Author Topic: Pictures of players  (Read 392338 times)

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Pictures of players
« Reply #270 on: March 28, 2012, 07:25:18 PM »
Thanks!

It's actually the same bird in both shots; I'm only flying one bird ATM.  

cc that...but man what a treat.....to have such awesomeness so close, you are a lucky man.

did you raise it from an egg?

how difficult are they to train?

I love all animals but raptors.....are a close second to Monitor lizards for me.

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #271 on: March 28, 2012, 08:08:41 PM »
cc that...but man what a treat.....to have such awesomeness so close, you are a lucky man.

did you raise it from an egg?

how difficult are they to train?

I love all animals but raptors.....are a close second to Monitor lizards for me.

I'll preface this with the warning that what I'm doing is legal because I'm state and federally permitted to do so.  Do not try this without the proper permits...

I didn't raise this one.  She's a captive-bred hybrid though (gyrfalcon and prairie falcon). 

They're generally raised by their parents in a breeding chamber, without seeing people (apart from banding) until they're around 60 days old.  Depending upon how much (if any) imprinting is desired, they may be exposed to people much earlier than that.  This bird is an imprint.

Depending upon the type of bird, and the type of flights desired, they're not too difficult to train, or they may be very difficult to train, lol. 

The primary differences in training birds of prey are one, they only recognize food as a reward, (so training is timed to coincide with mealtimes).  And two, you only use positive reinforcement (with no negative).  You can yell at a dog, or hit it (negative reinforcement), but that won't work with a bird.  We reward positive behavior with food rewards, and simply ignore bad or undesired behavior.  You try to shape the training to allow the bird to show the behavior you want, then reward it with food, and it will then repeat the behavior.  With birds, negative reinforcement just results in fear, which is detrimental to getting them to come back...

I often fly a redtail hawk, in which case I trap an immature bird in October or so.  In that case it may take me 3-4 weeks to take a wild bird and teach it to allow me to hunt with it, return when called, and transfer off of her kills (rabbits and squirrels) for a reward.  I normally fly a redtail for 1-3 seasons, and then release it when it hits breeding age.  I trap another one the next fall.

In the case of a falcon like this, I find training more difficult.  While the redtail follows me through the trees while I flush game, the falcon is trained to climb and circle overhead (without landing) at up to several thousand feet above the falconer (called "waiting on") for periods of 20-60 minutes.  Meanwhile, I move under her with a pointer in an effort to point and then flush pheasants, or else flush ducks off of small bodies of water.  She'll then try to take them in a dive (stooping falcons have been recorded at 275 mph, while in level flight can do about 55-60 mph).

There are pro's and con's to imprinting, and pro's and con's to training older (but still immature) birds (called "passage" birds, since they're trapped in their first migration, or "passage").  Often, birds that we see as more "nervous" (accipiters, etc, such as coopers hawks and goshawks) are raised from young chicks only a few days old and are imprinted, as this makes them very tame. 

In the case of my hybrid, she's imprinted to make it very unlikely she'd ever breed in the wild if I lost her (potential pollution of wild gene pools).  She also wears two radio tracking transmitters when she flies, which allows me to track her at up to 60 miles or so.  The birds have no concept of "captivity" or "freedom", so never actually try to escape, and they fly free apart from initial training.  A bird that can fly as fast and high as her, and see quarry MILES away can get lost fairly easily though...  She can literally go MILES in the time it takes me to get back to the truck!
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline beau32

• Nickel Member
« Reply #272 on: March 28, 2012, 08:20:32 PM »
Thats awsome Mtnman, I always thought about doing it, and did alot of reseach, only thing I wouldnt be able to do is spend as much time as need be with the birds, plus the 2 years of training before I could even get my permits.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

"There is always a small microcosm of people who need to explain away their suckage."

Offline M0nkey_Man

• Gold Member
« Reply #273 on: March 28, 2012, 08:27:02 PM »
Oh what the heck....I'll play along.
My step son and I

(Image removed from quote.)
Me and my first grandchild

I dont know what it is, but you look familiar
Kommando Nowotny
delta07
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association of P-38 Pilots

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #274 on: March 28, 2012, 08:29:18 PM »
A few recent ones that my wife took.  Wrapping up the season with some training behind the house.

Love the photos Mtnman.  Is there an organization for people such as yourself who are licensed for this?  I'm interested in doing some photographs similar to what you have and would like to see if there is a way to contact someone locally.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline Tordon22

• Silver Member
« Reply #275 on: March 28, 2012, 08:30:57 PM »
I've been waiting for a couple of those Mtnman. Thanks, and like ink said awesome bird.

