Author Topic: Looking for FRAPS advice  (Read 736 times)

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
Looking for FRAPS advice
« on: March 22, 2012, 01:06:13 PM »
So, I bought a copy of FRAPS.  Problem is I get nasty little stutters when flying while fraps is running.  Looking for advice on the settings etc that I can change to help.  Any advice?

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline SlipKnt

• Gold Member
Re: Looking for FRAPS advice
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 02:03:57 PM »
Just record your film through AH film viewer with Fraps off.

Use the Fraps when viewing film.  Then, you can also select different angles, etc...

Another option is to turn off more things runnin gin your background. 

Hope that helps!

:cheers:
DCS:
SlipKnoT
vCSG-3, VMA-513 Flying Nightmares (AV8B)

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 02:24:49 PM »
Film viewer is the only solution I have as well.  I take a noticable Frame Rate hit whenever I use it during gameplay.
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 02:37:04 PM »
unless you have a extreme high end system you wont get rid of that.

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 03:06:08 PM »
Just record your film through AH film viewer with Fraps off.

But the only way to get recorded head movement if you use TIR is to FRAPS during the game. Also, there have been (maybe still are) issues with bombsights and task groups while playing back in the film viewer.

One thing to try to minimize stutters during in-game recording is to record half-screen size or force FRAPS to record in 30fps instead of 60. Also, it might help to record to a separate hard disk instead of your system disk.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 03:32:04 PM »
When you consider a computer with a 1920x1080 display is having almost 480MB/second of data read from it by FRAPS, it is a wonder the game can write to the video card at all.

60 times a second, there is 8MB of data being pulled from the video card.  When that data is being copied from the video card, the game cannot write any data to the video card.

You could cut down the resolution, to reduce the amount of data, which should also help to smooth things out or as Imadot stated, reduce the frames/sec FRAPS is using.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 03:55:56 PM »
But the only way to get recorded head movement if you use TIR is to FRAPS during the game. Also, there have been (maybe still are) issues with bombsights and task groups while playing back in the film viewer.

One thing to try to minimize stutters during in-game recording is to record half-screen size or force FRAPS to record in 30fps instead of 60. Also, it might help to record to a separate hard disk instead of your system disk.

This is exactly why I wanted to use fraps, because of TrackIR.  I hadn't thought of writing to a second hard drive, I will try everything suggested.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 05:57:47 PM »
This is exactly why I wanted to use fraps, because of TrackIR.  I hadn't thought of writing to a second hard drive, I will try everything suggested.

you can also go offline and get some views..... black outs and red outs and edit them in.....

I have just a 2.9 GHZ so I could never get it to run smoothly no matter what I did.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 07:18:59 PM »
You can simulate TIR head movement in the film viewer using padlock.

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 07:50:13 PM »
I did a little bit of research on this issue a while back, here's the thread:  http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,302943.0.html
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown