Author Topic: Giant RC Planes  (Read 955 times)

Offline katanaso

• Gold Member
Giant RC Planes
« on: April 03, 2012, 03:09:08 PM »
mir
80th FS "Headhunters"

The most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
Re: Giant RC Planes
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 03:14:58 PM »
That big 109 is sexy.

Some of those landings had me cringing though.  Looked like a bit of a crosswind.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 03:19:21 PM by PFactorDave »

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 03:33:17 PM »
That big 109 is sexy.

Some of those landings had me cringing though.  Looked like a bit of a crosswind.

There were a few that were really good - I wonder how many RC crashes are stall/spin related  :D

Lots of ground looping
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline Pigslilspaz

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 03:51:28 PM »
Some of those were HUGE

Quote from: Superfly
The rules are simple: Don't be a dick.
Quote from: hitech
It was skuzzy's <----- fault.
Quote from: Pyro
We just witnessed a miracle and I want you to @#$%^& acknowledge it!

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 03:59:43 PM »
Some of those were HUGE

Some of them looked like real airplanes
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline F22RaptorDude

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 04:32:41 PM »
Flying is easy once your up there, its the landing that gets people  :lol
Reaper in a T-50-2 Scout tank in 10 seconds flat

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 05:36:25 PM »
There were a few that were really good - I wonder how many RC crashes are stall/spin related  :D

Lots of ground looping

Ground effect gets a lot of R/C pilots who approach too fast.  They think they have a good angle on their approach, then they get into the ground effect and the plane won't settle, so they try to fly it onto the ground.  Bad piloting in my book.  When I was teaching guys to fly R/C, I taught good approaches with a proper flare at the end to set down.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 06:58:07 PM »
Ground effect gets a lot of R/C pilots who approach too fast.  They think they have a good angle on their approach, then they get into the ground effect and the plane won't settle, so they try to fly it onto the ground.  Bad piloting in my book.  When I was teaching guys to fly R/C, I taught good approaches with a proper flare at the end to set down.

Quoted for extreme truth.  

I was largely self taught on R/C electrics, and when I finally got around to taking some proper lessons from one of the best R/C guys around town, the bad habits I had acquired were nearly all related to set up and subsequent landing as Factor stated.  Once you have been taught the proper way to do it, the rest of the flying, at least for me, became easier as anticipating that landing wasn't going through my head the whole time I was in the air doing beginners maneuvers.

Do a google search for fly eagle jets.  I was in Taiwan a few years back, and it's like their national pastime I swear.  They close down sections of highways on the weekend to let guys fly these 1/5 and larger scale jet fighters off of them.  I've seen an F15 doing probably 180 MPH one day, it was pretty amazing.

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 10:09:55 PM »
Joe Nall next month! Who's going?
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline COndor06

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.CondorAerial.com
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 10:49:48 AM »
I will be at Joe Nall this year. We are flying the Super Connie, a B25 and a B-17, and the Gee Bee R3

The guy in the pic built the aircraft. He is in Vietnam. It was just test flown for the first time three days ago.

It flies on 4 of the new OS 33s

Be careful what you shoot at. Most things
in here don't react too well to bullets.
Captain Marko Ramius:

http://www.CondorAerial.com

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 04:17:57 PM »
I will be at Joe Nall this year. We are flying the Super Connie, a B25 and a B-17, and the Gee Bee R3

The guy in the pic built the aircraft. He is in Vietnam. It was just test flown for the first time three days ago.

It flies on 4 of the new OS 33s

(Image removed from quote.)

Fantastic!

I've gone up to Palmdale/Lancaster, CA a couple times to watch them do their thing out there.  Pretty amazing projects and dedicated people in it that take to just one-notch short of the real deal.
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Molsman

• Aces High CM Retired
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 04:30:32 PM »
looks like some of my landings in the game,,, alot of cool planes there thanks for sharing
Molsman, Crazy8s , Crazyman
JG11, DerWanderZirkus, -The Flying Clowns-

Offline cpxxx

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2012, 04:31:21 PM »
I want that Yellow Cub. Some of them are huge. In some countries once above a certain weight and size. They have to be registered like full size aircraft. That's the rule here in Ireland. There was a case here some time ago when a big model got away from it's owner and flew off. Sometime later at the airport an airline pilot reported a model aircraft parked on a taxiway. Somehow it ran out of fuel over the airport and made a passable landing almost making the runway. Clearly there might be a bit of AI in that model.

The whole incident was the subject of a full accident report which is almost funny to read. Yet the potential for disaster was there.

I presume there's some form of failsafe in those big models.

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2012, 04:46:28 PM »
I want that Yellow Cub. Some of them are huge. In some countries once above a certain weight and size. They have to be registered like full size aircraft. That's the rule here in Ireland. There was a case here some time ago when a big model got away from it's owner and flew off. Sometime later at the airport an airline pilot reported a model aircraft parked on a taxiway. Somehow it ran out of fuel over the airport and made a passable landing almost making the runway. Clearly there might be a bit of AI in that model.

The whole incident was the subject of a full accident report which is almost funny to read. Yet the potential for disaster was there.

I presume there's some form of failsafe in those big models.

CP,

U got that report?

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Offline COndor06

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.CondorAerial.com
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2012, 04:48:22 PM »
Heres my Mustang video. She is a blast to fly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N65U10CJFv8
Be careful what you shoot at. Most things
in here don't react too well to bullets.
Captain Marko Ramius:

http://www.CondorAerial.com