Author Topic: House broken into.  (Read 3280 times)

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Re: House broken into.
« Reply #105 on: April 12, 2012, 03:12:14 PM »
Hollow points boys, where live, they will not over penetrate and kill my neighbors, I own a glock 17 , but , i just feel alot better fighting with my AR platform, I would rather use my AR, , and besides, I live in the country so. 

.223 HP will go right through as well.

I hunt a lot with HP ammo and have seen close range results.

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #106 on: April 12, 2012, 06:07:13 PM »
New security system was installed today.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline gusman

• Nickel Member
« Reply #107 on: April 12, 2012, 06:25:16 PM »
Geez Getback never a dull moment huh?
I'm glad you're ok and that TV was prolly obsolete anyway... Good move on the Security system. Its going to take a while but things will return to normal around the house.

:salute
gus

Lt Cdr gus
801 Squadron FAA
Squadron XO

Offline Rich52

• Silver Member
« Reply #108 on: April 12, 2012, 06:36:10 PM »
Here's a question for you dog owners/trainers.  How do these dogs react to invited guests in the house?  Can you welcome someone, even small children outside the family into the house without worrying about the dog attacking?  What if that person stays the night in the house, can they not leave their room during the night over risk of getting attacked?  I ask because I have no experience with well trained dogs.

No matter how well your dog is trained its still an animal. As long as the owner is on the scene there generally isnt any problem. But a neighbor kid going in your yard to fetch a stray baseball? Sure it can be. Ive taken a lot of dog bite reports of kids bit by their own dogs. I dont worry about my dogs but I put them away before a stranger comes in the house, like a repairman. My guys are Lap dogs but they bark at strangers and thats all I ask. Wake me up so's I can get to some iron.

Its just hard to give a general answer cause dogs are individuals. You can train a dog when, and when not, to use his instinct but you cant train him to have, or not have, the same instinct.

I hope every gun owner here is in the NRA. Its our sacred right and only "from our cold dead hands". :salute
Yes, your on "Ignore"

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #109 on: April 12, 2012, 09:15:30 PM »
A little surprised this hasn't been linked to yet in this thread.

http://lybio.net/allstate-mayhem-tv-ad-guard-dog/commercials/

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #110 on: April 12, 2012, 09:43:24 PM »
Geez Getback never a dull moment huh?
I'm glad you're ok and that TV was prolly obsolete anyway... Good move on the Security system. Its going to take a while but things will return to normal around the house.

gus

:lol No it's not dull. However I count my blessings that I'm working again.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #111 on: April 12, 2012, 09:55:03 PM »
I hope every gun owner here is in the NRA. Its our sacred right and only "from our cold dead hands". :salute

It is another discussion, but I would be in the NRA if they didn't have political motivations that went above and beyond privately owned firearms.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #112 on: April 12, 2012, 10:05:06 PM »
It is another discussion, but I would be in the NRA if they didn't have political motivations that went above and beyond privately owned firearms.

My biggest issue with the NRA is that I am a member, expires in September, but I get a Renewal notice in the mail a minimum of every other week.  I'm more then happy to support the NRA, but I really don't think I need to renew 26 times a year.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #113 on: April 12, 2012, 10:53:40 PM »

I can understand that.  One of the biggest thing that bugs me about the NRA is that fear is their man tactic.  For a year now they have been talking about how the government is gonna take our guns, so we have to vote republican!  Not trying to make this thread political, just how I see the NRA.  However, I still believe they do a lot of good behind the scenes work and I'll send my money in for that, I just generally skip the political rabble.

They sent me a DVD once, will a bill.  Nope, sorry, I'm not going to pay for something I didn't ask for. 
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #114 on: April 13, 2012, 09:10:09 AM »
I can understand that.  One of the biggest thing that bugs me about the NRA is that fear is their man tactic.  For a year now they have been talking about how the government is gonna take our guns, so we have to vote republican!  Not trying to make this thread political, just how I see the NRA.  However, I still believe they do a lot of good behind the scenes work and I'll send my money in for that, I just generally skip the political rabble.

