Author Topic: P-63 Performance  (Read 5025 times)

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
Re: P-63 Performance
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2012, 12:57:51 PM »
I don't think the Pe-2 would get much use.  It is relatively fast, but it has a light bomb load, no bombsight (as far as I know) and very light guns.  The Tu-2 would probably see a lot of use though.

+ 1 for the Tu2
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2012, 01:16:11 PM »
I suppose that playing Aces High for more than a decade leads me to draw conclusions based upon previous additions I've witnessed. The P-40B we had, was a hanger queen. Poor performance, and relatively lower firepower were the causes. The MiG-3 was a seriously under-gunned, evil handling, high altitude fighter that the Soviets dropped early in the war. The Yak-7 is a dog relative to the late war arena. It may do well enough in the mid-war arena, but it's no improvement over the Yak-9T. Both would get a fair amount of use for a week or two, and then become a rare sight in the late-war arena. The C.202 is a better performer that either the MiG or the Yak at the altitudes we fly at, and it's basically a hanger queen.

If the purpose is only to cater for the late war arena, then the above is largely true. It it also true that late war arena is the bread and butter of AH but adding aircraft that would only be competitive in there would make a very short list when talking about single engined fighters. And from my point of view that list would be rather boring. The earlier Soviet aircraft have enormous amounts of scenario/special events potential.
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2012, 09:42:10 PM »
Widewing - what is Max CL for the P-63 laminar flow wing?

According to Dean, same as the FM-2 at 2.38
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline WING47

• Copper Member
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2012, 10:35:58 PM »
 :aok Where ever King Kobras fly, Lgay 7s die! :rock

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2012, 10:50:15 PM »
Widewing.......I've been flying most every plane mentioned in another sim for a decade.

They aren't hanger queens there.

It seems your only qualifier for a plane is that it must dominate the late war arena.

There are many other arenas in aces high and I would not have trouble beating most with these so called hanger queens.

One of my qualifiers is that I feel that the game would best served if HTC were to expend their limited resources on something that gets used with some frequency. It doesn't have to late war, just viable. P-38H, P-51A, F4F-3, Pe-2, and G55 would all get a lot of use, and none date later than early 1943. In the late war arena, how many G4Ms do we see? How frequently do you run into a Spit Mk.I? Inasmuch as the vast majority fly in this arena, it makes good business sense to focus on aircraft that are at least viable in that environment. Thus we see the Me 410 and Yak-3 garnering the most votes.

This isn't another sim.... This is Aces High. In a dumbed down flight model (as found in some other sims), there's little difference between aircraft beyond speed and climb. Here, HiTech and Pyro strive to have flight physics that are accurate to the actual aircraft. The MiG-3 was simply a lousy aircraft. The Yak-7 was adequate at best, and that's what we'll get. Good for scenarios? Sure, if you convince someone to fly them against 109s.

As to that last line... "I would not have trouble beating most with these so called hanger queens."

Define "most". Most aircraft? Most pilots? Combination? Seriously, there are many early and mid war fighters that are equal or even markedly superior to either the MiG or Yak.

I'll take a similar vintage 109F-4 or 109G-2, and you can have your MiG or Yak. I promise you, you'll be in and out of the tower so often HTC will need create a revolving door graphic for you.....
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2012, 05:30:08 AM »
If it is not LW competitive plane, it better be very useful in scenarios. P-63 will be great in the LW, but useless in scenarios, events etc. Mig3/7 will be poor in the LW and in very low demand for scenarios. The Russian front is not very attractive to most players (I dare say "least" attractive) and coupled with lousy planes will make empty events.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2012, 07:39:42 AM »
Ju-88G
Ju-87G
He-111 (both EW and LW variants)
Ju-188
Judy J4D
Ki-43
Ki-100
H8K
Beaufighter
Wellington
A-26
Sea Hurricane
G55
He-162

To add to Widewings list of planes that'll see both LW use and scenarios. Wellington and Sea Hurricane maybe not so much but the Wellington might serve as a nice perk farmer in the MA. Ju-88G will probably see as much action as a Mossie or 110G (limited but still in decent numbers). A-26, G55, and He-162 will have to be perked, (10, 15, 50 respectively). The H8K will have to be only available from land until the water gets reworked and flying boats can land on water, definitely going to be a major MA plane with the amount of ords and defensive armament it carries.

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2012, 08:53:25 AM »
Because We have enoug American planes for now.

What, you have an "enough" chart or something?

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2012, 10:01:17 AM »
This isn't another sim.... This is Aces High. In a dumbed down flight model (as found in some other sims), there's little difference between aircraft beyond speed and climb.

