Author Topic: one scary landing  (Read 668 times)

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
Re: one scary landing
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2012, 12:32:42 AM »
Most of an airplanes stopping power is generated via the wheel brakes which are very efficient at converting the airplanes "go" energy into heat via friction using the brakes and tires.  Also, generally thrust reverse capabilities are not used for calculating stopping performance. I say generally because some manufacturers have managed to certify some variants using them, the practice of which I'm not a fan but that's neither here nor there.

At any rate without the airplanes primary means of slowing and only spoilers to help create a resultant downforce to slow the airplane it's a simple matter of logic and physics that it'll take longer to stop since its not as efficient at stopping.

In short:

"blah blah blah, whatever, no brakes which is how the airplane stops."

Offline trigger2

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2012, 11:05:57 AM »
So, when do we get wind back in AH?  :joystick:
Sometimes, we just need to remember what the rules of life really are: You only
need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the
WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
*TAs Aerofighters Inc.*

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2012, 12:31:13 PM »
if thats the one by the beach I recall i saw a video where a woman foolishly tried to hold onto the fence as a 747 was throttling up for take off, she couldn't hold and and fell, tumbled around a good 20-30 feet then bashed face first into a rock
Yep. When I was there on a cruise, we went to the airport. Watched an A340 take off and 10-15 people standing by the fence holding onto it.

Cool stuff, though.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com