Author Topic: Spitdweeb: Or, what's wrong with flying the Spit?  (Read 7847 times)

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
Spitdweeb: Or, what's wrong with flying the Spit?
« on: March 22, 2012, 06:30:48 AM »
The origin of this thread comes from another thread title "Hymi" which almost immediately gets into bashing the Spit 16.

Why is there such animosity towards the Spitfire? I just don't get it. I see why few want to fly the Spit14. Fast, turns pretty good though has a big target on its back. Sticks get about as excited to kill a Spit14 as they do a 110, -38, Mossi or TBM.

I rarely fly the Spit though when I do its the Spit16. Great speed, solid zoom and will outturn most of the planes in the game. If I really want to get jiggy I will up a pink Spit9. Doesn't have the power of the 16 but good enough and turns better. In all cases it loses out in range, with the exception of the Spit8. When I see a Spit8 I know I have to change up the game a bit. If I get in trouble with all other Spits I can dive out and reset, not so with the Spit8, which with those wingtanks can dive with most birds for a bit.

Historically the Spitfire was one of the best overall right up to the point the airwar shifted into a range game. Once long range was required the Spitfire became a backwater bird.

The only harm I see for new pilots flying the Spit is that it turns well enough they are slow in learning the real ACM game. They don't undertstand setup, positioning or maintaining E state. Some of our very best pilots ingame are Spit dweebs.

In any case, I don't get it. Much respect for the Spit and <S> those who choose to fly them.

Flame-on!!

Boo
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
Re: Spitdweeb: Or, what's wrong with flying the Spit?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 06:42:21 AM »
regular spits are ok, you can work them in the high speed range and eventually reverse them or get away from them.

the spit16 got shorter wings and then magically becomes like a 190 that can turn on the dime, dives forever at mach1, rolls like crazy, and doesn't suffer from high speed manoeuvres.

It has no weak point except its speed that is just good, and range which is about decent. I should be perked, even the spit14 is not that good.
now posting as SirNuke

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 06:45:13 AM »
It is a greaat bird, I think most people would agree with me when I say that it is more annoying when a good stick hops in one because unless your in almost the same caliber of ride (LA7, Hog, KI84, 109) the fight is going to be quick and result in not more of the stick jerking, sweaty palm adrenaline rushing fights most would have in a fight between a 109 and P38 or 152 and P51D at Alt.

:salute
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 06:49:51 AM »
Spits as a plane are fine, easy kills most of the time. But the way I see it, if you wanna be a really good pilot, fly another plane that is outclassed by the others, yet become good enough that you'll beat them anyway.

Eventually, you're going to run into a real good pilot in Spit16s (few and far between) that'll kill nearly everything. But at this point, you yourself should be able to roll a spit16 yourself and have one hell of a fight with this guy.

I don't wanna sound like I'm bragging, but if I flew the spit16, 90% of AH wouldn't stand a chance.

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 07:40:07 AM »
it is more annoying when a good stick hops in one

This.  Spitfires are most excellent planes for newcomers.  We also make allowances for our British compadres, for whom the Spitfire has almost mystical significance.  But because the plane is so easy to fly, and has such fine performance and armament, competent pilots who fly them are viewed as sissies by many.

Hey, you asked!

- oldman
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 07:42:21 AM by Oldman731 »

Offline HamrDown

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 07:49:29 AM »
I fly the Spit models and find they are good all around planes, not the best at anything, especially speed, but, when flown right, they are unmatched. I mix it up, from energy fighting to vertical fights and slow turn fighting, depending on the situation. The other drawback is the fuel loads are small.
Spitfire...NOT a dweeb plane. LA7...BIG dweeb plane.

Offline HamrDown

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 07:59:03 AM »
Spits as a plane are fine, easy kills most of the time. But the way I see it, if you wanna be a really good pilot, fly another plane that is outclassed by the others, yet become good enough that you'll beat them anyway.

Eventually, you're going to run into a real good pilot in Spit16s (few and far between) that'll kill nearly everything. But at this point, you yourself should be able to roll a spit16 yourself and have one hell of a fight with this guy.

I don't wanna sound like I'm bragging, but if I flew the spit16, 90% of AH wouldn't stand a chance.
I consider myself one of the best in the Spitfire. It took a lot of time for me to settle on a favorate fighter, and the Spit is it. I also enjoy the 51, the American Spitfire. :)

Offline klingan

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 08:01:15 AM »
it is more annoying when a good stick hops in one 

+1

The Few GFC

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 08:44:33 AM »
I consider myself one of the best in the Spitfire.

Wow!
now posting as SirNuke

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2012, 09:07:48 AM »
Wow!
haha +1

Btw there are no dweeb planes, only dweeb pilots.
I dont mind getting outflown by a spit, if he is "fighting". If he won, he deserved it.

Edit: for example, Midway. While i pretty much cant stand his "licky-licky" behaviour, i like the way he is flying, except the ho. He isnt hoing as much nowadays tho.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 09:13:15 AM by Debrody »
AoM
City of ice

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2012, 09:32:47 AM »
I would argue that because the Spitfire can do everything well the pilot learns much more advanced ACM.   

Things that stubborn pilots who refuse to embrace the beauty of it WILL not know and they are only worse off because of it.   I have fought many sticks in "their"  rides and they have done better against me in the spit than the plane I don't even know how to get the most out of.   One of my main areas of weakness is when people look to energy fight me from the start of a duel and relying on me and my aggressive stance to rope myself.   This is the inner Spitfire pilot wanting to break out and finish you and the only negative of flying them that I can agree with.
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2012, 09:43:44 AM »
The spit is extremely forgiving. It is a great bird to put a new pilot in. It will give him confidence and allow him to stay in the air long enough learn ACM.

We used them in H2H for the new pilots just for that reason. For folks with some experience I see it handicapping them. The longer you stay in a spit the harder it will be to move to most any other bird. You'll develope bad habits that the spit will cover but other planes will not.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2012, 09:45:57 AM »
The longer you stay in a spit the harder it will be to move to most any other bird. You'll develope bad habits that the spit will cover but other planes will not.

why am I thinking "Midway"?
now posting as SirNuke

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2012, 09:47:16 AM »
It's not that "we" are stubborn and refuse to fly it because it's "dweeb, *I* refuse to fly spits because I want to challenge myself in a more outclassed plane. For example, I fly the K4, it can't outturn the spit and the gun package is much harder compared to the Spit. Its only real strength over the spit are scissors and E fighting. I'll play to the K4's strengths and exploit the Spit's weakness.

If I had flown a spit, I could've just pull any move and get a kill. It just doesn't feel "rewarding".

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2012, 09:47:44 AM »
The spit is extremely forgiving. It is a great bird to put a new pilot in. It will give him confidence and allow him to stay in the air long enough learn ACM.

We used them in H2H for the new pilots just for that reason. For folks with some experience I see it handicapping them. The longer you stay in a spit the harder it will be to move to most any other bird. You'll develope bad habits that the spit will cover but other planes will not.

For being so "forgiving", it seems to take little damage to kill it.  Therefore a great aeroplane to try and survive in, in order to land = Skill required, especially SA.  :aok

PARADISE ON EARTH  ------->  http://www.youtube.com/v/g_D4RhfCY2M&autoplay=1&hd=1&fs=1   <-------  PARADISE ON EARTH :)