They sent me a DVD once, will a bill.  Nope, sorry, I'm not going to pay for something I didn't ask for.  

The NRA supports Democrats as well as Republicans as long as they believe in the Constitution. They rate their voting records and some republicans are rated F (poor). Some Democrats support Gun Rights (rated A) but are very liberal on social issues. The NRA has been for the American Shooters since well before WW2 and have helped greatly in making our troops some of the best Marksmen on the Planet.
    Without them we would be like England where they confiscate your guns and leave you at the mercy of the lawless.

NRA life Member  
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 09:12:43 AM by Slate »
I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #115 on: April 13, 2012, 09:19:58 AM »
Here's a question for you dog owners/trainers.  How do these dogs react to invited guests in the house?  Can you welcome someone, even small children outside the family into the house without worrying about the dog attacking?  What if that person stays the night in the house, can they not leave their room during the night over risk of getting attacked?  I ask because I have no experience with well trained dogs.

I speak only for myself.

I would never keep for a pet a dog that was being trained for K-9 work as they are, for the most part, very "hard" dogs.  By this I mean that they are trained to be as tough as possible, not necessarily overly aggressive, but ballsy enough to handle the job that they are tasked for which leads them to ultimately not "play well with others".  It is a shame though, as most are hard to place in homes once they "retire" because of how highly driven they are.

I prefer my dogs well balanced.  Training in Schutzhund work is for the trials.  The Schutzhund trails are a breed suitability test for the German Shepherd Dog.  It's original use was to see if the dog displayed the appropriate traits and characteristics of a proper working German Shepherd Dog such as: trainability, high drive or desire to work, courage, protective instinct, intelligence and a strong bond with the handler.  Most dogs that pass the Schutzhund trials are suitable for search/rescue work and/or police work and are suitable for breeding the next generation of working dogs.

I do not have any desire for unsolicited aggressiveness in my dogs.  I can take my dog anywhere, sans leash, without fear of it hurting anyone or leaving my side.   I can welcome anyone that I please into my house to visit or spend the night and my dog is just fine with them, especially children.   The only time I ever had an issue is when we had guests with a child that was misbehaving and (deservedly) got a spanking.  The dog insinuated itself between the parents and the child, yet was still not aggressive.  She barked once and lay down between the child and parents.  It was almost comical.
My dogs have never been animal aggressive, either.  If you train a dog to be confident in it's abilities and strengths, most of the time they are completely calm because they know that they are able to handle any situation required of them.  While all of my neighbors' dogs are raising holy hell and carrying on, mine is as quiet as a mouse.

A well balanced and confident dog will "know" when there is something amiss.  They can hear, smell and sense things that we can only read about.  My dogs have always "worked" for me because of their love to do so.  It is their nature and in their genetics.  I have never had to be mean towards, punish my dogs or force them to learn what I require of them.  They do it because I develop and focus their natural drives.

The idea of a protection dog is not to make them as mean as possible (which usually results in them being unpredictable) but to make them balanced and confident that they can protect you and yours.

Again, anyone can do it.  Even a 7 year old girl :)
(notice how aloof the dog is to all of the distractions and how it alerts to the agitator but does not bite until he moves)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sn3VghnNEpc
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #116 on: April 13, 2012, 09:33:44 AM »
My biggest issue with the NRA is that I am a member, expires in September, but I get a Renewal notice in the mail a minimum of every other week.  I'm more then happy to support the NRA, but I really don't think I need to renew 26 times a year.

Yes I think their membership division has issues. lol
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #117 on: April 13, 2012, 09:37:20 AM »
My dogs have never been animal aggressive, either.  If you train a dog to be confident in it's abilities and strengths, most of the time they are completely calm because they know that they are able to handle any situation required of them.  While all of my neighbors' dogs are raising holy hell and carrying on, mine is as quiet as a mouse.