Offline Pepprr

• Nickel Member
« Reply #276 on: March 28, 2012, 08:35:05 PM »

Hmmmm....I might have to get a few lessons from you!
My bird seems to have it backwards  :D

~AoM~

SSACIFMTSHU 
My vids :)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk0db9fARH0

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #277 on: March 28, 2012, 08:37:17 PM »
I saw  pepprr's picture!!!  Teehee!!
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline bacon8tr

• Nickel Member
« Reply #278 on: March 28, 2012, 08:40:27 PM »
I dont know what it is, but you look familiar
Been on the news a few times  :headscratch:

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #279 on: March 28, 2012, 08:41:35 PM »
Love the photos Mtnman.  Is there an organization for people such as yourself who are licensed for this?  I'm interested in doing some photographs similar to what you have and would like to see if there is a way to contact someone locally.

Yup, there are organizations.  Not everyone belongs to them, but they're out there...

Start with local groups.  To find ours I just typed "falconry in Wisconsin" into google, which led me to the WFA.  I just emailed the contact person...  What state are you in?  There's also NAFA, the North American Falconer's Assoc.

Many groups have fall and or winter meets, where the group gets together for gossip, workshops, and hunting.  We often have non-falconers tag along to watch or take photos.  Sometimes groups also have summer get-togethers, but there's seldom any flying at those.  Our seasons run from around September to around April, and we have our birds fat and lazy for the summer months while they moult feathers.

I'm spoiled...  My wife likes the birds too, and is a photo-bug herself.  Works out well for me...  The sticky point is that it isn't legal for me to make money with my birds, so she just snaps photos for us and friends.  No sales.

I worked with National Geographic for a few days last fall, so one of my redtails will be a TV star later this year.  She'll be shown hunting squirrels in an episode on forests.  I can't be paid for that, though...  I won't be shown, either.  I have to say though, it was pretty awesome!  I was ok with doing it for free, lol!
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #280 on: March 28, 2012, 08:41:48 PM »
thanx for reply Mtnman......

one of the things I was wondering about is the imprinting...thought that would be the only way to train them.

I am surprised you can take a wild one and train it.

I would not do it, just because time/money and what not....

Ya I figured you would have to use positive training.

A long time ago I watched a show on the peregrine falcon, and a guy took his bird up to 30,000 and jumped from a plane with it.....its been awhile since I watched it but I believe they clocked that bird at over 300 MPH

again man it is a huge treat what you get to do with those birds.

hell (I am sure you know this) but at one point only royalty was allowed to own them.

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #281 on: March 28, 2012, 08:42:54 PM »

Hmmmm....I might have to get a few lessons from you!
My bird seems to have it backwards  :D

Careful!  That's how I started too  :aok
MtnMan

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #282 on: March 28, 2012, 08:49:08 PM »
Yup, there are organizations.  Not everyone belongs to them, but they're out there...

Start with local groups.  To find ours I just typed "falconry in Wisconsin" into google, which led me to the WFA.  I just emailed the contact person...  What state are you in?  There's also NAFA, the North American Falconer's Assoc.

Many groups have fall and or winter meets, where the group gets together for gossip, workshops, and hunting.  We often have non-falconers tag along to watch or take photos.  Sometimes groups also have summer get-togethers, but there's seldom any flying at those.  Our seasons run from around September to around April, and we have our birds fat and lazy for the summer months while they moult feathers.

I'm spoiled...  My wife likes the birds too, and is a photo-bug herself.  Works out well for me...  The sticky point is that it isn't legal for me to make money with my birds, so she just snaps photos for us and friends.  No sales.

I worked with National Geographic for a few days last fall, so one of my redtails will be a TV star later this year.  She'll be shown hunting squirrels in an episode on forests.  I can't be paid for that, though...  I won't be shown, either.  I have to say though, it was pretty awesome!  I was ok with doing it for free, lol!

I'm South of you in Illinois.  I wouldn't be looking to make money off of the photos myself.  I would like to do it for the personal satisfaction.  I would give the Falconer copies of the image files for their trouble.  As a photographer, I just think it would be really interesting to do and I find the birds themselves quite amazing.

Here's a couple shots of a wild Bald Eagle that I shot while on vacation in Northern Wisconsin a couple of years ago.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 08:55:17 PM by PFactorDave »

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline greens

• Silver Member
« Reply #283 on: March 28, 2012, 08:51:02 PM »
Crown Royal and Guns n Roses? dude you're my new best friend!
ahahaaha! yes sir crown is tops when it comes to straight shots, no chaser, chaser is fer sissys. CHEERS!!!.     

<S> greens
_-=ELIM EAGLES=-_
in loving memory of OZ <Eagles21>
 miss you bro!

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #284 on: March 28, 2012, 08:56:24 PM »
I'm South of you in Illinois.  I wouldn't be looking to make money off of the photos myself.  I would like to do it for the personal satisfaction.  I would give the Falconer copies of the image files for their trouble.  As a photographer, I just think it would be really interesting to do and I find the birds themselves quite amazing.

Here's a couple shots of a wild Bald Eagle that I shot while on vacation in Northern Wisconsin a couple of years ago.

Nice pics Dave :aok