Author Topic: Opinions on 12 hour switch times  (Read 6565 times)

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: Opinions on 12 hour switch times
« Reply #60 on: March 20, 2012, 12:24:11 PM »
And years ago, HTC implemented the 12 hour switch to dampen fluctuations in numbers between sides.  In that sense, we're both right.  :)

When I log in I see close to 500 in the arena, and the numbers are always lop sided?? Could it be that players enjoy a single arena because at one time or another it gives them a chance to have all the advantages over another country? And therefore presents them with little chance of meeting the spectre of their own failure, and having to find a reason for their failure, ie some evil outside unseen force that conspired to make someone so awesome fail spiez sideswitcher hackers!!

It will be interesting to see of the arena is split again, now that the numbers have picked up again, I really do doubt this as I think it would be bad for business as the majority do actually enjoy having a good hoarding.

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #61 on: March 20, 2012, 01:09:14 PM »
When I log in I see close to 500 in the arena, and the numbers are always lop sided??

A shock absorber doesn't absorb 100% of the shock, but it smooths out fluctuations by reducing the amplitude and wavelength of the shocks.  You're still going to see side imbalances in the MA, but they won't be as extreme as they would otherwise be, they won't last as long as they would have otherwise, and you shouldn't normally see major swings from one side to another in short periods of time.

In other words, it's not about spies.

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #62 on: March 20, 2012, 01:43:58 PM »
It will be interesting to see of the arena is split again, now that the numbers have picked up again, I really do doubt this as I think it would be bad for business as the majority do actually enjoy having a good hoarding.

Odd, but when there were split arena in LW, I always remembered the hording and lopsided numbers being way, way worse than it currently is now with a single LWM arena. LWO was almost always a "Bish and Rooks roll the outnumbered Knights" arena, and LWB was a "Knights outnumber everyone 2:1 and roll bases at will" arena.

:noid
Floyd
'Murican dude in a Brit Squad flying Russian birds, drinking Canadian whiskey

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #63 on: March 20, 2012, 02:03:33 PM »
Odd, but when there were split arena in LW, I always remembered the hording and lopsided numbers being way, way worse than it currently is now with a single LWM arena. LWO was almost always a "Bish and Rooks roll the outnumbered Knights" arena, and LWB was a "Knights outnumber everyone 2:1 and roll bases at will" arena.

:noid

Suppose that depends on if you were in the full(er) arena or the other one. I don't remember it being as bad, certainly not in terms of sheer numbers you faced in a hoarde, its getting a bit out of hand of late.

Offline Stang

• Platinum Member
« Reply #64 on: March 20, 2012, 02:18:58 PM »
#3. 

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #65 on: March 20, 2012, 02:19:55 PM »
A shock absorber doesn't absorb 100% of the shock, but it smooths out fluctuations by reducing the amplitude and wavelength of the shocks.  You're still going to see side imbalances in the MA, but they won't be as extreme as they would otherwise be, they won't last as long as they would have otherwise, and you shouldn't normally see major swings from one side to another in short periods of time.

In other words, it's not about spies.

I am only going by what Hitech expressed as his reasons for the capped arenas in the first place, and wondering if it hits a certain number that they will get split again.

Muzik: I'll give you the quick version, for any more go do some reading on social dynamics.

When groups are small they can manage them self, a group of 10 people can play together and moderate themselves. If one person is going out side the bounds/rules of the group. The 10 people can deal with the person and either have him change his behavior or remove him from the group.

Has groups get larger and larger people start becoming  anonymous and start viewing the group as only a group and not individual people. As this effect gets larger the social structure of the group brakes down and people become more disruptive with out many social consequences. This is a very common social outcome. When more people joing a group it requires a much greater management and governance. How well does it work to have towns of 5000 people with out laws, police, firemen garbage men and other very formal rules of order and management roles.

This show up in game play in many ways  and creates less enjoyment for the entire group.

As far as the business side it really is VERY simple, we had hit an artificial ceiling and the player count had reached it's maximum in one arena. It had reached a point where more people would degrade the play, and as people came more people left and more people choose not to become subscribers, the number of total players of AH had STOPPED growing.

