Author Topic: What makes a good Bomber pilot?  (Read 3582 times)

Offline swareiam

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
What makes a good Bomber pilot?
« on: March 21, 2012, 08:05:26 PM »

All,

To be very honest I am here to advertise the April 2012 Sunday European Campaign event, “The Last Bomb”.

But I do have a question that I have not really explored in my six years within the AH community.

What makes a really good bomber pilot?

I have seen a few guys that can put one in a pickle barrel from several thousand feet up. But, I wouldn’t know how to pick a guy or gal that can create havoc with a bomber for my team; team meaning scenario, SEC or other events where I would need a good bomber pilot.

So, I throw the question out there to the AH community at large for this one.

Please feel free to add your comments and opinions on this subject.

As I mentioned in my selfishness, I am advertising the April 2012 Sunday European Campaign.

“The Last Bomb”

This historic event will cover the period of the fall of 1944 through the end of hostilities during the Pacific war in 1945.
It is the strategic bombing of the island nation of Japan by General Curtis Lemay and 21th United States Army Air Force.
The star of the stage was the B-29 Superfortress, the largest, fastest, most advanced bomber of World War II.

I am hoping that you bomber pilots will sign on for this one.  “AT ABSOLUTELY NO PERK COST”, bomber pilots will be able to fly one “Hell” of a great bomber.

Not to worry, if you don’t fly bombers, like myself; or you can’t stand the invading American “Horde”.
There will be plenty of fighter seats available for those that feel the need to chase down the enemy at high speeds with a “pipper” in front of them.

But in general the SEC staff CMs and SEC patrons hope that you will join us for this grand event.

BTW, we are looking for a Bomber General and a Japanese Defense Force patriot to CO each side.
If you feel that you are the General for the job, you can make your intentions know right here in this thread or in the Sunday European Campaign forum:

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/board,440.0.html

As always, “Get Immersed”, “Live the history” and be a part of the April 2012 Sunday European Campaign event, “The Last Bomb”.

Battle Elements and Event Schedule

• April 8th – The Beginning of the End
• April 15th – Fight to the Last
• April 22nd – The Last Bomb

“The Last Bomb”, write up;
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,330518.msg4332547.html#msg4332547

April SEC Event designer and host CM;

Redtail7
AKWarHwk of the Arabian Knights
Aces High Scenario, FSO, and Combat Challenge Teams
Don't let your ego get too close to your position, so that if your position gets shot down, your ego doesn't go with it. General Colin Powell

Offline 4440

• Gold Member
      • http://www.ahxarl.com
Re: What makes a good Bomber pilot?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 08:17:08 PM »
A good bomber pilot is....

Patience
Understanding of the mission
Support of his squaddies
and the the will to go home

Offline HB555

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 09:12:39 PM »

Patience
Support of his squaddies

Pretty good short version, 4440, but let me expand that a bit...

Lots of patience, and passion, because, truth be known, it is pretty boring flying for an hour or more, dropping your bombs, and turning around and going home. If you run into an enemy fully prepared to defeat you, you fight them until you die and then willingly jump in someone else's plane as a gunner to try to help them survive, and just ride the rest of the mission. The mission, and it's success, is why you are here. Not for the score, the points, the glory or anything else. There is no glory in being a bomber pilot. It is work, plain and simple, and lots of it. IF you want glory, do not ever fly a bomber. If you want satisfaction from a job well done, thumb your nose at the fighter rides and be among the first to WANT to fly a bomber. Do we have favorites? Sure, but at the end of the mission, any bomber is still a bomber.

A full understanding of the mission, with all of the nuances accounted for, is indispensable.
Have you got the route down? IS time a factor? Do you have a back up plan for various inconsistencies in the original plan? Have you considered the wind factor? Are there enough of you to complete the mission, or are you just hoping for the best? Are you willing to fly the mission multiple times off line, or in practice, to make sure you have everything right in your head? Are you willing to help those you are flying with who may not know bombers? Encouragement is as important as knowledge.

