Author Topic: Pictures of players  (Read 392321 times)

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
Re: Pictures of players
« Reply #285 on: March 28, 2012, 09:10:35 PM »
one of the things I was wondering about is the imprinting...thought that would be the only way to train them.

I am surprised you can take a wild one and train it.

It's funny I suppose, but taking the wild one and training it is probably easier than raising and imprinting one.  It definitely takes far less time, and is far less complicated.

The wild-caught bird has been on its own for several weeks or months.  It knows how to hunt, and the fact that it's alive means that it's successful enough to keep itself fed (eating as much as 25% of its body weight daily), in an environment where accidents and failure to succeed in hunting will claim 65% of birds in their first few months of life.  Of course, it may have already "taught" itself that it's "impossible" or pointless to try catching what the falconer wants to hunt with it.  It can be tough to un-train things like that...  The bird will tame down easy enough, but will always be "wild", and more prone to loss.

An imprint can be as tame as a kitten.  But it has to be taught to hunt (which also means it can also be taught WHAT to hunt).  That wonderful tameness can also be problematic, because it can lead to some extremely undesirable behavior.  Do you imprint it as a "sibling", or as a "parent"?  The birds imprint to different stages at different days of age.  Feeding an imprint is odd; for at least the first 40-60 days of age it must always have food, never be hungry, and never know that food comes from you.  After that, you'll teach it that you'll take it to food (or an opportunity to hunt) but do everything you can to not let it realize that you bring food to it.

A long time ago I watched a show on the peregrine falcon, and a guy took his bird up to 30,000 and jumped from a plane with it.....its been awhile since I watched it but I believe they clocked that bird at over 300 MPH

I have a copy of that episode.  248mph from 14000 feet.  It's tough to figure out how to make a bird go "as fast as it can".  That bird went fast enough to catch its lure; but was that as fast as it could go?

hell (I am sure you know this) but at one point only royalty was allowed to own them.

It's funny, actually, that we almost all think back to medieval Europe when we think about falconry.  I'm guilty of it too.  In reality, that was just a little snapshot of a few hundred years in a specific location, in a sport that has been practiced world wide for a minimum of 4000 years (some think 9000+).  Even in those times, it was only certain birds that could only be owned by certain royalty (the gyrfalcon is a prime example).  Other birds could be owned by almost anyone.  The goshawk was known as the "cook's hawk".

Medieval falconry is probably best compared to modern golf, when it comes to who could do it, who did it, and why they did it.
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #286 on: March 28, 2012, 09:12:42 PM »
I'm South of you in Illinois.  I wouldn't be looking to make money off of the photos myself.  I would like to do it for the personal satisfaction.  I would give the Falconer copies of the image files for their trouble.  As a photographer, I just think it would be really interesting to do and I find the birds themselves quite amazing.

Here's a couple shots of a wild Bald Eagle that I shot while on vacation in Northern Wisconsin a couple of years ago.

(Image removed from quote.)

Nice photos!

Yup, there are actually two clubs in Illinois.  Now I remeber you mentioning that you drive through near me to head up north occasionally.  You might just have to stop in some time...  I live west of Oshkosh, SE of Waupaca.
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #287 on: March 28, 2012, 09:14:46 PM »
Thats awsome Mtnman, I always thought about doing it, and did alot of reseach, only thing I wouldnt be able to do is spend as much time as need be with the birds, plus the 2 years of training before I could even get my permits.

Yup, the time is the killer...

If you're not addicted to it, you won't succeed at it.
MtnMan

Offline M0nkey_Man

• Gold Member
« Reply #288 on: March 28, 2012, 09:19:37 PM »
Been on the news a few times  :headscratch:
dont know, going to be thinking about it all night now :lol
Kommando Nowotny
delta07
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association of P-38 Pilots

Offline bacon8tr

• Nickel Member
« Reply #289 on: March 28, 2012, 09:21:48 PM »
Well your in SE TX, that's my neck of the woods  :cheers:

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #290 on: March 28, 2012, 09:24:53 PM »
It's funny I suppose, but taking the wild one and training it is probably easier than raising and imprinting one.  It definitely takes far less time, and is far less complicated.

The wild-caught bird has been on its own for several weeks or months.  It knows how to hunt, and the fact that it's alive means that it's successful enough to keep itself fed (eating as much as 25% of its body weight daily), in an environment where accidents and failure to succeed in hunting will claim 65% of birds in their first few months of life.  Of course, it may have already "taught" itself that it's "impossible" or pointless to try catching what the falconer wants to hunt with it.  It can be tough to un-train things like that...  The bird will tame down easy enough, but will always be "wild", and more prone to loss.