Lets dumb it down further by including planes that never flew in combat.

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2012, 10:15:32 AM »

In fairness to Widewing, voting over the past few years has convinced many of us that the majority of AH players are not interested in new planes which would not be competitive with the 1945 plane set.

- oldman

This is one thing I am happy about. I really don't want a 1945 exclusive war for aces high, few like myself enjoy the raw challenge of taking up a 41-42 era aircraft and taming the late war monsters. Typically most run away, however you generally catch a vet and the fights can be quite good.

Not many of us left that enjoy that challenge, base hording and such is taking over. I myself enjoy the C.205 and C.202 just because of the challenge it takes to fly it, let alone actually gun (so few sorties, my aim is terrible)
JG 52

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2012, 10:16:35 AM »
Ju-88G
Ju-87G
Ju-188
Judy J4D
Ki-43
Ki-100
H8K
Beaufighter
Wellington
A-26
Sea Hurricane
G55
He-162

To add to Widewings list of planes that'll see both LW use and scenarios. Wellington and Sea Hurricane maybe not so much but the Wellington might serve as a nice perk farmer in the MA. Ju-88G will probably see as much action as a Mossie or 110G (limited but still in decent numbers). A-26, G55, and He-162 will have to be perked, (10, 15, 50 respectively). The H8K will have to be only available from land until the water gets reworked and flying boats can land on water, definitely going to be a major MA plane with the amount of ords and defensive armament it carries.

The only perk worthy A/C would be the 162 and only because of it's speed,the A26 and G55 would need no perk cost as neither A/C would warrant a perk cost.

A26's performance falls off rapidly above 15k and it's top speed of 350ish isn't going to help it.As for the G55,it would need a perk as much as the G14 does!

:salute

PS: Ice,I wouldn't challenge widewing on A/c knowledge or piloting skill as most would end up on the short end of the stick!

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2012, 10:54:24 AM »
What, you have an "enough" chart or something?

I rather see a balance of planes on all countries than a lopsided plane set.

semp

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: April 03, 2012, 11:05:18 AM »
Lets dumb it down further by including planes that never flew in combat.

I'm curious to what you mean by this statement,AH doesn't dumb down anything,they strive to develope the most high fidelity FM in the gaming world. Now if you were refering to adding the P63,you cant difintively say it never saw combat,first you'd have to define what combat is.

There are reports of the P63 operating in the US and shooting doen a ballon bomb,also there is the incedent in Manchuria where a Russian P63 supposedly shot down a Japaneese A/C.

Undoubtedly the Russian operated them in the east and just because they didn't have much opposition doesn't mean it wasn't in combat or a combat zone.

Personally I'd like to see the P63 added at some point,however there are many other A/C I'd rather see first.  Ki 43 comes to mind as does the Pe2/Tu2.

YMMV.

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: April 03, 2012, 11:13:51 AM »
The only perk worthy A/C would be the 162 and only because of it's speed,the A26 and G55 would need no perk cost as neither A/C would warrant a perk cost.

A26's performance falls off rapidly above 15k and it's top speed of 350ish isn't going to help it.As for the G55,it would need a perk as much as the G14 does!

PS: Ice,I wouldn't challenge widewing on A/c knowledge or piloting skill as most would end up on the short end of the stick!

But if the A26 wasn't perked, why take the A20 at all? Is there a weakness that I don't know about? (that might sound ignorant if you read it the wrong way, just letting you know it's not :))

semp

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #59 on: April 03, 2012, 12:04:53 PM »
Ju-88G
Ju-87G
Ju-188
Judy J4D
Ki-43
Ki-100
H8K
Beaufighter
Wellington
A-26
Sea Hurricane
G55
He-162
Not sure how much use the Wellington, Beaufighter, He111, Ki-43 or Sea Hurricane would see.  Others would likely see decent usage.

Add to them:

Do217E
B7A2 Ryusei 'Grace'
Firefly Mk I
He177A-5
Il-10
J2M3 or J2M5 Raiden 'Jack'
Ki-44-II Shoki 'Tojo'
Ki-102 'Randy'
Meteor Mk III
P-61B Blackwidow
P.108
P1Y1 Ginga 'Frances'
Re2005
Tu-2
SB2C Helldiver
Yak-3

The A-26, He162, Meteor Mk III and P-61B would all be perk aircraft.  The A-26 and P-61B would need to be perked due to how capable they are in the air to mud aspect, though I doubt the perks would be much, 5-10 maybe.  The He162 and Meteor Mk III would see far higher perk prices for obvious reasons.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-