands with help from a legend: Bob Hoover
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2012, 04:18:00 PM »
You can log whatever you want. It's your logbook and it's only ink on paper.

There's a difference in being the PIC and logging PIC. There's a reason companies will specify what your actual Command/Captain/P1/Real PIC time vs time logged as a sole manipulator of the controls.  Doing so without a type rating, which is a prerequisite for a turbojet powered airplane or aircraft in excess of 12,500lbs is a show stopper. If you want PIC time in an aircraft requiring a type rating, you need a type rating. If you're being told differently, you're being misled. I'm very much willing to be proven wrong on that if you'd care to offer rebuttal.
ya i deleted it before you posted after i asked the AOPA hotline...

I was told, at least i thought i was, that i could Log PIC time due to the fact that the type rated pilot was an instructor (dual received) and because the person flying right seat does not need to have the type rating to fly right seat, just the multi. So i will be logging SIC then.
119th Riffle Tank Regiment leader -Red Storm Krupp Steel Scenario

Active Member of Air Heritage Inc. http://airheritage.org/

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2012, 06:55:58 PM »
I was told, at least i thought i was, that i could Log PIC time due to the fact that the type rated pilot was an instructor (dual received) and because the person flying right seat does not need to have the type rating to fly right seat, just the multi. So i will be logging SIC then.

Unless you're legal to act as PIC you can't log PIC.  There are some cases where both pilots can log PIC time -- a rated pilot working on an instrument rating can log PIC for the time you are sole manipulator of the controls -- the CFII logs the entire flight as PIC.

Say you and a buddy go for a cross country and swap legs (both being rated in the airplane).  You can log PIC for the leg you fly, the non flying pilot doesn't log anything (SIC not required for the A/C).
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2012, 06:58:12 PM »
I'm willing to bet that the maneuvers Hoover suggested were more aggressive than that pilot would be accustomed to performing. Hitting that jammed lever arm of a landing gear with a bigger hammer so to speak.

Yep.  It was part of his airshow act with the Shrike.  He'd make a slow pass stomping rudder back and forth yawing the airplane almost sideways.

You know Hoover was shotdown during the war.  FW190 made a great deflection shot disabling his Spitfire.
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline potsNpans

• Nickel Member
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2012, 07:24:13 PM »
Good story, thanks for the post.

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2012, 08:45:57 PM »
Yep.  It was part of his airshow act with the Shrike.  He'd make a slow pass stomping rudder back and forth yawing the airplane almost sideways.

You know Hoover was shotdown during the war.  FW190 made a great deflection shot disabling his Spitfire.

Read the book, met the man. Better in real life :)

Forever Flying, Hoovers autobiography is a very good read. So is Robin Olds biography for anyone who hasn't read them. No, you can't have my copies.

Offline Grayeagle

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2012, 03:24:08 PM »
I met Bob Hoover at the pit gate in Reno back in late '80's, when he was flyin Old Yeller as race marshall.
He signed my shirt for the askin (had done an ink drawing on it of a P-51D)

Still hangin in my closet.

Didn't come across as elitist at all.

One of the things I have noticed tho ..
... people who actually do know what they are doin more often than not are labeled 'elitist' by those who do not.
(also been told I have a big ego for the same reasons .. -shrug- ..not my problem :)

Just sayin (tm Pasha)

-GE aka Frank
'The better I shoot ..the less I have to manuever'
-GE