Author Topic: House broken into.  (Read 3275 times)

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Re: House broken into.
« Reply #60 on: April 10, 2012, 09:57:16 PM »
my house is made up of brick, solid oak, tar, and some other things, hollow point rounds from a .223 55gr will not "over penetrate" there are reasons SWAT and and the military use it in close quarter operations.  hollow points expand on impact, and lossing alot of energy on intial impact, it would have to to go trough at least one thick walls , maybe 2, If I ever have to use my rifle , i will ensure , I engage at an angle where no one can be harmed except the bad guy, and besides, I can shoot until i feel they are no longer a threat, which means they have to be still standing, and they will not have the time to fall by the time i drop the first 5 rounds in em.  There is a reason I do not use my glock unless , its the the only option i have.

'

All they have to have behind them is a window......You cannot "demand that the intruder relocate to a brick wall".     
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #61 on: April 10, 2012, 10:01:41 PM »
No need for a high velocity round, when a double barrel shot gun would do.  Most burglaries around here are daytime, when people are at work.  I remember when I was high school.  We had two night time burglaries in our square mile.  One victim was an ex vet with with some of his marksman certificates in his hallway.  One perp didn't make it out of the hall alive, and the other died in the garage.  One of the perps mother said something like.  I told him their were SOME people that would kill you for just breaking into their house.  Another victim was a dentist, who  I went to school with his kids.  That bugler guy didn't make it out alive either.

I bought this a couple years ago...  It's a Stoeger 12 guage Coach Gun.

I originally bought it thinking that it would be a good defense gun for my wife to use in the event that there was an intruder when I wasn't home.  The thing kicks like a mother though...  She decided that she would rather have the 9mm.  So that's what she practices with, and I have a cool little shot gun for my collection!

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #62 on: April 10, 2012, 10:02:44 PM »
double
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 10:10:23 PM by PFactorDave »

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #63 on: April 10, 2012, 10:55:41 PM »
nothing strikes fear into a robber than hearing a shotgun cycle its round into the camber.  :devil

Nothing lets the criminal know just where you are like a ratcheting riot gun. Don't assume the turd will be scared.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
« Reply #64 on: April 10, 2012, 11:11:39 PM »
I'm like Von, we have a house alarm where they call you when it rings, but I think it's easy to bypass as it's just a door/window open deal, ain't detecting squat if the window is broken. Then we have the two sheperds, and if all else fail the girls have the 45 stashed away.
 :pray
Off course, it's not 100% proof, especially when no one is home and the dogs are in the backyard, but it's prety good to deter the bulk of the bad guys, and I feel prety safe to leave the girls alone. We had a steak of brake ins in the neighborhood, all that happened to us was the dogs going crazy one night. Knock on wood.
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2012, 02:14:12 AM »
cheapest route for security? a dog.

Yeah that's what I thought too.

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,331868.msg4355340.html#msg4355340

Sure didn't work out for me and I have a large, loud, hell raising anytime someone comes to the door, kind of dog, even looks a bit like a freakishly large pitbull.

So many times after hearing her go off, I would chuckle and think "Well, burglary sure isn't something we need to worry about."

I couldn't have been more confident that no one would be brazen enough to try to get past that hellion devil dog, and I couldn't have been more wrong.

I was so confident, I would have felt 100% safe with an unlocked door. (Not that I ever tested that theory.)

For the life of me, I still can't fathom how it happened.

I guess you just should never underestimate what a meth head POS is willing to do to get a few bucks for another half a gram.

Really wish I had invested in window bars rather than trust the false sense of security that dog gave me.

For those who talk about taking on your burglar, it's an enjoyable thought, but sure doesn't help you much after the very weapons you would have used have been stolen when you weren't even there and never had a chance of confronting them.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 02:50:50 AM by jimson »

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2012, 03:05:45 AM »

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,331868.msg4355340.html#msg4355340

Sure didn't work out for me and I have a large, loud, hell raising anytime someone comes to the door, kind of dog, even looks a bit like a freakishly large pitbull.

So many times after hearing her go off, I would chuckle and think "Well, burglary sure isn't something we need to worry about."

I couldn't have been more confident that no one would be brazen enough to try to get past that hellion devil dog, and I couldn't have been more wrong.

I was so confident, I would have felt 100% safe with an unlocked door. (Not that I ever tested that theory.)

I guess you just should never underestimate what a meth head POS is willing to do to get a few bucks for another half a gram.

Really wish I had invested in window bars rather than trust the false sense of security that dog gave me.

For those who talk about taking on your burglar, it's an enjoyable thought, but sure doesn't help you much after the very weapons you would have used have been stolen when you weren't even there and never had a chance of confronting them.

did the dog not attack? 

Offline hawkeyeluke13

• Zinc Member
« Reply #67 on: April 11, 2012, 07:01:06 AM »
I plan to engage any intruder at certain points in my house,, like when they are coming up the stairs, the front door, whcih I already checked to make sure the neighbors would not be in the line of fire, once i have my safety squared away, if i hear them down stairs, iam going to clear it my self, I do not want cops down there, because if you dont know the layout, you can be easily ambushed. And cops would get them selves , because my downstairs is the clear house from hell.

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #68 on: April 11, 2012, 07:26:51 AM »
I bought this a couple years ago...  It's a Stoeger 12 guage Coach Gun.

(Image removed from quote.)