As soon as we split the arenas, even with all the complaints and whines when we did, we started growing again the same week we split the arena.

HiTech

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #66 on: March 20, 2012, 02:37:02 PM »
I am only going by what Hitech expressed as his reasons for the capped arenas in the first place, and wondering if it hits a certain number that they will get split again.

I'm not sure what that explanation has to do with the 12 hour rule.

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #67 on: March 20, 2012, 02:46:30 PM »
I'm not sure what that explanation has to do with the 12 hour rule.

Well if numbers are hitting the ceiling, by that explantion the arenas should be split again and the 12 hour rule done away with.

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #68 on: March 20, 2012, 02:51:24 PM »
Well if numbers are hitting the ceiling, by that explantion the arenas should be split again and the 12 hour rule done away with.

If the arenas split, then HTC will need to look at changing the side switch time.  HiTech's statement, however, discussed the rationale for splitting an arena, not the rationale for a 12 hour time limit on switching sides.  That's an entirely different discussion.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #69 on: March 20, 2012, 02:56:09 PM »
If the arenas split, then HTC will need to look at changing the side switch time.  HiTech's statement, however, discussed the rationale for splitting an arena, not the rationale for a 12 hour time limit on switching sides.  That's an entirely different discussion.

I run things around here and I say they are one and the same. Now go sit in the corner... don't forget your pointed hat.

:neener:
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 03:07:21 PM by hitech »
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline coombz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #70 on: March 20, 2012, 02:59:58 PM »
I'd be really annoyed if it was changed back to split arenas in prime time :/

Don't think there is any way to fix the horde mentality perv, which is what you really desire. Reducing the side switch time somewhat would be a step in the right direction though.

But really it's just a vocal minority on this forum that dislike the 12 hour rule, the vast majority of players are chess piece-loyal horders focused on winning the war and as such very happy with anything that discourages side switching

Did you see my dad on dogfights yet?
I'll be seeing you face to face possibly next month.

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #71 on: March 20, 2012, 03:00:55 PM »
If the arenas split, then HTC will need to look at changing the side switch time.  HiTech's statement, however, discussed the rationale for splitting an arena, not the rationale for a 12 hour time limit on switching sides.  That's an entirely different discussion.

Not really...he said the reason he brought the 12 hour rule back was because thats the way it used to be, on past form, why should he give any more thought to simply going back to the spilt arenas and the 1 hour rule.

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #72 on: March 20, 2012, 03:03:12 PM »
I'd be really annoyed if it was changed back to split arenas in prime time :/

Don't think there is any way to fix the horde mentality perv, which is what you really desire. Reducing the side switch time somewhat would be a step in the right direction though.

But really it's just a vocal minority on this forum that dislike the 12 hour rule, the vast majority of players are chess piece-loyal horders focused on winning the war and as such very happy with anything that discourages side switching

I know you would, so would the vast majority of aces high players I'd say, I don't want to fix the hoarde mentality I want to able to given the option to look for a fight.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #73 on: March 20, 2012, 06:04:09 PM »
100-300 perk points to switch sides every 30-60 minutes aside from your 12 hour personal timer. 300 to the highest number side, 200 to the mid number side and 100 to the lowest number side. If all that is important, is getting to the best fights during a game session.

I bet the dedicated fight guys have thousands of points they never spend becasue they have invested so much time becoming dedicated fight guys. This might make earning those thousands of points worth some of the trouble. If you consider how many 262 or B29 boxes you see due to the high perk cost, 100-300 perks will be self regulating.

At the least once implemented the whine will change finaly. It's a sad day when the best in the game are whining here in the forum like all those they have whizzed on for whining in these forums over the years. But, by apperences, only anecdotally it does look like long and loud sustained whining in this forum gets things changed in the game....anecdotally.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline matt

• Silver Member
« Reply #74 on: March 20, 2012, 07:05:58 PM »
1 TRUE

2TRUE

3FALSE