A well balanced and confident dog will "know" when there is something amiss.  They can hear, smell and sense things that we can only read about.  My dogs have always "worked" for me because of their love to do so.  It is their nature and in their genetics.  I have never had to be mean towards, punish my dogs or force them to learn what I require of them.  They do it because I develop and focus their natural drives.

(notice how aloof the dog is to all of the distractions and how it alerts to the agitator but does not bite until he moves)

What drives me nuts is those that will get a Dog without training it.  :furious
      Like you my dog is quiet while my neighbor's dogs yap all day long.
   I can have Kids over and place their chicken nuggets on the floor and My dog will not touch it even if we leave the room. He has been properly trained. Not so for My brothers dog who would steal food from the table or counter.

OH and Impressive Video now thats a very well trained Dog.  :aok
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 09:45:18 AM by Slate »
I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #118 on: April 13, 2012, 02:08:42 PM »
I speak only for myself.

I would never keep for a pet a dog that was being trained for K-9 work as they are, for the most part, very "hard" dogs.  By this I mean that they are trained to be as tough as possible, not necessarily overly aggressive, but ballsy enough to handle the job that they are tasked for which leads them to ultimately not "play well with others".  It is a shame though, as most are hard to place in homes once they "retire" because of how highly driven they are.

I prefer my dogs well balanced.  Training in Schutzhund work is for the trials.  The Schutzhund trails are a breed suitability test for the German Shepherd Dog.  It's original use was to see if the dog displayed the appropriate traits and characteristics of a proper working German Shepherd Dog such as: trainability, high drive or desire to work, courage, protective instinct, intelligence and a strong bond with the handler.  Most dogs that pass the Schutzhund trials are suitable for search/rescue work and/or police work and are suitable for breeding the next generation of working dogs.

I do not have any desire for unsolicited aggressiveness in my dogs.  I can take my dog anywhere, sans leash, without fear of it hurting anyone or leaving my side.   I can welcome anyone that I please into my house to visit or spend the night and my dog is just fine with them, especially children.   The only time I ever had an issue is when we had guests with a child that was misbehaving and (deservedly) got a spanking.  The dog insinuated itself between the parents and the child, yet was still not aggressive.  She barked once and lay down between the child and parents.  It was almost comical.

The idea of a protection dog is not to make them as mean as possible (which usually results in them being unpredictable) but to make them balanced and confident that they can protect you and yours.

Again, anyone can do it.  Even a 7 year old girl :)

Geeze Von,I'd almost think you know a thing or 2 about dogs! :aok

People must realize there's a difference between a gaurd dog and a personal protection dog,first most gaurd dogs can be just about any big ole mean nasty territorial dog.I even saw an Afgan hound that was a junkyard gaurd,didnt look all pretty for the show ring but he'd tear you up in a second. This kind of dog isnt a pet and shouldnt be a pet.

A well trained and confident PP dog is something to see,they are no different than any well trained dog until it's time to go to work. I've only had 1 dog trained in this manner and she mamaged to trap a police officer in our resturant.Dad forgot to lock the door and the cop went in to check on things and well rather than shoot the dog he locked himself in the washroom! :D

His partner came to the house and woke Dad and asked if he could help his buddy out of the place,my Dad said"he's not in there with the dog is he"? Well I'll have to get my kid as he's the only one who can call the dog off!

So I rescued the cop and all he could say was"Damn fine dog you have there,if I hadnt heard her nails on the floor she would have got me"!

This same dog was just a overgrown puppy when she wasnt working,when she went to work I put a "work collar" on her and she knew what it meant.

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #119 on: April 13, 2012, 04:35:51 PM »
This. The endless flow of junk mail and hyperbole made me not renew my membership about 15 years ago. Guess what? Nobody has come to take my guns away in those 15 years. Meanwhile Wayne LaPierre is still making $1 Million a year telling you they will. If I made $1 Million a year off donations, I'd be telling you to send me more money, too.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.