I originally bought it thinking that it would be a good defense gun for my wife to use in the event that there was an intruder when I wasn't home.  The thing kicks like a mother though...  She decided that she would rather have the 9mm.  So that's what she practices with, and I have a cool little shot gun for my collection!

My wife used to carry my ancient S & W .32 long.

Great handgun and wickedly accurate, but she claimed that it took up too much room in her purse.

She likes her new Xmas present much better.  :D

About as big as a n Iphone (except thicker and it only has one app)

Ruger LCP

Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #69 on: April 11, 2012, 08:18:23 AM »

This is not about you, Jim.  It is just a good story to use as an illustration.  :D

Dogs are an excellent deterrent to intruders IF they are trained to do so. 

The simple fact of owning a dog, in and of itself, means little.  Some intruders will be deterred by this, regardless of it's size or how menacing it looks.

Until you've discharged a firearm in the presence of your dog, you will not know how it will react.  Some will be terrified, others aggressive or aggravated.  The desirable response is for them to do nothing.  This is the sign of a well balanced dog.  It is not something that is easily trained, if possible at all.  It is also a major part of the Schuzhund I obedience trials.  All the dogs I have owned have been taken to the range the day after I get them.  If they fail, they go back and I get another one.

Until you have seen your dog take a sleeve, you will never know if it will bite when it needs to or not.

All dogs bark, but if it lacks defensive prey drive or you haven't developed it in your dog, it will bark until the intruder gets into the house and then show the burglar where your valuables are hidden.

Also, if your dog will accept food from just anyone, it will be easily bypassed.

Most house pets just do not make good guard dogs, simply because of the fact that they are a dog.  They must be be shown what belongs to them, trained not to accept food from just anyone, know who and when to bite and the most important: TO OUT (let go) ON COMMAND.  As a guard dog, a timid dog is utterly useless.  An overly aggressive dog is just about as useless, perhaps even more so as they are a liability because they are as likely to attack a house guest or neighbor as they would an intruder.  If you read the fine print on your homeowner's policy, most do not cover your dog biting someone if you own certain breeds of dogs.

Anyone can do it, you just need to know how and have the patience to do it.  Check out this 7 year old girl...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTZmIFdgU2M

Offline 4deck

• Silver Member
      • (+) Precision
« Reply #70 on: April 11, 2012, 08:35:42 AM »
Sorry to hear the news Getback. I hate thieves.
Forgot who said this while trying to take a base, but the quote goes like this. "I cant help you with ack, Im not in attack mode" This is with only 2 ack up in the town while troops were there, waiting. The rest of the town was down.

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #71 on: April 11, 2012, 10:03:43 AM »
did the dog not attack?  

Have no way of knowing what happened. Weren't any blood trails. No visible injury to the dog.

I guess the possibilities are.

1. The dog didn't react at all. Highly unlikely seeing how viscous she acted toward anyone who came near the house.

2. The burglar intimidated her by yelling.

3. They distracted her with food

4. Stun gun, pepper spray.

5. They clubbed her just hard enough to back her away without leaving permanent injury.

6. Ran past her and shut her in the bedroom they broke into.

7. Someone who knows the dog. (This of course was my first thought, I have racked my brain but am convinced that the one person who I would even mildly suspect was capable had nothing to do with it.)

True Von Messa, but the majority of pet owners don't have their animals trained to be an attack or guard dog.

How would you know how your pet would react in these circumstances, unless you hired a stranger to enter your house and report if the dog attacked them?

I have no doubt that my dogs actions would have deterred many, maybe even most would be burglars, but it sure didn't work on this particular one.

All in all I'd rather have window bars and security doors.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #72 on: April 11, 2012, 10:17:49 AM »
My black lab is a retired hunting dog. :)

He's heard his share of guns.

When out with me he is fine around other folks and dogs. When he is in the fence or house he gets territorial.

He was kenneled all his hunting life.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #73 on: April 11, 2012, 10:19:57 AM »
Have no way of knowing what happened. Weren't any blood trails. No visible injury to the dog.

I guess the possibilities are.

1. The dog didn't react at all. Highly unlikely seeing how viscous she acted toward anyone who came near the house.

2. The burglar intimidated her by yelling.

3. They distracted her with food

4. Stun gun, pepper spray.

5. They clubbed her just hard enough to back her away without leaving permanent injury.

6. Ran past her and shut her in the bedroom they broke into.

7. Someone who knows the dog. (This of course was my first thought, I have racked my brain but am convinced that the one person who I would even mildly suspect was capable had nothing to do with it.)

True Von Messa, but the majority of pet owners don't have their animals trained to be an attack or guard dog.

How would you know how your pet would react in these circumstances, unless you hired a stranger to enter your house and report if the dog attacked them?

I have no doubt that my dogs actions would have deterred many, maybe even most would be burglars, but it sure didn't work on this particular one.

All in all I'd rather have window bars and security doors.

Let's just say that I am fairly certain of it  :noid

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #74 on: April 11, 2012, 10:26:36 AM »
All I can say is that my dog was very territorial as well. Other than a dog whom I knew had been professionally trained just for that purpose, I wouldn't have traded her for any other dog as a burglary deterrent.

If people want to rely on a pet or think that they will happen to be home when a burglar strikes, I hope it works for you.

I'm just letting you know it didn't work for me.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 10:28:32 AM by jimson »