Author Topic: House broken into.  (Read 4052 times)

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
House broken into.
« on: April 08, 2012, 09:04:03 PM »
For some reason they didn't take the PC or the monitor. They did get the TV. We think a neighbor interrupted them. She gave detail of the suspects and the vehicle.

It sure takes away from that once almost secure feeling. The police said they missed a lot and will probably be back. I'm trying to secure the place but that takes money. So far I've put bars up in the window they broke in on and have alerted my neighbors to be on the look out. Found out today the neighbor across the street was broken into as well. Same M.O. They broke out a rear window and crawled in. Not sure how they did it but they got my 42 inch flat panel out that broken window. The doors are dead bolted. I believe they could get it out diagonally but they must have taken the base off. With all the jagged glass I feel they must have scratched it up pretty good and it may not be useful to them. That's what I'm hoping.

So instead of playing AH I've been working on the house. Fortunately I had replaced a window a couple of years ago and kept it. The panes fit right into the broken window and that was fixed in minutes. Took a bit to figure out the bars but that wasn't too bad except my cordless drill was dead and the bolts that came with it where like butter. Then I had to replace the blinds. Not a bad job but it took a bit of measuring. Since I replaced one I replaced another. There are still 2 windows I am concerned about but that has to wait.

I have plans to make the place more secure but those cannot be done instantly. Going to grab a couple more window bars tomorrow and a lock for the computer room. None of this stuff guarantees anything but maybe if I make it difficult enough they will be dissuaded. Later I'm putting up a driveway gate so they can't pull into the driveway. There other things I'm going to do as well that won't cost money but will require time.

I am thinking about an alarm system and/or a dog. Not sure of either. I don't trust alarm companies for the most part and taking care of a dog is quite a chore at times.

Going to be a long day tomorrow.

Going to be a long day at work tomorrow.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
Re: House broken into.
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 09:10:48 PM »
Don't you hate that.

Had a burglar come in our house a few years back.  Too bad for him I was home at the time.  My 9mm outclassed his fish-bonker bat.  The look on his face was priceless when he came around the corner and looked down the muzzle of my pistol.   :D

He left much quicker than he came in.
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline M0nkey_Man

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 09:16:09 PM »
Don't you hate that.

Had a burglar come in our house a few years back.  Too bad for him I was home at the time.  My 9mm outclassed his fish-bonker bat.  The look on his face was priceless when he came around the corner and looked down the muzzle of my pistol.   :D

:rofl
FlyKommando.com

"Tip of the dull butter knife"
delta07

Offline KgB

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 09:42:21 PM »
Don't you hate that.

I'm surprised he didn't come back when you not home to take your gun.
"It is the greatest inequality to try to make unequal things equal."-Aristotle

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 11:41:54 AM »
I'm surprised he didn't come back when you not home to take your gun.

He's more than welcome to lug my extremely heavy safe out. :D

More than likely he'll go to a different house as criminals hate victims having guns.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 11:44:32 AM »
Ask a friend for some empty ammo boxes, leave them around the windows.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 11:51:50 AM »
Ask a friend for some empty ammo boxes, leave them around the windows.

When we lived downtown our apartment (duplex) had a large window in the door.  Just inside the door on the wall the wife hung one of my qualification silhouettes with the center shot out of it. :D
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 12:20:05 PM »
Sorry to hear that Getback. It must be a chitty feeling to not have peace of mind in your own home.
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 12:34:07 PM »
Locking up things is one thing. Nothing you can reasonably do will make the house impregnable. The best defense is to make it look like there is someone there all the time. Make it look like it is not locked up and some one is home and the majority of burglars will pass it by. Not all of them just most of them. Doesn't mean you shouldn't lock the doors and windows. Have some timers to start things like the TV and or radio. Lights turning on and off at times will help out so that it looks like the place is occupied. Starting the garden sprinkler looks good too. If you can set the watering system, assuming you have one, to work during the hours you are working makes it look like you are taking care of the yard.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 12:35:02 PM »
Are you able to get a dog?  Thieves don't much like German Shepherds.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2012, 12:57:27 PM »

Offline Rash

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2012, 01:48:11 PM »
My house was broken into last Nov.  All they took was my 50" tv.
The UNFORGIVEN

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2012, 01:54:56 PM »
Something else you can do to discourage thieves when you aren't home...  Leave a radio on, preferably a talk radio channel.  From outside the home, the thief will hear voices.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2012, 02:12:34 PM »
Are you able to get a dog?  Thieves don't much like German Shepherds.

That is correct, sir  :aok

If a criminal is dumb enough to ignore my sign woe be unto them.

If I have the hund with me, the cameras will see who it was and record it.

If it happens when my wife is home, I hope they have decided between cremation or burial...

Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline TwinBoom

• Gold Member
      • 39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2012, 02:14:19 PM »
Cheap & will keep the average thief thinking.

http://www.reddotsecurity.com/5-inch-ir-dummy-camera-in-circular-outdoor-housing-with-light-silver.html

thatnks for the link theses are cheaper and better looking than the ones home depot carry even the cheap looking one i have fooled a friend of mine
TBs Sounds 
39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"NOSEART