An imprint can be as tame as a kitten.  But it has to be taught to hunt (which also means it can also be taught WHAT to hunt).  That wonderful tameness can also be problematic, because it can lead to some extremely undesirable behavior.  Do you imprint it as a "sibling", or as a "parent"?  The birds imprint to different stages at different days of age.  Feeding an imprint is odd; for at least the first 40-60 days of age it must always have food, never be hungry, and never know that food comes from you.  After that, you'll teach it that you'll take it to food (or an opportunity to hunt) but do everything you can to not let it realize that you bring food to it.

I have a copy of that episode.  248mph from 14000 feet.  It's tough to figure out how to make a bird go "as fast as it can".  That bird went fast enough to catch its lure; but was that as fast as it could go?

It's funny, actually, that we almost all think back to medieval Europe when we think about falconry.  I'm guilty of it too.  In reality, that was just a little snapshot of a few hundred years in a specific location, in a sport that has been practiced world wide for a minimum of 4000 years (some think 9000+).  Even in those times, it was only certain birds that could only be owned by certain royalty (the gyrfalcon is a prime example).  Other birds could be owned by almost anyone.  The goshawk was known as the "cook's hawk".

Medieval falconry is probably best compared to modern golf, when it comes to who could do it, who did it, and why they did it.

your explanation of the imprinting makes it much more understandable. :aok

wish I lived near you I would drive just to see them, hell if I didn't have all the kids, I would drive from here.

and damn I thought he brought it up to 30K.....  :o

Offline M0nkey_Man

• Gold Member
« Reply #291 on: March 28, 2012, 09:25:31 PM »
Well your in SE TX, that's my neck of the woods  :cheers:
Best part of Texas :D
Kommando Nowotny
delta07
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association of P-38 Pilots

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #292 on: March 28, 2012, 09:31:54 PM »
your explanation of the imprinting makes it much more understandable. :aok

wish I lived near you I would drive just to see them, hell if I didn't have all the kids, I would drive from here.

and damn I thought he brought it up to 30K.....  :o

NH isn't that far, is it?

You'd be welcome....
MtnMan

Offline ebfd11

• Platinum Member
      • [b]POTW[/b]
« Reply #293 on: March 28, 2012, 09:32:28 PM »
Well I am sure peoples computers will fry out when they see this pic..

Me

My ride

« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 10:24:13 PM by ebfd11 »
PIGS ON THE WING 3RD WING

InGame id: LawnDart
RIP Skullman Potzie and BentNail

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #294 on: March 28, 2012, 09:39:42 PM »
NH isn't that far, is it?

You'd be welcome....

about 860 miles, not as far as I thought.

I may find myself and the wife on a road trip one of these days :D

and thank ya :salute

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #295 on: March 28, 2012, 09:48:26 PM »
about 860 miles, not as far as I thought.

I may find myself and the wife on a road trip one of these days :D

and thank ya :salute

If you ever do, let me know and I'll drive up at the same time.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline Pepprr

• Nickel Member
« Reply #296 on: March 28, 2012, 09:50:07 PM »

I saw  pepprr's picture!!!  Teehee!!

what of dorky me or my dorky bird    :D
compared to mtnman's my bird kind of looks like an overweight green chicken waiting for supper  :rofl

Careful!  That's how I started too  :aok

Would love to do what you do!  :aok

~AoM~

SSACIFMTSHU 
My vids :)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk0db9fARH0

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #297 on: March 28, 2012, 09:52:46 PM »

Me

My ride

[img]http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h360/lawndart7051/100_0746.jpg]/img]

you ride a bunch of letters................. :D

the pic didn't come through.

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #298 on: March 28, 2012, 09:54:35 PM »
you ride a bunch of letters................. :D

the pic didn't come through.
Nice truck. :aok
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 10:29:07 PM by Midway »

PARADISE ON EARTH  ------->  http://www.youtube.com/v/g_D4RhfCY2M&autoplay=1&hd=1&fs=1   <-------  PARADISE ON EARTH :)

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #299 on: March 28, 2012, 10:00:27 PM »

Me

My ride

[img]http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h360/lawndart7051/100_0746.jpg]/img]

My grandfather owned a Trucking Company and drove a truck for almost 30 years.  I have much respect for you, sir!  :cheers:
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||