Author Topic: What constitutes a "horde"?  (Read 1434 times)

Offline Wofat

• Zinc Member
Re: What constitutes a "horde"?
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2012, 08:18:00 AM »
Hoard = great opportunity to kill red guys!  :O

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2012, 08:36:10 AM »
My personal problem with certain hordes is when they just disappear after flattening it.....or they come NOE and drop it....or they bring 50 planes.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2012, 08:44:53 AM »
The game is not about WAR, tho winning the war is one of the many options available during game play/ The game is about combat, the war is there to give combat a place to happen. GV's promote the the same thing, another way to create combat be it in battle against other GVs, of being fighters in to attack the people bombing the GVs. The game is all about combat.

As for the horde, more often than not I see it explained, and complained about as a large group the completely flattens a base in minutes capturing said base and then disappearing to pop up at some other undefended base to do the same thing over and over and over again. The problem with hordes is they avoid the main purpose of the game, they avoid combat. Either by attacking in stealth mode (NOE), or with such over whelming numbers that they couldn't possible be stopped even should people try to defend. Years ago people use to try to stop/slow the hordes, now adays, they just avoid them and let them roll base after base. Instead they join their own hordes avoiding the enemy hordes and race to see who can capture more bases faster.
This a nearly perfect description of a horde. Its not so much that players fly in large groups as much as those large groups tend to avoid anything resembling a conflict.
"When caught by the enemy in large force the best policy is to fight like hell until you can decide what to do next."
~Hub Zemke
P-47 pilot 56th Fighter Group.

Offline TylerMac

• Zinc Member
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2012, 09:34:34 AM »
I am under the impression that the main arena is a 3-way war, the objective of which is to capture enemy bases while defending your own.  To attempt to ostracize effectively accomplishing this mission (again, within the overall intent of a realistic simulation of period vehicles) seems absurd to me.

:aok
Card carrying member of Flak's Lawn Dart Club

***Alchemists***

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2012, 09:38:14 AM »
Two of the sides that start with a R and N say that more than 1 B is a horde while their sides 20-50 is a well planed mission :salute

We have a side that starts with an N??
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2012, 11:02:01 AM »

Ignore them all, find your own fun, go do that.  And be nice, that's fun too.

Well Said.
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2012, 11:24:41 AM »
We have a side that starts with an N??

Ya, Nit....
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline MarineUS

• Gold Member
      • Imperial Legion
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2012, 11:33:00 AM »
This is a game/simulator.

If the enemy has the upper-hand, they brought a horde, they're pickers etc.
Like, ya know, when that thing that makes you move, it has pistons and things, When your thingamajigy is providing power, you do not hear other peoples thingamajig when they are providing power.

HiTech

Offline ttflier

• Copper Member
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2012, 12:28:15 PM »
"The game is all about combat" is only one person's narrow opinion.  Hitech created an environment that allows a population of gamers to fly, fight, bomb, gv, gun, and interact.  The population then determines through this interaction what the game "is all about".

Obviously the population of late has decided that game play is about large numbers working together and doing "stuff" (commonly referred to as hoarding).  This seems to be what the population in general prefers. If this is not something that you as an individual prefers - interact to change it, find a way to have fun and live with it or leave if it is too much to endure. Pretty simple logic.

I myself have been in the game for only about 5 years and have noticed only a slight trending towards the hoarding (seems like the NOE hoards were popular when I started).  And like most, I have my opinions for what the game needs (more strategic targets), how it should be changed (fix ENY) and what I like (the camaraderie with all my friends in the game). 

I also recognize that in a dynamic such as this, small changes to the environment can sometimes have a great impact on game play for the general population, either good or bad - I applaud Hitech's skill and restraint at not over-reacting to the opinion of the whiners!

And most importantly - IT"S A CARTOON GAME FOR GOSH SAKES!

Tree Top Flier (ttflier)

http://www.91stbombgroup.net

"Bush league pilots just can't get the job done" lyrics by Stephen Stills

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2012, 12:48:04 PM »
I did laugh yesterday when I was asked what we should do next and I suggested a re-supply run to get one of our fields ords back.

4 of us were driving along in our M3's whistling dixie  when one of Chuwie's missions came over a hill with 5 sets of NOE lancs + 110's   

we were like  :x  :O   

Ditch the m3's and up LA's 50% fuel.   Went through them like a sharp knife.  Town and base got flattened but for some reason they had no Goons in the mission and we killed what we could.   A very strange 30 mins but fun none the less  and I thank chuwie for putting that stuff together.
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2012, 01:32:39 PM »
I did laugh yesterday when I was asked what we should do next and I suggested a re-supply run to get one of our fields ords back.

4 of us were driving along in our M3's whistling dixie  when one of Chuwie's missions came over a hill with 5 sets of NOE lancs + 110's   

we were like  :x  :O   

Ditch the m3's and up LA's 50% fuel.   Went through them like a sharp knife.  Town and base got flattened but for some reason they had no Goons in the mission and we killed what we could.   A very strange 30 mins but fun none the less  and I thank chuwie for putting that stuff together.

Stumbling into an NOE raid is one of my favorite things.
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2012, 01:47:30 PM »
Not even a month back I saw a large group of red dots almost to one of our bases. I quickly plied the alert and upped in my 38. What do I see? About 20 or so storches coming in. lol priceless. If I remember right I only shot a few I was laughing so hard.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline tunnelrat

• Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2012, 08:17:55 AM »
"The game is all about combat" is only one person's narrow opinion. 

:headscratch:
In-Game: 80hd
The Spartans do not enquire how many the enemy are but where they are.

Offline MAINER

• Nickel Member
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2012, 08:27:46 AM »
I didn't know you couldn't say bomb****
Are those our bombers?-famous last words

Member of the congregation of The church of David Wales

Offline Ump40

• Zinc Member
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2012, 08:36:09 AM »
Not even a month back I saw a large group of red dots almost to one of our bases. I quickly plied the alert and upped in my 38. What do I see? About 20 or so storches coming in. lol priceless. If I remember right I only shot a few I was laughing so hard.

......and back and forth the battle raged the mighty storch and the 38 twisting and turning, each clawing for the advantage...untill an emty margarita glass carelessly thrown from the 38 struck my windscreen, PW'ing me of course. (sigh) Ill get you next time Shuffles!...<SALUTE>
Fortune favours the bold!