Author Topic: Need Trainer or Anyone Willing To Help  (Read 1269 times)

Offline shockyb

• Zinc Member
Need Trainer or Anyone Willing To Help
« on: April 19, 2012, 08:07:11 PM »
Hello,

I have been trying to find a trainer and haven't had ANY luck can someone point me in the right direction.  I have tried posting in chat and haven't had any luck.  I'm sooo tired of being shot down, diving on a lower target and not hitting anything but the ground and being between 200 - 600 yards behind someone only to empty the cannon with minimal hits only to have him somehow get behind me and send me to a fiery death. I'm a full scale pilot, i work in the aviation engineering industry, and i fly RC airplanes, .40/.60/.90 size so i understand the concepts of flight.  I got the maneuvers down for the most part, i understand "E" and i understand what it means to unload the plane to shoot.  problem is when i Unload I'm usually to high, to low, to far right or to far left.  i try to compensate for the unload by over exaggerating my aim point but when I let off the stick I'm ALWAYS off one way or the other.  Ive adjusted my joystick "throws" on my elevator and rudder so that when I'm in the   0-20 percent range of defection my scaling is very low to allow for fine tuning but that's not working either.  I know some of you have been playing for years but it shouldn't take a person this long to grasp SOME skill.  I cant tell you how many times i have been in offline training, matched my speed to the bogey and was 200-400 yards behind the circling aircraft and still darn near emptied a full load of bullets and barely got a kill.  I need help lol.. If anyone is willing to share some strats, show me how to do a good break, or log on and teach me how to fly and shoot these planes please post up and ill get back asap. You don't have to be an instructor most of you on here are pretty damn good anyway so ill willing to learn from anyone. I love the game I just cant seem to play it worth a damn..   Thanks a lot  :airplane:

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
Re: Need Trainer or Anyone Willing To Help
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 09:03:16 PM »
You've come to the right place. I'm sure a trainer will see your post directly. A few of them usually hang out in the Training Arena every night on the Bishops side. They're very patient and good at explaining things.  
I'd be more then willing to help you out, but there are tons of guys around here more qualified for that then me. I am curious about what you have your guns converged at. A good all around set-up is 400 in my opinion. Also wondering if the nose of your plane is bouncing around when you fire.
Anyway a good place to start is here: http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/ and here:
http://www.netaces.org/

In the AcesHigh training link, pay close attention to the "controller setup and calibration" section as well as the convergence section.
Also lots of good info about basic flight maneuvers in both those links above.  :salute

« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 09:21:17 PM by uptown »
Lighten up Francis

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 09:23:59 PM »
Shockyb,

As Uptown said this is the right place to start,look through some of the information that's available in the forum and that can go a long way to helping you ac hive your goal.

Most the trainers post in this forum and you can always send a "pm" to anyone of them to arrange a day and time for some 1 on 1. Also as Uptown said try the training arena,I'm in there most nights and generally help and answer questions as needed.

If you choose to pm a trainer it's best to include time zone in order for us to find a good fit,we're all volunteers so please have some patience as I'm sure some of the other trainers will pop in here to help out.

I generally can be found in the TA between 9pm and 11 pm est most nights.

:salute

Offline shockyb

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 11:14:10 PM »
@ Uptown  My convergence is set at 400 and I fly the Jug M model for air to air.  My nose does bounce around a lot and by the time i stabilize it the other airplane has changed attitude.  by that time i get frustrated and lose all E trying to pull tight turns to get my nose ahead of his and next thing you know. Mayday mayday mayday... lol  i have set my dead zone at numerous different settings along with the deadband and still seem to over or under compensate.  i cant even get lined up with a guy coming head on with me some how i end up to one side or the other and usually die or take one right in the oil cooler. My flight equipment consists of rudder pedals ( i prefer them to using the yaw on the joystick and a cyborgX joystick.

@ Mortified I'm heading to the training area right now to see if you are available Callsign Shrapnel.  I also am on Pacific Time so usually anytime after 6:30 until midnight is good for me.

Offline shockyb

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 11:20:05 PM »
Just came out of training area Crickets chirping in there thats about it.  feel free to email me and ill do whatever i can to arrange some training time..  Thanks

Offline 4Prop

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 12:08:15 AM »
yay another jug driver. well if I was active I would gladly show you a few things, but importunately i cant.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 12:31:15 AM »
Quick question.  Do you use zoom while firing?  It can help a lot but don't zoom in all the way.  Hit alt-z for default zoom levels.  That seems to work pretty well and map a zoom toggle to one of your joystick buttons.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline shockyb

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 01:31:18 AM »
Quick question.  Do you use zoom while firing?  It can help a lot but don't zoom in all the way.  Hit alt-z for default zoom levels.  That seems to work pretty well and map a zoom toggle to one of your joystick buttons.

when im behind someone i use the "Z" button and it zooms pretty close.. I tried the shift z, control z, and alt z none of those work. just the Z button works

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 02:05:39 AM »
You do realise that since time and space are intimately connected that shooting at where an aircraft is means that by the time the bullets arrive he will no longer be there? Here, read these and watch the video:-

Useful YouTube video based on Bag the Hun:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsIz2bIBLwM

The German equivalent:-

Sounds like you also need to dampen your joystick. This is on the left side of the advanced settings in controllers if I remember correctly. I'm sure some kind soul would be willing to share a screenshot.

