Author Topic: Flight dynamics changed ???  (Read 2412 times)

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
Re: Flight dynamics changed ???
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2012, 11:18:46 AM »
Coincidental for me that this came up.  Just curious Silver, but did you change anything about how your stick setup is mounted to your desk/whatever?

I recently got around to mounting my HOTAS solidly to my chair, sort of a cheap DIY gaming chair setup.  The first while I flew in it, I discovered if I pulled hard to break turn, I would sometimes go into wicked accelerated stalls out of nowhere, where before I would've just pulled near blackout.

I realized the issue was my previous setup was highly unstable, on a surface with a lot of give to it that effectively was damping my control inputs.  I'd pull hard, the surface the base of my stick was on would give slightly, then go to the deflection I wanted.

I wound up having to relearn my muscle memory, and it still bites me in the backside now and again.

Just throwing out another possibility.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline DOUG

• Copper Member
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2012, 11:58:35 AM »
hehehehe < grew up on dirt roads in a teeny town where theres snow, and have done that- but NEVER on the freeway!=) SWEET you can see the wheels SNAP over at just the right time to save it=)
He either is a dune buggy owner, or just got lucky, but I DONT think it was luck.         Ohhhh, thats off topic-
Uuuummmmm its your stick, even the best sticks in the world get dust in places they shouldnt=(
elfy
"UsedToDoALittleButTheLittleWo uldntDoIt,So the Little gotMore andMore,JustKeepTryingToGet a littleBetterIsaid aLittleBetterThanBefore"...A.Rose
AK elfy-1st ArabianKnight recruited in AH- May 7,2000

Offline Mar

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2012, 01:08:57 PM »
I am curious, why are so many assuming it's a controller problem when he is intentionally slamming the stick all the way back? It's normal for it to snap-spin if you yank it back. You'll have to readjust how you fly, or turn stall limiter back on. I recommend the former, stall limiter actually takes away from your plane's performance.
𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓈𝒽𝒶𝒹𝑜𝓌𝓈 𝑜𝒻 𝓌𝒶𝓇'𝓈 𝓅𝒶𝓈𝓉 𝒶 𝒹𝑒𝓂𝑜𝓃 𝑜𝒻 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒶𝒾𝓇 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝑒𝓈 𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝑔𝓇𝒶𝓋𝑒

"Onward to the land of kings—via the sky of aces!"
  Oh, and zack1234 rules. :old:

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2012, 01:10:07 PM »
My guess is he turned off Stall Limit

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2012, 01:58:28 PM »
My guess is he turned off Stall Limit

What the guy in the car?  :banana:

This fellow's obviously got a spiking pot in his stick. It is the most likely cause of what he is describing. I've been through this so many times on the forum I can't go through it again without feeling like an Air Steward. Why doesn't some help thingamajig get written down permanently on the wiki or whatever, to help with common hardware issues? Some of these sticks have very very poor quality potentiometers, I think this problem will always be popping up  :old:

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2012, 03:31:06 PM »

This fellow's obviously got a spiking pot in his stick. It is the most likely cause of what he is describing.

So your theory is that a spiking potentiometer is causing the stick to give full deflection when he pulls it all the way back? Isn't there a simpler explanation?   :D

Offline Silver

• Zinc Member
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2012, 04:08:13 PM »
Stall limiter has always been off. I know how to fly. This is something that has changed recently in the "feel" of the game for me. It just seems like stalls became 500% more abrupt and dramatic suddenly. They induce into spins much much easier and planes seem much more unstable.

If I was in a real plane I would swear the trim tab system was messed up. Tried messing with leaving combat trim on and off doesnt seem to make much difference.

just went and did some flight testing to recheck some stuff. Something definitely not right.
F4U1A ... straight level 300kts .... 50% pull back into a loop. Top of the loop still doing over 200 knts indicated. Only partial back pressure on stick and it stalls and goes into a spin. After going into a spin it becomes almost uncontrollable even after recovery. recovered. straight and level at 200+ knts and its is wallowing around and trying to spin like I am doing 100 knts.