Support of squaddies. Yes! I have touched on this already several times, but you have to have it in your mind that even if you are not going to make it home, if there is something you can do to help a squadmate make it, you must give your all to see that happen.

Sometimes the will to make it home and land is all you have. You may be the last guy up from your group. You may be almost out of fuel, shot up, thinking "This is nuts. I am not going to make it. If I auger now, I can (insert something you may want to do here). NO NO NO. That is wrong. you fight for every inch of altitude you can keep, you fight for every mile you can make with those last few gallons of fuel, you do your absolute best to get that plane back to the designated landing field. You NEVER give up, and you never whine!

And THAT, in my opinion, is what makes a good bomber pilot.
I am not comfortable being in command, but I am pretty good at flight lead, and will be there, unless "Honey" has  other ideas. This time of year, I seem to have lots of weekend honey do's.
Snoopy Bell

HB555 A gentleman, with a school boys heart, and crazy enough to think he is a cartoon dog.

Offline swareiam

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 10:33:53 PM »

Lots of patience, and passion, because, truth be known, it is pretty boring flying for an hour or more, dropping your bombs, and turning around and going home. If you run into an enemy fully prepared to defeat you, you fight them until you die and then willingly jump in someone else's plane as a gunner to try to help them survive, and just ride the rest of the mission. The mission, and it's success, is why you are here. Not for the score, the points, the glory or anything else. There is no glory in being a bomber pilot. It is work, plain and simple, and lots of it. IF you want glory, do not ever fly a bomber. If you want satisfaction from a job well done, thumb your nose at the fighter rides and be among the first to WANT to fly a bomber. Do we have favorites? Sure, but at the end of the mission, any bomber is still a bomber.

A full understanding of the mission, with all of the nuances accounted for, is indispensable.
Have you got the route down? IS time a factor? Do you have a back up plan for various inconsistencies in the original plan? Have you considered the wind factor? Are there enough of you to complete the mission, or are you just hoping for the best? Are you willing to fly the mission multiple times off line, or in practice, to make sure you have everything right in your head? Are you willing to help those you are flying with who may not know bombers? Encouragement is as important as knowledge.

Support of squaddies. Yes! I have touched on this already several times, but you have to have it in your mind that even if you are not going to make it home, if there is something you can do to help a squadmate make it, you must give your all to see that happen.

Sometimes the will to make it home and land is all you have. You may be the last guy up from your group. You may be almost out of fuel, shot up, thinking "This is nuts. I am not going to make it. If I auger now, I can (insert something you may want to do here). NO NO NO. That is wrong. you fight for every inch of altitude you can keep, you fight for every mile you can make with those last few gallons of fuel, you do your absolute best to get that plane back to the designated landing field. You NEVER give up, and you never whine!

I am not comfortable being in command, but I am pretty good at flight lead, and will be there, unless "Honey" has  other ideas. This time of year, I seem to have lots of weekend honey do's.

HB,

AWESOME commentary! Your thoughs have given me a new appreciation for the role of the bomber pilot.

Thanks...

:salute

Does anyone else see it this way or is this a gross misjudgment of the roll of the bomber pilot?

I'd like to hear from the bomber pilots and fighter jox alike. Throw in your 2 cents...

:salute
AKWarHwk of the Arabian Knights
Aces High Scenario, FSO, and Combat Challenge Teams
Don't let your ego get too close to your position, so that if your position gets shot down, your ego doesn't go with it. General Colin Powell

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 10:37:41 PM »

Outstanding! <S> :)
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 04:00:56 AM »
Eh, I dunno...I've bomber GL'd a few times, yet I tend to lead by the seat of my pants and I don't mind when I pop up on the top of the objects destroyed list... :D
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline HB555

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 08:16:16 AM »
Eh, I dunno...I've bomber GL'd a few times, yet I tend to lead by the seat of my pants and I don't mind when I pop up on the top of the objects destroyed list... :D

Difference in perspective between an old guy and a young guy?
Nice to see you are still around OOZ.
Snoopy Bell

HB555 A gentleman, with a school boys heart, and crazy enough to think he is a cartoon dog.

