Author Topic: What is your weapon of choice in a zombie apocalypse?  (Read 1881 times)

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
Re: What is your weapon of choice in a zombie apocalypse?
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2012, 12:40:57 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

My handy AR-15. Ammo is lighter than the 30.06 for my Garand, loads more easily in a panic than my SKSs, I don't need "knock down power" if I need a headshot to kill something, and the bayonet provides a blade for up-close work.

This guy gets it.   :aok

An AR15 with quick follow up shots, low power optics, ability to carry boat loads of ammo, and the abundance of extra ammo and spare parts is paramount to survival in a zombie world.  :aok  Besides, do not let anyone spew that an AK has more "knock down" power than an M16/M4/AR15 (the old 5.56 NATO vs 7.62x39 Soviet debate).  

Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2012, 12:42:24 AM »
You may have an AR15 but I can dazzle zombies with the fabulousness of the pimp cannon.

"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2012, 12:45:20 AM »
You may have an AR15 but I can dazzle zombies with the fabulousness of the pimp cannon.

dude what you in the mexican cartels now?  :rofl

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2012, 12:46:19 AM »
(for those of you wondering, yes, that is a real gun. It's a black powder .44 that my uncle gave me. I can't shoot it for beans)

I guess he thought I needed a bedazzled gun.

dude what you in the mexican cartels now?  :rofl

semp

:noid
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2012, 01:28:00 AM »
All you need to do is find out a way to make it to my house in a zombie apocalypse. With our combined resources our anti zombie fortress will be impenetrable.

YES! lol. I've got a nice stockpile of 30.06 and over 1,000rds of XM855 on strippers, plus the Garand now has a bayonet too, for more up-close work...

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2012, 01:30:23 AM »

My handy AR-15. Ammo is lighter than the 30.06 for my Garand, loads more easily in a panic than my SKSs, I don't need "knock down power" if I need a headshot to kill something, and the bayonet provides a blade for up-close work.

Better get a good pair of boots as well.  :bolt:
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2012, 02:18:34 AM »
what it amazes me is that everybody forgets that only a headshot can bring down a zombie, so the biggest baddest guns may not necessarily apply as almost anything will give you a headshot if you can aim it.  btw a shotgun is not a good idea as zombies have a tendency to not walk head to head if you know what i mean.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2012, 02:50:45 AM »
Better get a good pair of boots as well.  :bolt:

Jump boots, cowboy boots, and steel-toe boots, all sitting behind me, next to the ammo cans.

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: April 30, 2012, 09:35:02 AM »
what it amazes me is that everybody forgets that only a headshot can bring down a zombie, so the biggest baddest guns may not necessarily apply as almost anything will give you a headshot if you can aim it.  btw a shotgun is not a good idea as zombies have a tendency to not walk head to head if you know what i mean.

semp

I agree.  A good target pistol like a Ruger 22/45 is incredibly easy to be accurate with, and should be all the punch you need for zombie noggins.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: April 30, 2012, 10:39:22 AM »
I agree.  A good target pistol like a Ruger 22/45 is incredibly easy to be accurate with, and should be all the punch you need for zombie noggins.

See, I don't want to have to change magazines every 10 rounds, not to mention the limited range of the gun.  A 10/22 with a 25 round magazine could be an acceptable alternative, though I still lean towards the AR-15 for reliability and punch.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 12:18:45 PM by Jayhawk »
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2012, 10:47:41 AM »

semp

The SA shotgun is there for when they've gotten too close and surprised you.  A USAS12 or something along those lines if I could find it, any tactical shotgun if I couldn't.  Aim for the head of the close one, hopefully whatever goes past/around it does some damage to the one behind, or you get a twofer.

The .22LR/Mag is for when you're fortified or making a slow retreat.  It would be the one I would be planning on using most often.  Just get set up and knock them down around the base of the building.  An AR wouldn't be a terrible thing to have, but ammo's significantly heavier than .22. Quick googlage yields weight per 100 rounds of .22LR is 0.75 lbs.  Weight per 100 rounds of .223 is ~2.5 lbs.  To me, that makes the choice clear.

While blades don't run out of ammo, the operators do get tired.  I'm pretty leery of letting them get that close.  The flesh eating beetles are an intriguing idea, but I would have to question if they would in fact become zombie flesh eating beetles, as that would indeed be bad.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2012, 11:23:13 AM »

Sears Ranger, .22 LR Circa 1930

Ammo plentiful, easy to carry, above-average accuracy.
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2012, 11:35:20 AM »
Can't believe none of you guys has chosen the AA-12 full auto 12 guage. Talk about crowd control. Couple of drum mags and you're good to go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOoUVeyaY_8
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: April 30, 2012, 12:38:51 PM »
Can't believe none of you guys has chosen the AA-12 full auto 12 guage. Talk about crowd control. Couple of drum mags and you're good to go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOoUVeyaY_8

It'd be swell if you were riding around on a semi with a trailer full of ammo. :)  Otherwise, heavy and punishing.  I'd love to have one with a 'few' rounds as a last-ditch gun, but I sure wouldn't have it as my primary weapon.

Actually, that's one of the Mrs' and my plans...  Semi with full size sleeper and a tanker full of diesel and a cow catcher.  Possibly flamethrower equipped depending on availability of fuel...

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2012, 12:50:40 PM »

Sears Ranger, .22 LR Circa 1930

Ammo plentiful, easy to carry, above-average accuracy.

:aok  Very nice!

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder