Author Topic: Kursk next?  (Read 3960 times)

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Kursk next?
« on: May 13, 2012, 11:29:15 AM »
Well, I think we could do a Kursk event next. Granted we would have to use a different map for the event, but I think the time has come.

We have a decent line-up for aircraft, and GV's, and most importatnly, with the arival of the Ju-87G-2, both sides will have a good ground-attack aircraft available.

One of the benefits of doing Kursk is that its one of the few setups we can run where the Germans are on the strategic offensive. Really after that point, the Germans were at best using agressive defense. Even the Balaton offensive wasn't really strategic in nature, it didn't put the initiative back in the German's hands.

It seems like the GV setup is going to be hardest, since we don't have AT guns, mines, and all the other defenses the Soviets had on their side. IMO, for GV's, we would give the Germans: Panzer IV F2/H at a 2:1 ratio, one group of Tiger I's, and a group of Panther G's, in substitute for the Panther Ausf. D.

Soviets would get the T-34/76 and the T-34/85 in place of the Su-85 and their AT guns. Numerical advantage would obviously be given to the Soviets in this case.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
Re: Kursk next?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 11:36:30 AM »
Next event is already on the books, and will be announced soon.

One thing we don't do though, is plan an event around a plane that isn't out yet. It won't be Kursk.
ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.

Offline AKKuya

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 01:10:45 PM »
Most likely the next event will center around a What If Scenario.  What if Germany actually invaded England?  Allied CV's and land based bombers from Iceland pounding the Nazi occupied landscape.

Since we don't have Iceleand, we'll have to use CV's as bomber bases.  Lancasters, B-17's, and B-24's with formations launching en masse from blue water operations.  We'll call it "Her Majesty's Raid".
Chuck Norris can pick oranges from an apple tree and make the best lemonade in the world. Every morning when you wake up, swallow a live toad. Nothing worse can happen to you for the rest of the day. They say money can't buy happiness. I would like the opportunity to find out. Why be serious?

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 01:31:20 PM »
Most likely the next event will center around a What If Scenario.  What if Germany actually invaded England?  Allied CV's and land based bombers from Iceland pounding the Nazi occupied landscape.

Since we don't have Iceleand, we'll have to use CV's as bomber bases.  Lancasters, B-17's, and B-24's with formations launching en masse from blue water operations.  We'll call it "Her Majesty's Raid".
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Fencer51

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 01:34:07 PM »
Before I design another ground war, in fact before we run another ground war I will require 30 written pledges of participation per side promising their 401ks, first born, and the removal of their pinky fingers if they fail to sign up and attend.

Btw, the new black sea map has an area designed specificity for a recreation of Kursk.

I would love to do more GV events, I highly enjoyed DoB in tanks, but we need GVers to commit to participate.. not force people who want to fly to GV.

Cheers,

Fencer
Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 01:38:19 PM »
I'm comming back in the summer, I've got a job already lined up, I start in July. I can make scenarios, I'll GL the Panthers if you need an expirienced commander, and I could start badgering GV'ers in the MA to join.

If not the next one, at least consider it for the Fall scenario.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline AKKuya

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 01:40:36 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

First official supporter. :aok  In the words of Jean-luc Picard, "Make it so."

Now, back to your reguarly scheduled Scenario programming.
Chuck Norris can pick oranges from an apple tree and make the best lemonade in the world. Every morning when you wake up, swallow a live toad. Nothing worse can happen to you for the rest of the day. They say money can't buy happiness. I would like the opportunity to find out. Why be serious?

Offline SEseph

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 07:54:40 PM »
I would love to do more GV events, I highly enjoyed DoB in tanks, but we need GVers to commit to participate.. not force people who want to fly to GV.

This.  :aok
BOWL Axis CO 2014 BoB13 JG52 XO DSG2 Axis S. Cmdr 2012 WSDG Allied CO 2012 Multiple GL/XO Side/Section CO/XO since early '00s
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no point in being a damn fool about it. W.C.Fields

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 12:06:32 PM »
Keep in mind that M3s with the gun on it can act as stationary AT guns.... About as defenseless as them. Just set them up ahead of time and don't let them move around.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 02:05:56 PM »
I heard that the next scenario is a "what if" as follows:

-- Germany and USSR remained together on axis.
-- Thus US and UK weren't able to gain foothold in Europe and had to focus on desperate defense of UK.
-- Meanwhile, Japan as member of axis settled its differences with USSR and, backed by USSR industry, kept winning in the Pacific.

So, in the scenario, it is a 1945 battle for Seattle.  The Japanese have taken Hawaii, the Aleutians, and pushed down the west coast.  Land-based Yaks, La's, and Ki-67's, and Sea Nikis and Sea Ki-84's on Japanese CV's off the Washington coast battle late-war US iron and US CV's.

:P

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 02:08:15 PM »
The bait.... she is stinky, no? </random French accent>

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 02:36:12 PM »
Actually, I think "Battle for Seattle" would a great fun!  But, no, it isn't the next scenario.

Offline Fencer51

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2012, 04:42:54 PM »
Actually, I think "Battle for Seattle" would a great fun!  But, no, it isn't the next scenario.

Why would anyone fight to keep Seattle?
Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2012, 04:46:00 PM »
Why would anyone fight to keep Seattle?

In the alternate history of my imagining, it would be to make sure Hoosiers are kept out.  :P

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2012, 04:46:39 PM »
Starbucks and Microsoft have brainwashed us all to want to keep it :)