Author Topic: Just put one of these on layaway  (Read 709 times)

Offline curry1

• Gold Member
Re: Just put one of these on layaway
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2012, 09:26:15 PM »
Looks nice.  Going to hunt with it or getting it for targets?
When has such a sentiment ever been posted on these forums?  You like strawmen that much?

You are truly delusional if you don't see the hyperbole there.  You know that is effectively the views of some on this board just look in the "Pictures of players" thread.  I really don't understand some of your comments.

Nah, he'll be ok unless a Euro person looks in the thread.  Then the condemnations will fly!

nailed it
Curry1-Since Tour 101

Offline ALFAMEGA51

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2012, 09:30:15 PM »
Pfactor LMAO!!!!!   :rofl
ID:ALFAMEGA/Kyle
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Undercover Jug pilot "My brick always flys wing"

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2012, 10:01:32 PM »
Wow nice gun 1plus44  :salute

thanks! Now all I have to do is find it a nice M1917 bayonet and put it in a glass case up on my wall. Maybe paint "Break glass in case of Zombie Apocalypse" in red on it.  :rock :rock :rock
No one knows what the future may bring.

Offline Hoffman

• Copper Member
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2012, 10:04:17 PM »
I've noticed a lot of guys in here posting pics with tactical (more or less... shortish barrel, long magazine) shotguns.

What do you use them for?

The only thing they seem to me to be the best tool for the job for is being quick to hand if you're expecting to be home invaded.  Not to say that's not a fine use for a shotgun, but I'm just curious if there's something I'm missing about them?

Wiley.

Another use for tactical barrels on shotties is 3-gun competitions.  Those look like fun.

Offline Vudu15

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2012, 10:21:00 PM »
I use a remington 870 Tactical for hunting ducks, geese, deer and hogs love that pistol grip.  :aok

just like this one....http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/tactical/shotguns/model-870-express-tactical-a-tacs-camo.aspx
"No odds too great"

"I was a horse ahead at the end" - Nathan Bedford Forrest
Training Video List https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL54E5CE

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2012, 10:34:10 PM »
I use a remington 870 Tactical for hunting ducks, geese, deer and hogs love that pistol grip.  :aok

just like this one....http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/tactical/shotguns/model-870-express-tactical-a-tacs-camo.aspx

Does the shorter barrel really make that much of a difference with bird hunting? (Keep in mind, I really only dove hunt, I've never been duck/goose hunting.)

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2012, 10:57:47 PM »
A short barrel can make for a quicker handling gun for doves. Having a screw in choke makes it a very versatile gun and can be used for everything up through geese as well as either slugs or buckshot for other game.

The 1897 repro pictured was used in the military, hence the ventilated sleeve and bayonet lug. It was known as a "trench gun" as well as being used in other close combat and confinement jobs.  It can also be used for competition. The 1897 is also used, minus the sleeve and lug, for some versions of cowboy competition shooting.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 10:59:36 PM by Maverick »
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Vudu15

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2012, 07:57:14 AM »
Does the shorter barrel really make that much of a difference with bird hunting? (Keep in mind, I really only dove hunt, I've never been duck/goose hunting.)

No i just like the shorter overall length since I hunted with a 20 ga. pump gun before it, was real small.
"No odds too great"

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2012, 11:30:21 AM »

I do alot of bird hunting ducks, geese,doves,grouse etc, also shoot alot of skeet and sporting clays.......I find the longer barrel helps with my "follow thru" and also the longer sight picture down the bbl helps me in aquiring the target.............all that said, if i had one like your getting, you could bet that id take it for a walk in the woods for some hunting.....I bet it would be a dynamite slug gun for deer. (I have a feeling your post is gonna cost me money   :lol)

Oh, and chokes will make all the difference like Mav said.

Another thing to keep in mind, im wondering if they make a field barrel for it? What make is it, and model.(the company thats making the REPRO that is) Ill see if a bbl is available the next time im up at the shop.
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline Grayeagle

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2012, 11:37:31 AM »
umm ..

I useda have an Ithaca 12 gauge single shot shotgun.

Hunted sparrows ..lizards .. leopard frogs
.. I mean, no muss no fuss no skinning no cleaning no tying to the fender of the car..

Just BOOM!!
.. and sparrow GONE!

Although .. if you shoot a frog under water you will be cool and refreshed by said water.

Know how I know?

-Frank aka GE
'The better I shoot ..the less I have to manuever'
-GE

Offline Vudu15

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2012, 02:05:19 PM »
yea mine came with a straight cylinder choke Ive since put a heavy metal duck tube on it. least 10 ducks and a couple geese have been brought down with it already.
"No odds too great"

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2012, 02:27:32 PM »
Usually for waterfowl hunters use longer barrels...basically 26"+ while turkey and deer tend to use shorter ones. Not too much of a difference, it's mainly just the steel shot choke vs the lead shot choke.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2012, 04:28:46 PM »
I do alot of bird hunting ducks, geese,doves,grouse etc, also shoot alot of skeet and sporting clays.......I find the longer barrel helps with my "follow thru" and also the longer sight picture down the bbl helps me in aquiring the target.............all that said, if i had one like your getting, you could bet that id take it for a walk in the woods for some hunting.....I bet it would be a dynamite slug gun for deer. (I have a feeling your post is gonna cost me money   :lol)

Oh, and chokes will make all the difference like Mav said.

Another thing to keep in mind, im wondering if they make a field barrel for it? What make is it, and model.(the company thats making the REPRO that is) Ill see if a bbl is available the next time im up at the shop.

The brand is Norinco, and I'm not too sure about longer barrels but on a plus side they're rather cheap too! (I want a large collection of WWII and WWI era guns, but M1 Garand/Carbine/Springfield are 1k+, so I'm starting small. I already have a Lee Enfield made in 1917) The Repro 1897 only cost me about 450$$ w/ tax :devil I just can't wait to take it shooting and slam fire it at something.  :rock

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2012, 04:46:19 PM »
Im an Australian.

The virtues of blasting wildlife with extreme firepower, while illegal in this country, is an activity which we thoroughly enjoy on a regular basis.

So no complaints from me besides WHEN ARE YOU GETTING BACK IN GAME PLUS!

*nice shottie btw*

I thought hunting was legal in aussie?

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2012, 05:15:15 PM »
Im an Australian.

The virtues of blasting wildlife with extreme firepower, while illegal in this country, is an activity which we thoroughly enjoy on a regular basis.

So no complaints from me besides WHEN ARE YOU GETTING BACK IN GAME PLUS!

*nice shottie btw*

I can't tell you when  :(  I work at a manufacturing shop (I won't say what I build) and I usually work about 40+ hours during the weekday ontop of going to college. Just the fact that I can get to bed before 10 some days surprises me and even then, its past my bedtime cause I wake up at like 5:30AM every morning.

Hopefully I can get back on soon when I get a nice gaming rig, I just don't know how soon. Believe me, I still feel the itch to fly!