Author Topic: House broken into.  (Read 3269 times)

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
Re: House broken into.
« Reply #120 on: April 13, 2012, 04:43:04 PM »
I speak only for myself.

I would never keep for a pet a dog that was being trained for K-9 work as they are, for the most part, very "hard" dogs.  By this I mean that they are trained to be as tough as possible, not necessarily overly aggressive, but ballsy enough to handle the job that they are tasked for which leads them to ultimately not "play well with others".  It is a shame though, as most are hard to place in homes once they "retire" because of how highly driven they are.

I prefer my dogs well balanced.  Training in Schutzhund work is for the trials.  The Schutzhund trails are a breed suitability test for the German Shepherd Dog.  It's original use was to see if the dog displayed the appropriate traits and characteristics of a proper working German Shepherd Dog such as: trainability, high drive or desire to work, courage, protective instinct, intelligence and a strong bond with the handler.  Most dogs that pass the Schutzhund trials are suitable for search/rescue work and/or police work and are suitable for breeding the next generation of working dogs.

I do not have any desire for unsolicited aggressiveness in my dogs.  I can take my dog anywhere, sans leash, without fear of it hurting anyone or leaving my side.   I can welcome anyone that I please into my house to visit or spend the night and my dog is just fine with them, especially children.   The only time I ever had an issue is when we had guests with a child that was misbehaving and (deservedly) got a spanking.  The dog insinuated itself between the parents and the child, yet was still not aggressive.  She barked once and lay down between the child and parents.  It was almost comical.
My dogs have never been animal aggressive, either.  If you train a dog to be confident in it's abilities and strengths, most of the time they are completely calm because they know that they are able to handle any situation required of them.  While all of my neighbors' dogs are raising holy hell and carrying on, mine is as quiet as a mouse.

A well balanced and confident dog will "know" when there is something amiss.  They can hear, smell and sense things that we can only read about.  My dogs have always "worked" for me because of their love to do so.  It is their nature and in their genetics.  I have never had to be mean towards, punish my dogs or force them to learn what I require of them.  They do it because I develop and focus their natural drives.

The idea of a protection dog is not to make them as mean as possible (which usually results in them being unpredictable) but to make them balanced and confident that they can protect you and yours.

Again, anyone can do it.  Even a 7 year old girl :)
(notice how aloof the dog is to all of the distractions and how it alerts to the agitator but does not bite until he moves)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sn3VghnNEpc

Was just gonna ask you if your dog was Schutzhund trained.......saved me the time  :D
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 04:45:13 PM by mbailey »
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #121 on: April 14, 2012, 01:36:28 AM »
My take on all this: Unless you have the ability or resources to train or have your dog trained to protect your property, do not assume that your simple pet will do the job and add other layers of protection.

There was a point where the NRA became almost a liability to gun owners.
I believe they have returned to better place now and that if not for their past efforts, I am certain that more of our firearms freedoms would have been compromised.

I am not currently a member because I began to find them as annoying as many here have, but if the time should come when I think those freedoms are under attack as heavily as they once were, I may rejoin so they can have the resources to fight once again.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #122 on: April 14, 2012, 02:48:38 PM »

Geeze Von,I'd almost think you know a thing or 2 about dogs! :aok

People must realize there's a difference between a gaurd dog and a personal protection dog,first most gaurd dogs can be just about any big ole mean nasty territorial dog.I even saw an Afgan hound that was a junkyard gaurd,didnt look all pretty for the show ring but he'd tear you up in a second. This kind of dog isnt a pet and shouldnt be a pet.

A well trained and confident PP dog is something to see,they are no different than any well trained dog until it's time to go to work. I've only had 1 dog trained in this manner and she mamaged to trap a police officer in our resturant.Dad forgot to lock the door and the cop went in to check on things and well rather than shoot the dog he locked himself in the washroom! :D

His partner came to the house and woke Dad and asked if he could help his buddy out of the place,my Dad said"he's not in there with the dog is he"? Well I'll have to get my kid as he's the only one who can call the dog off!

So I rescued the cop and all he could say was"Damn fine dog you have there,if I hadnt heard her nails on the floor she would have got me"!

This same dog was just a overgrown puppy when she wasnt working,when she went to work I put a "work collar" on her and she knew what it meant.

:salute

thats awesome :aok

reminds me of my Dog Juma, he was half Black Lab and half am-staff, I am no professional trainer, but I can train my dogs pretty good....

a neighbor wanted to bring some sandwiches over to the house one day, I sometimes let Juma outside we had 3 acres he loved it and stayed by the house most times, he was about 8 months old when this happened, so the guy walks down our yard and here comes Juma from around the house, he was a very dark brindle, big.... about 80lbs....the guys says Juma came from around the house and stopped he just stared at him with out barking...the guy takes a few more steps, Juma takes a few steps towards him.....he stops..... the dog stops....he steps forward again...the dog steps forward.....he turns and goes home :rofl

says to me later...that's quite a dog you got there, never even growled at me...just stared dead in my eyes.

Juma was a great dog Ill miss him forever.

Offline TheAssi

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #123 on: April 15, 2012, 08:46:17 PM »
I still think that a light outside, a broom, and a good hiding space is all you need.  It's the English way.

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #124 on: April 15, 2012, 09:25:25 PM »
I still think that a light outside, a broom, and a good hiding space is all you need.  It's the English way.

Might be the English way,but we Canuk's prefer a hockey stick to a broom.If there's a broom around we just end up curling!

:salute

Offline 4Prop

• Nickel Member
« Reply #125 on: April 16, 2012, 12:19:02 AM »
im pretty sure no one will be breaking into my house any time soon. I'm in my front yard shooting multiple caliber guns every day. if that doesn't deter them maybe the dog will. if they do get in my house has fatal funnels pretty much everywhere. and anything worth taking is upstairs in my room anyways.

my advice for the OP is a good .45. one shot to the hand will blow the whole arm off. imagine a center mass shot.

to the .223 discussion..not to get into much detail but ive used 5.56 up against real flesh and blood in houses before. but the difference between your house and theirs is, theres are made from brick and sand. If you know how to use it up close with HPs i wouldnt worry to much about over penetration.

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #126 on: April 16, 2012, 07:38:08 AM »
thats awesome :aok

reminds me of my Dog Juma, he was half Black Lab and half am-staff, I am no professional trainer, but I can train my dogs pretty good....

a neighbor wanted to bring some sandwiches over to the house one day, I sometimes let Juma outside we had 3 acres he loved it and stayed by the house most times, he was about 8 months old when this happened, so the guy walks down our yard and here comes Juma from around the house, he was a very dark brindle, big.... about 80lbs....the guys says Juma came from around the house and stopped he just stared at him with out barking...the guy takes a few more steps, Juma takes a few steps towards him.....he stops..... the dog stops....he steps forward again...the dog steps forward.....he turns and goes home :rofl

says to me later...that's quite a dog you got there, never even growled at me...just stared dead in my eyes.

Juma was a great dog Ill miss him forever.

Dogs that growl are very unpredictable.
Dogs growl because of uncertainty and lack of confidence in their ability to remove you as a threat
Dogs that bark are giving a clear warning. "I do not approve of your presence"
Dogs that are calm and watch you do not deem you as a threat and, if you become one, are confident that they will have no problem handling it.
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #127 on: April 16, 2012, 10:33:52 AM »

my advice for the OP is a good .45. one shot to the hand will blow the whole arm off. imagine a center mass shot.

Hello.  Back to the real world.  A shot to the hand will leave a .45 caliber hole in the hand, arm will be intact.  Have seen more than one gunshot wound in person.  Even saw one guy shot thru a finger (9mm) -- hole thru finger, rest of finger intact.
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline Lab Rat 3947

• Silver Member
« Reply #128 on: April 17, 2012, 03:13:19 AM »
Berretta 92FS, Federal Premium 135 Grain Hydra-Shok    :old:
I live in Arizona; Castle Law.
This is also my carry.
Most of the time its in plain sight, cross draw, tactical, Fobos BR-2.
Sometimes concealed.    :old:
LtngRydr
14th FG Grounded

80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #129 on: April 17, 2012, 06:58:56 AM »
Hello.  Back to the real world.  A shot to the hand will leave a .45 caliber hole in the hand, arm will be intact.  Have seen more than one gunshot wound in person.  Even saw one guy shot thru a finger (9mm) -- hole thru finger, rest of finger intact.

True, a .45 can knock someone down or spin them around pretty well if you hit them in the hand, but I would have no expectations of it taking someone's arm off.  That is a bit of a foray into the fantastic.  Besides, who aims for the hand?   :D
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #130 on: April 17, 2012, 11:47:01 AM »
True, a .45 can knock someone down or spin them around pretty well if you hit them in the hand, but I would have no expectations of it taking someone's arm off.  That is a bit of a foray into the fantastic.  Besides, who aims for the hand?   :D

Don't forget Mr. Newton.  If it knocks down the target it will knock down the shooter as well.

FYI:  My  handgun is a .45  -- it is my choice for handgun defensive rounds.
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline 4Prop

• Nickel Member
« Reply #131 on: April 17, 2012, 08:03:24 PM »
very funny..my mothers house was broken into last night. I'm gonna go stay a few days over there and pray he breaks in again

Offline 4Prop

• Nickel Member
« Reply #132 on: April 17, 2012, 08:05:16 PM »

its a joke from Steven Speilburg's "The Pacific"

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #133 on: April 18, 2012, 01:19:58 PM »
Dogs that growl are very unpredictable.
Dogs growl because of uncertainty and lack of confidence in their ability to remove you as a threat
Dogs that bark are giving a clear warning. "I do not approve of your presence"
Dogs that are calm and watch you do not deem you as a threat and, if you become one, are confident that they will have no problem handling it.

dead on :aok