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 08:35:17 AM »

Patience
Support of his squaddies

and a good supply of beer  :aok
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline 4440

• Gold Member
      • http://www.ahxarl.com
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 09:53:51 AM »
and a good supply of beer  :aok

I didn't want to give any "wrong" impressions" :angel:

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 10:12:49 AM »
I didn't want to give any "wrong" impressions" :angel:

:devil
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 02:33:01 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

All,

To be very honest I am here to advertise the April 2012 Sunday European Campaign event, “The Last Bomb”.

But I do have a question that I have not really explored in my six years within the AH community.

I have seen a few guys that can put one in a pickle barrel from several thousand feet up. But, I wouldn't know how to pick a guy or gal that can create havoc with a bomber for my team; team meaning scenario, SEC or other events where I would need a good bomber pilot.

So, I throw the question out there to the AH community at large for this one.

Please feel free to add your comments and opinions on this subject.

As I mentioned in my selfishness, I am advertising the April 2012 Sunday European Campaign.

“The Last Bomb

This historic event will cover the period of the fall of 1944 through the end of hostilities during the Pacific war in 1945.
It is the strategic bombing of the island nation of Japan by General Curtis Lemay and 21th United States Army Air Force.
The star of the stage was the B-29 Superfortress, the largest, fastest, most advanced bomber of World War II.

I am hoping that you bomber pilots will sign on for this one.  “AT ABSOLUTELY NO PERK COST”, bomber pilots will be able to fly one “Hell” of a great bomber.

Not to worry, if you don't fly bombers, like myself; or you can't stand the invading American “Horde”.
There will be plenty of fighter seats available for those that feel the need to chase down the enemy at high speeds with a “pipper” in front of them.

But in general the SEC staff CMs and SEC patrons hope that you will join us for this grand event.

BTW, we are looking for a Bomber General and a Japanese Defense Force patriot to CO each side.
If you feel that you are the General for the job, you can make your intentions know right here in this thread or in the Sunday European Campaign forum:

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/board,440.0.html

As always, “Get Immersed”, “Live the history” and be a part of the April 2012 Sunday European Campaign event, “The Last Bomb”.

Battle Elements and Event Schedule

• April 8th – The Beginning of the End
• April 15th – Fight to the Last
• April 22nd – The Last Bomb

“The Last Bomb”, write up;
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,330518.msg4332547.html#msg4332547

April SEC Event designer and host CM;

Redtail7

I look at your question in a little different context! Actually, you are asking what makes a good aircraft commander in bombers. The number 1 characteristic that a aircraft commander must have, is the respect of his crew.
He must demonstrate essential characteristics which in my view are: #! Integrity, being honest with the crew! #2 He must be self motivated, #3 he must be self disciplined, #4 He should demonstrate perseverance, #5 he must demonstrate adaptability to changing situations, #6 He must show maturity, #7 he must show excellent judgement, #8 he must be a selflessness person, #9 he must show constant leadership to subordinates and last but not least, #10 demonstrate SKILL as a pilot and training of his crew to the 9Th degree. He must take the time and trouble to attend regular training sessions in the training arena to perfect his skill as a bomb "aimer". He must know and understand the different characteristics of various bombers in Aces High and how best to use the equipment which is available to him.
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline steely07

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 07:34:25 PM »
Well said HB, couldn't agree more Sir

Salute

Steely
Aces High, Wing Commander, Dickweed Heavy Bomber Group: www.dickweedhbg.com

FSO Films : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFs6CAXBQoVBctljybD65fA?view_as=subscriber

Offline Flossy

• Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2012, 04:32:09 AM »

Excellent write-up, HB - fully agree with it all.    :salute
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2012, 02:45:08 AM »
Quality escort pilots make bomber pilots look good   :aok
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2012, 03:08:08 AM »
Makes me miss those old 91st flights!
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.