Regarding the TA, what timezone do you fly on? It's a good place to hang round even without trainers present. I'm on CET and I mostly never see a trainer there until evening.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 02:11:20 AM by nrshida »
”It's a shame that he's gone, but the shame is entirely his”
HiTech 2 - Skyyr 0

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 04:16:22 AM »
Damping the joystick is helpful for bad pots that spike but I wouldn't use damping if you can avoid it because it makes the response mushy. Default scaling for pitch is likely more useful.

Bag the Hun is a very useful manual.

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2012, 08:01:01 AM »
The 47s are really heavy planes and real easy to lose E in if ya aren't careful. I good rule of thumb I think for starting out in a BnZ plane like that is to practice keeping it at 250 IAS and above when within icon range of a con and fight mostly up and down avoiding too many E burning turns. Internal fuel @ no more then 50%. I take drop tanks to use until I acquire a target. 

I trying to aim for the pilot seat or wing roots giving them short bursts until I know I'm no target...then unload. Also, not to discourge you from the P47s as they are awesome planes, I'd suggest you take the Niki for a spin. 900 rounds of 20mm cannon rounds, fairly fast, light, and turns well. I think it's a great plane to learn gunnery in as it will often get you a kill with minimal round hits compared to the .50 cals.
Lighten up Francis

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2012, 01:31:39 PM »
Im not much of a Trainer right now, but I can at least show you the basics of ACM and shooting. If nothing else, I am a pretty target.

The key to gunnery is the lead you need to pull. And trust me, if you think you pull enough ahead, double the lead and then you'll hit :).
Theres an easy, albeit slightly boring way to practice your "gun eye" - pick on the drones in offline mode, using the "lead computed gunsight" - it will show you a crosshair where to put your gun pipper to hit at any given time. In offline mode, you will have to turn it on in the Arena Settings first. For that, you open your clipboard -> Options -> Arena Setup-> Enviroment -> Arena Settings.... then you get a list of weird "parameters". Go find FlightModeFlags and check the box for the lead computed gunsight. Hit OK. Now you can "mark" a target with your TAB key and should get the green LCG. On a side note, the LCG works in the TA for friendlies, you just have to enable friendly lock but switching it on with CTRL_TAB, then you can lock targets with TAB same as offline.

Another tip for gunnery. The heavier your bullets, the more they drop, the more lead you need to pull. Start with Cal50 MGs... they do reasonable damage, while being lighter then canon rounds. Also, dont try to shoot canon at the same time as MGs (like on the Spits for example).... due to much different ballistics, they only hit target at the same spot under very special convergence and distance settings. For some advanced thoughts on convergence and gunnery, try http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/ or http://www.slowcat.de/slowcats1/AHTC/Convergence.pdf.
21 is only half the truth.

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2012, 05:02:34 PM »
Gratuitous advice from somebody from the lower tier of skill:  Try a plane that keeps E better, has cannons, reasonable speed, good climb and is not snotty like the spitfires.  Fly the 205.  If I can shoot things down in it anybody can.  Doesn't run out of bullets.  Avoid the spitfires they are the nemesis.  Another thing: take any cannon plane,(ok a spit16,) and knock down ack at a base out of the way, they are static targets but it helps with your aim and maneuvering as your changing speed and turning a lot, also the fact that you can get shot up helps you take it seriously, (well sort of.)
Pies not kicks.

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2012, 05:27:01 PM »
Just came out of training area Crickets chirping in there thats about it.  feel free to email me and ill do whatever i can to arrange some training time..  Thanks

Ya sorry about that i'd logged off because no one was around and it was getting late here!

Since you're west coast and I'm east,you'll have to show up around 6:30,7 O'clock your time. Fridays I'm usually in the TA warming up for FSO so be sure to check in before 9pm your time. Then we can setup a day and time that will work for the both of us and get you sorted out.

Hope to see you soon!

:salute

PS: heya Schatzi,once a trainer always a trainer. :aok

Offline shockyb

• Zinc Member
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2012, 05:54:35 PM »
Wow Very good reading and informative video.. I have learned that i am grossly undershooting on most targets.  thanks for the info i think it is another notch in the belt of understanding  :aok

You do realise that since time and space are intimately connected that shooting at where an aircraft is means that by the time the bullets arrive he will no longer be there? Here, read these and watch the video:-

Useful YouTube video based on Bag the Hun:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsIz2bIBLwM

The German equivalent:-

Sounds like you also need to dampen your joystick. This is on the left side of the advanced settings in controllers if I remember correctly. I'm sure some kind soul would be willing to share a screenshot.

Regarding the TA, what timezone do you fly on? It's a good place to hang round even without trainers present. I'm on CET and I mostly never see a trainer there until evening.