Author Topic: Manual Trimming and Combat Trim  (Read 1184 times)

Offline curry1

• Gold Member
Manual Trimming and Combat Trim
« on: April 06, 2012, 12:33:01 PM »
So I was was doing some 1v1s with shiv last night and he started talking about setting the trim nose down so when you pop flaps it doesn't cause the plane to bounce up as much.  Since I am cheap I have a Logitech 3D Pro and no analog slider to control my elevator trim.  Is there a way with keystroke to set my trim so when I turn of combat trim it will automatically go to a default setting?  Or am I hosed with no analog slider and have manually trim the elevator down with the "i" key?

So here is a cat with a piece of bacon taped to it for your viewing pleasure.
Curry1-Since Tour 101

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
Re: Manual Trimming and Combat Trim
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 12:35:07 PM »
I think you're SOL, but that picture is funny.  :lol
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 12:38:00 PM »
No there is only the key stroke. You could use your sticks software to create a macro to hit the trim switch the same number of times on a single hit.

Offline curry1

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 12:40:33 PM »
No there is only the key stroke. You could use your sticks software to create a macro to hit the trim switch the same number of times on a single hit.

Only problem with that is when you turn combat trim off there is no way of knowing where the elevator is trimmed at at that specific moment.  So hitting a set amount of times will not work.
Curry1-Since Tour 101

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 12:43:18 PM »
It will be close enough as you'll switch at about the same times and speed in your fights so the combat trim will have you trimed at about the same trim al the time.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 12:51:34 PM »
Just push your stick forward. Flaps will change your effective AOA regardless of your trim setting and flaps generally extend faster than trim changes. Personally I like the nose coming up, that's usually what I want when I extend flaps.

Offline curry1

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 01:28:28 PM »
Just push your stick forward. Flaps will change your effective AOA regardless of your trim setting and flaps generally extend faster than trim changes. Personally I like the nose coming up, that's usually what I want when I extend flaps.

Uhh no that is definitely not what I want when I am in a dogfight trying to shoot.  The last thing I want is my nose bobbing up and down while aiming and shooting.  Most every good pilot uses the trim to get more out of their aircraft.
Curry1-Since Tour 101

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 01:34:05 PM »
Uhh no that is definitely not what I want when I am in a dogfight trying to shoot.  The last thing I want is my nose bobbing up and down while aiming and shooting.  Most every good pilot uses the trim to get more out of their aircraft.

Thanks for the tip. Why are you extending flaps when you shoot?

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 01:44:52 PM »
You can trim by keystrokes k=up, i=down, j=left and l=right. The x key along with its combinations will reset all trimming.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2012, 01:55:40 PM »
On the odd occassion I want to manually adjust trims to avoid applying stick movement. So I use the period key. While you are flying with controls moved a little to suit a certain attitude, pressing the period key will move the trims to trim out to where you were holding the stick. It is important that you are not moving the stick around at the time.

Typically when on approach and I am in a shallow dive to the runway I use the period to trim out the forward stick I would otherwise have to hold. It trims all controls so if you also have aileron in to counter reduced torque that gets trimmed to

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2012, 02:26:19 PM »
Good tip Blagard. I think most players don't even know about trim set. It doesn't stay set with analog trim but when you hold the period key it will move the trim indicators and show you what the analog trim position needs to be to get the same result.

You can trim for a dive with auto-angle (shift x) and it will also trim aileron as well as elevator but trim set will let you set a descending, level, or climbing turn. It would be handy if jumping to the gunner position didn't turn trim set off.

Offline curry1

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2012, 02:48:25 PM »
Thanks for the tip. Why are you extending flaps when you shoot?

Typically because I am in a dogfight and trying to out turn the other fighter.
Curry1-Since Tour 101

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2012, 03:15:35 PM »
Typically because I am in a dogfight and trying to out turn the other fighter.

If you need to increase your turn to gain angles for a shot then you want your nose pitching up.

Offline curry1

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2012, 03:24:39 PM »
If you need to increase your turn to gain angles for a shot then you want your nose pitching up.

True.

We are getting way off topic here can we please go back to the OP and try to answer my question?
Curry1-Since Tour 101

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2012, 03:42:25 PM »
True.

We are getting way off topic here can we please go back to the OP and try to answer my question?

When you pop flaps push the stick forward to prevent the nose coming up.

If you tend to have problems with nose bounce see me in the TA. In my experience nose bounce problems are usually too much damping and deadband.