Author Topic: ACM vs. SA  (Read 1754 times)

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Re: ACM vs. SA
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2012, 12:42:04 AM »
I am a strong believer in making SA ( Situational Awareness ) one's absolute top priority, and for them to constantly practice their SA technique ( using Good SA habits/practices )

and note..... noone ever "masters"  SA ( Situational Awareness ).......  SA is a never ending practice of habit.....

then , my next major question would be, why did everyone who has posted so far, not give any consideration to BFM ( also include gunnery skill with this ,too ) , being more important than ACM

in the past, I had always put SA at the top....... then would continously give repeating lil refresher courses on SA,  through the stages of teaching aircraft control, and BFM

I consider E-Management a part of SA

hope this helps

<S>

TC  /  VlPER
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2012, 09:44:45 AM »
What is BFM sir?
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2012, 10:00:12 AM »
What is BFM sir?

Bruv Fighting Manuevers.   :aok

PARADISE ON EARTH  ------->  http://www.youtube.com/v/g_D4RhfCY2M&autoplay=1&hd=1&fs=1   <-------  PARADISE ON EARTH :)

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2012, 10:02:50 AM »
SA and energy management are integral parts of BFM (basic fighter maneuvers) and how to employ it.  Google BFM.  There are numerous "how to" references available.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 10:06:08 AM by Puma44 »

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2012, 10:09:23 AM »
British Furniture Manufacturers  :banana:
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2012, 11:18:12 AM »
SA keeps you alive:

long enough to get kills using ACM, survival being secondary, hence allowing SA to be overwhelmed

or

to avoid dying, kills being secondary, hence less need for ACM.

We're all a mix of the above. It's the peter principle at work, "...rise to one's level of incompetence"  :noid
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2012, 11:20:45 AM »
SA keeps you alive:

long enough to get kills using ACM, survival being secondary, hence allowing SA to be overwhelmed

or

to avoid dying, kills being secondary, hence less need for ACM.

We're all a mix of the above. It's the peter principle at work, "...rise to one's level of incompetence"  :noid

Best^

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2012, 11:41:12 AM »
all i will say. SA lets you know your odds and lets you stay up. but once that first fight starts ACM is equal to SA by every single molecule. without both you cannot win/kill your enemy
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline RedBull1

• Gold Member
« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2012, 11:44:50 AM »
What is BFM sir?

Basic Fighter Maneuvers

:salute
"There is absolutely no point discussing anything on the BBS, it's mostly populated by people who are right about everything, no one listens and everyone is just talking. People will argue over the shape of an egg." -Anonymous

Offline ghi

• Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2012, 12:03:49 PM »
Gentle men and lady,

What are your thought on Air Combat Maneuvers (ACM) vs. Situational Awareness (SA)?  Pretending that they two diff thing in this context please.

I find SA MUCH more important than ACM.  Knowing who is where, at what altitudes and relative speed more value than tricky-dicky plane man new vers.  Further more...if I get vulched, ho'd or killed in any way I find 95% reason was letting self be made into a fire solution for sum one.  So I just salute them as they earn the kill (vulch, ho etc.).  I let them get fire solution on me so they earn salute seem truth!

Hope I make English well.  I say SA more important than ACM by far!

What you think? What you experience?  Please share.

Thank you,

Wofat  :salute
In real life SA, i've read over 80% of the pilots shot down WW2, didn't have any idea what hit them. Same like driving down on the highway and changing lanes; watch is your life not a game. But in AH ,I'm paying for fun, entertainment, i don't care also if i get vulched, picked, and ACM offers more fun.

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2012, 01:06:07 PM »
I agree with BAR, and would even take it a step further, saying that in a fight ACM is perhaps even MORE important than SA is.

Let me explain why: SA compliments ACM, helping to keep you alive in the long run. Hwever, without ACM, you won't live through the short run, and the long-run becomes irrelevent.

Who cares if you're 10 times more likely to get shot down 5 minutes later if you DO manuver, as long as you survive RIGHT NOW where you're 10.0001 times more likely to be shot down if DON'T manuver.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"