Author Topic: This Friday 4-26  (Read 2927 times)

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
This Friday 4-26
« on: April 25, 2012, 10:02:55 AM »

Race for the Valley - Sept. 41 to Apr. 1943
A Four Tier Event
Twinrivr terrain

As the Italian forces stumbled and faltered in North Africa, the German Afrika Korps arrived on the scene and quickly turned the tide of the war in the Axis favor. Rommel had made huge gains, but resistance in the latter part of 1941 started pressing the German advance.

In this remote sector of the North African desert, a race is underway to control a valley along the northern border of Algeria and Libya. This area has been contested since the first German push across Libya in early 1941, and the Allied counterattack at the end of the year. Even in modern times, armies cannot move far from water sources. This valley is vital, as two rivers run right through the middle, making this piece of land prime real estate.

This scenario will have a rolling plane set.

The first day will represent battles of 1941-early 42,  highlighting the matchup between the Hurricane Mk1 and the BF-109E.

The next 2 days will represent the opening battles of Mid-1942, when Spitfire Mk. Vs and Messerschmitt Bf-109Fs fought for supremacy of the air.

The following two days will depict the bitter struggle of Late-1942, as both sides fought a war not only against each other, but against the rough desert terrain and conditions. Although newer aircraft are arriving every day, neither side is gaining the advantage.

The final two days will mark the end of 1942 and the beginning of 1943, the arrival of US forces, and the last tenacious battles before the Afrika Korps is pushed out of North Africa.

Objectives - There are neutral bases in the valley. Capture these bases to control the valley. As time progresses, newer aircraft models will become available. Only ground vehicle troops will be enabled. There are bridges crossing these two tributaries, they must be held to allow your forces to advance, or destroyed to prevent your enemies from crossing.  Only certain bases in the valley will have troops, therefore the bridges will remain vital to deploy troops into the Valley.

Icon range is 2.4k.
Noe radar height is 200
Ack lethality 25%
All other standard AvA parameters apply.

Bishops - Axis
Knights - Allies

Phase One: JG27 is flying the venerable Bf-109E, and having a good scrap against the 112 Squadron Hurricanes, and American Lend Lease P-40Cs. Both sides are supported by various strike aircraft - Bostons and Hurricane IId aircraft for the Allies, and Ju-87 and Ju-88 aircraft for the Axis.

Phase Two: JG77 has just received new Bf-109Fs, and the RAF is forced to move its Spitfires from 145 Squadron and 601 Squadron to the area.

Phase Three: As the German Gruppen are starting to re-equip with the Bf-109G-2, RAF units are starting to replace their losses with Spitfire VIIIs, including several American squadrons. In addition, the Regia Aeronautica has re-entered the campaign with new Macchi 202 Folgore fighters. The Allies strengthen their air forces with the addition of Lend Lease American P-40Es and North American B-25 Mitchell bombers.

Phase Four: In a last desperate push, the Germans send their newest aircraft, the Bf-109G-6 and Fw-190A-5. In addition, the Italians send 2 squadrons of Macchi 205 Veltro fighters to the front. The Allies not only counter, but double-down on the Axis. The Allied Operation Torch has provided US built P-38Gs, and F4F-4 Wildcat fighters to counter the Germans, while the RAF brings in their latest fighter, the Spitfire Mk. IX. The last push also sees the combat debut of the Douglas A-20 Havoc, a high-speed medium bomber well suited for tactical operations against both enemy armor and bases.

Round I aircraft
Allied:
Hurricane I and IId
P-40C
Boston

Axis:
109E-4
110C-4
Ju-87D
Ju-88A-4
I-16 (sub for MC-200) no cannon

Round II aircraft
Hurricane I and IId
P-40B
Boston
Spitfire Vb

109E-4
110C-4
Ju-87D
Ju-88A-4
Bf-109F-4

Round III Aircraft - add the following to Tier I
Spitfire Vb
P-39D
P-40E
B-25C
Spitfire VIII

109F-4
Mc.202
110G
Bf-109G-2

Round IV Aircraft - add to Tier II
Spitfire VIII
A-20G
F4F-4 (Torch Landings)
P-38G
Spitfire IX

add to Tier II
Bf-109G-2
Mc.205
Bf-109G-6
Fw-190A-5

Ground vehicles (all phases)

Allied
M4 Sherman 75mm
M3 Halftrack
Jeep

Axis
Panzer IV
SdKfz 251
Jeep Sub for Kubelwagon

Offline Raphael

• Gold Member
Re: This Friday 4-26
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 10:11:53 AM »
Awesome!!!
Remember 08/08/2012
 Youtube videos - http://www.youtube.com/user/raphael103/featured
Game ID => Raphael
XO of Jg5

