Author Topic: Literally going Cyborg  (Read 1338 times)

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
Literally going Cyborg
« on: March 27, 2012, 07:06:44 PM »
Nope not the joystick. After years of flying on an intermitent basis bugged by the fact I can't hear a word over the vox because of a profound hearing loss, I have recently had a cochlear implant. No miracle cure expected, but I get switched on in a couple of weeks and will be literally directly wired for sound! Heck I may even hear the stall buzzer or a check 6 call.

The thought of the PC audio cable being plugged directly into my sound processor seems sort of weird, but I must admit I am rather looking forward to getting at least some audio input after years of relative silence.

For those that don't know what a cochlear implant is, It's a chip implanted into the skull with electrodes wired into the cochlear, which is the hearing organ with its nerve going to your brain. I sort of cringed a bit today when I discovered that part of the surgery included putting a 16mm dia by 2mm deep rebate into my skull to seat the chip part in! Unfortunately it does not come with an upgradeable motherboard or additional RAM to give me any futher benefits  ;) 

Offline 1MADDOG1

• Silver Member
Re: Literally going Cyborg
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 07:11:14 PM »
Ask about the bonus graphics card and the mail-in rebate. :rofl

Seriously though, I hope everything works out for the good. It will be like another world.
Take the sound level in steps as you don't want to blow it out on the first sorti.
Good luck and best wishes. :pray :angel: :pray
:old: SM1/E-6 USN 1980-1991 (100% Disabled Vet) Served on FFG-11, FFG-13, FF-1047, LHD-1, HC-16, NAS Pensacola (Navy Police)
Multi AHXARL Season & Finale Champion, Having Fun Since Tour #76
I'm also PorkyPig, DickWeed, 1CASPER1 & Calypso

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 07:28:26 PM »
 :aok May I suggest Twinbooms sound pack?  :D
Lighten up Francis

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 07:36:02 PM »
To give some perspective on just how profound this change is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7hPx0k8QsY

Offline Torquila

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 07:44:08 PM »
Scary stuff bro, give us a shout-out when you get the occular upgrade as well  :lol

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 08:29:04 PM »
Nope not the joystick. After years of flying on an intermitent basis bugged by the fact I can't hear a word over the vox because of a profound hearing loss, I have recently had a cochlear implant. No miracle cure expected, but I get switched on in a couple of weeks and will be literally directly wired for sound! Heck I may even hear the stall buzzer or a check 6 call.

The thought of the PC audio cable being plugged directly into my sound processor seems sort of weird, but I must admit I am rather looking forward to getting at least some audio input after years of relative silence.

For those that don't know what a cochlear implant is, It's a chip implanted into the skull with electrodes wired into the cochlear, which is the hearing organ with its nerve going to your brain. I sort of cringed a bit today when I discovered that part of the surgery included putting a 16mm dia by 2mm deep rebate into my skull to seat the chip part in! Unfortunately it does not come with an upgradeable motherboard or additional RAM to give me any futher benefits  ;) 

Congrats to you sir!!!!!  Now for the horrible truths of sound in-game:

Do not listen to:

Shawks voice
AKpepprr's voice (you wont be able to concentrate)
HiTech's check 6
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 10:25:33 AM »
I hope all goes well. Too many take their hearing for granted.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 10:27:19 AM »
Wow, that video was quite moving.

Good luck Blagard, Ralph Vaughan Williams on standby I trust?
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline ozrocker

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 08:50:57 AM »
Congrats!
I've been totally deaf in my right Ear since 1988. Happened while
I was in the Army. "Sensorineural" hearing loss. In other words, nerve damage.
Have moderate loss in left.
Have had "Tympanomastoidectomys" 1 on each Ear.
Was initially given "Bicross" hearing aids from Landstuhl in Germany.
I couldn't stand them, I just deal with it without hearing aids.
Wonder if it would benefit me as well.

:cheers: Oz
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 08:56:43 AM by ozrocker »
Flying and dying since Tour 29
The world is grown so bad. That wrens make prey where eagles dare not perch.- Shakespeare

30% Disabled Vet  US ARMY- 11C2H 2/32 AR. 3rd AD, 3/67AR. 2nd AD, 2/64 AR. 3rd ID, ABGD Command TRADOC, 1/16th INF. 1st ID

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 03:01:38 PM »
wow man Awesome :aok

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2012, 03:59:26 PM »
Congrats!
I've been totally deaf in my right Ear since 1988. Happened while
I was in the Army. "Sensorineural" hearing loss. In other words, nerve damage.
Have moderate loss in left.
Have had "Tympanomastoidectomys" 1 on each Ear.
Was initially given "Bicross" hearing aids from Landstuhl in Germany.
I couldn't stand them, I just deal with it without hearing aids.
Wonder if it would benefit me as well.
                                                                                                                            :cheers: Oz

I certainly could not tell you what benefit you would get or even if you are a suitable candidate. Each case has to be investigated on it's own merits. Personally I have been totally deaf in my right ear for perhaps close to 20 years

I had a high frequency loss in my left ear that had the effect of me being deaf over 1khz and normal at 250hz, but it is extremely difficult to understand speech and I aquired lip reading skills without even knowing it! Alas, eventually even with lip reading the loss was so bad the struggle was eventually too much.

The choice I got was an implant in my right ear and gamble the nerve would function. Or implant my left ear and also lose the residual hearing it has! I have gone for broke and had it done to my left ear. I used to be able to hear some engine noise and wheel rumble on the tarmac but not any more.
Pretty much total silence online right now. However when I get switched on after the healing is complete I should be able to hear a hell of a lot more. The sound quality will be entirely new to me and I have to "learn" to hear again.

I suggest you at least let the experts test you and find out what can be done. It is a risky thing to undertake and testing involves the psychological side of things as well as your hearing. Not everyone is going to be up to the challenge and cope with the risks. Apparently I convinced them I was sane enough! ;). If the merlin sounds like a lawnmower I will not be amused and that could do the trick for me.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 04:14:35 PM by Blagard »

Offline Pigslilspaz

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2012, 04:48:20 PM »
Buddy of mine and his little brother both have Coch implants. He had to remove his during wrestling matches in highschool though. Luckily our coach knew sign language so there was no delay which there would have been with an interpreter.

Quote from: Superfly
The rules are simple: Don't be a dick.
Quote from: hitech
It was skuzzy's <----- fault.
Quote from: Pyro
We just witnessed a miracle and I want you to @#$%^& acknowledge it!

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2012, 06:24:18 PM »
I believe they have a bluetooth version of the cochlear implant, that would be very useful.  One of my customers had one, and It was literally night and day difference for him.  like total hearing loss to what he described was fairly normal hearing ability.

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2012, 06:36:14 PM »
Edit:Bad Zoney, bad.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 06:58:30 PM by Zoney »
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2012, 07:44:47 PM »
I believe they have a bluetooth version of the cochlear implant, that would be very useful.  One of my customers had one, and It was literally night and day difference for him.  like total hearing loss to what he described was fairly normal hearing ability.

A bluetooth connection can be made to the implant via the external processor. So you can use a bluetooth mobile set with it and some other bluetooth connections as well, but they still require the bluetooth part as an add on. If your customer has a cochlear processor with bluetooth built in then that's great. I know the one I am getting does not and I'm unaware of any that do. Although I am sure it will happen eventually. The following link is to one I will be having http://www.cochlear.com/au/node/14021

It's great to hear of people who have had terrific success with an implant, but because results vary so much, you have to be realistic and just hope you do better than the average - At the other end of the scale there are total failures!