Let me get it all reinstalled tonight and I will report back. thanks for the feed back.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 04:36:05 PM by Silver »

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2012, 04:54:46 PM »
Silver run some film of whats going on and post it.
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2012, 05:20:15 PM »
Stall limiter has always been off. I know how to fly. This is something that has changed recently in the "feel" of the game for me. It just seems like stalls became 500% more abrupt and dramatic suddenly. They induce into spins much much easier and planes seem much more unstable.

If I was in a real plane I would swear the trim tab system was messed up. Tried messing with leaving combat trim on and off doesnt seem to make much difference.

just went and did some flight testing to recheck some stuff. Something definitely not right.
F4U1A ... straight level 300kts .... 50% pull back into a loop. Top of the loop still doing over 200 knts indicated. Only partial back pressure on stick and it stalls and goes into a spin. After going into a spin it becomes almost uncontrollable even after recovery. recovered. straight and level at 200+ knts and its is wallowing around and trying to spin like I am doing 100 knts.

Let me get it all reinstalled tonight and I will report back. thanks for the feed back.

What kind of joystick do you have? Rudders? This problem is common when your rudder isn't correctly maintained. For example one reason I got rid of the Logitech 3d PRO was because after a Month of use the Rudder kicks hard to the left - meaning even when the stick is leveled - the slightest touch moves it to easily to the left - causing you to "kick the rudder" which generally doesn't matter except when you are in a high speed turn or what not you stall out and flip over.

JG 52

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2012, 05:30:44 PM »

What you've stated so far sounds like normal behavior. I get that it feels different to you than it was before but it's normal for full back stick to snap roll you.

Did you change your scaling?

What stick do you use?

Do you use a powered USB hub?

Offline Daddkev

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2012, 05:35:19 PM »
 :huh :huh :huh Just recalibrate.......if still bad, replace Stick!  :huh :huh :huh
God Bless America
Go tell Momm, im flying! and make me a sandwich !
EvilKev

2012 68KO Cup 1st Place finisher

Offline Silver

• Zinc Member
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2012, 07:18:44 PM »
It's Hotas Wartog stick with Saitek combat rudder pedals. Controllers were expensive, so I'm trying not to throw them in the trash. Or for it to at least be the very last option to try.

I understand what yall are saying about about power on stalls. I've been playing this game for 3+ years and just this week noticed airplanes are not behaving the way they used to. Like I said even just straight and level after a spin event makes the plane wallow around like a pig in the mud even at 200kts indicated.

Only thing has me thinking something might have got screwy is the game locked up and crashed the other day and kind of seems like the trouble started after that.  :headscratch: I did go around and mess with some of the scaling and axis calibration features, but think I set everything back the way it was originally.

I'll post up tomorrow if the reinstall fixes anything.

Silver run some film of whats going on and post it.

If reinstall doesn't work, that will be my next move.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 07:24:14 PM by Silver »

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2012, 07:47:15 PM »
 Silver,

Could you please post a pic of your scaling settings?  I'm interested to see how you have the elevator setup.

Since you have a warthog I doubt it's a controller problem as they dont use pots. in the JS. and the JS wont give unwanted rudder inputs.

BTW,most planes want to climb and roll left if they're accelerating.  I'm betting that you may have had a problem when the game locked up and then when you messed around with the controller you changed something causing you to experience this sudden change in A/C behaviour.

YMMV.

:salute

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2012, 07:47:53 PM »
The other thing that can cause problems is if you recently added a USB device and are short on power on the USB hub.

All this can be diagnosed simply by watching the raw numbers with the control mapper open.
Move the stick and see if the rudder input spikes.

HiTech

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2012, 08:15:56 PM »
Has anyone else noticed that planes like to go into snap spins at any speed with full back stick ?

As they should.  Full aft stick is part of the snap roll entry.  With normal C of G full aft stick should produce a stall at any speed.  Don't see an issue.
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"