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 10:17:12 AM »
lets hype this one hard in the general thread guys, maybe get some  fresh meat in here.
HamHawk
Wing III-- Pigs on The Wing
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep

Offline trap78

• AvA Staff Member
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 11:23:45 AM »
Nice rolling plane set Jimson  :aok

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 09:51:16 PM »
One issue with the plane set though. The Spit 9 should be introduced BEFORE the Spit 8. This is both historically accurate and better for balancing plane sets between the sides.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 11:33:45 PM »
One issue with the plane set though. The Spit 9 should be introduced BEFORE the Spit 8. This is both historically accurate and better for balancing plane sets between the sides.

That's fine. I really don't see a plug nickle's worth of difference between the 2, but then I'm not much of a pilot.

Offline Raphael

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 07:47:51 PM »

C'mon fellows! lets give them hell
Remember 08/08/2012
Game ID => Raphael
XO of Jg5

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 09:17:23 PM »
I see only one problem with this.

Friday is the 27th.  :neener:
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2012, 01:24:37 AM »

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2012, 11:53:51 AM »
Phase Three: As the German Gruppen are starting to re-equip with the Bf-109G-2, RAF units are starting to replace their losses with Spitfire VIIIs, including several American squadrons. In addition, the Regia Aeronautica has re-entered the campaign with new Macchi 202 Folgore fighters. The Allies strengthen their air forces with the addition of Lend Lease American P-40Es and North American B-25 Mitchell bombers.

Phase Four: In a last desperate push, the Germans send their newest aircraft, the Bf-109G-6 and Fw-190A-5. In addition, the Italians send 2 squadrons of Macchi 205 Veltro fighters to the front. The Allies not only counter, but double-down on the Axis. The Allied Operation Torch has provided US built P-38Gs, and F4F-4 Wildcat fighters to counter the Germans, while the RAF brings in their latest fighter, the Spitfire Mk. IX. The last push also sees the combat debut of the Douglas A-20 Havoc, a high-speed medium bomber well suited for tactical operations against both enemy armor and bases.

FYI, the bolded parts don't work.  The Spitfire Mk IX was an emergency lashup of a two stage Merlin mated to a Spitfire Mk V airframe in order to counter the Fw190 and the first version, which the one in AH is, entered service in mid-1942.  The Spitfire Mk VIII was the most refined of the Merlin Spitfires and entered service in mid-1943.  If you're looking for a representation of a later Spitfire Mk IX, the Spitfire Mk XVI in AH is actually a Spitfire LF.Mk IXe, but I don't think that would be appropriate to a North Africa setting.

What I would think would be the most advisable thing to do would be to either flip when you introduce the Spitfire IX and Spitfire VIII in your scenario or eliminate the introduction of the Mk IX altogether and just go with the Mk VIII in both slots.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2012, 12:57:22 PM »
FYI, the bolded parts don't work.  The Spitfire Mk IX was an emergency lashup of a two stage Merlin mated to a Spitfire Mk V airframe in order to counter the Fw190 and the first version, which the one in AH is, entered service in mid-1942.  The Spitfire Mk VIII was the most refined of the Merlin Spitfires and entered service in mid-1943.  If you're looking for a representation of a later Spitfire Mk IX, the Spitfire Mk XVI in AH is actually a Spitfire LF.Mk IXe, but I don't think that would be appropriate to a North Africa setting.

What I would think would be the most advisable thing to do would be to either flip when you introduce the Spitfire IX and Spitfire VIII in your scenario or eliminate the introduction of the Mk IX altogether and just go with the Mk VIII in both slots.

Thanks, I think we are going to flip the 2.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2012, 02:03:35 PM »
Thanks, I think we are going to flip the 2.
That is a good solution.  The Merlin 66 in the Spitfire Mk VIII makes it far more potent in the most common combat altitudes than the Merlin 61 in the Spitfire Mk IX.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2012, 04:31:17 PM »
does this mean you're actually gonna fly in the AVA, karnack?

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2012, 05:40:21 PM »
does this mean you're actually gonna fly in the AVA, karnack?
If I can find the time I'll pop in.  I rarely fly at all anymore.  I was on for about an hour last week in the MA for two sorties each in the A6M3 and Il-2, but it had been nearly a month prior to that since I was last on.

Mainly I was just posting to give you guys more info on the Spitfire lineup to make your setup a bit better/more accurate.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Raphael

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2012, 11:13:09 AM »

Remember 08/08/2012
Game ID => Raphael
XO of Jg5