Author Topic: My Strategic wish list  (Read 669 times)

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
My Strategic wish list
« on: May 14, 2012, 04:48:47 AM »
reconfigure HQ to a city type object that no longer disables a countries radar but increases the delay in the radar information up to 15 minutes if the HQ complex is completely leveled.

disable resupply of all strategic targets. (this broke the strat game from the beginning and everyone knows it)

disconnect the city center from affecting the strat factories and make the city responsible for down times of the town buildings.

make all strat target down times 6 hours or the same as the current city center down time.

Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
Re: My Strategic wish list
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 07:44:20 AM »
reconfigure HQ to a city type object that no longer disables a countries radar but increases the delay in the radar information up to 15 minutes if the HQ complex is completely leveled.

disable resupply of all strategic targets. (this broke the strat game from the beginning and everyone knows it)

disconnect the city center from affecting the strat factories and make the city responsible for down times of the town buildings.

make all strat target down times 6 hours or the same as the current city center down time.

"increases the delay in the radar information"?  have we a delay now?  not being snarky.  want to understand what you typed.

disconnecting the City from the Factories would certainly get things going especially if Factories cannot be resupplied but only rebuilt over a 6 hour duration.  Don't think it will ever happen though.  Would be too disruptive to the little fights.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 08:03:59 AM »
reconfigure HQ to a city type object that no longer disables a countries radar but increases the delay in the radar information up to 15 minutes if the HQ complex is completely leveled. Though 15 mins is a tad too much for my taste, I generally do like this idea going away from the "all or nothing" HQ effect we do have now

disable resupply of all strategic targets. (this broke the strat game from the beginning and everyone knows it). I'm not entirely sure what you mean - auto resupply or player resupply? The latter one is currently almost non-existant for the strats, with the single exception being the HQ, for obvious reasons. And I do think even with a 'fixed' strats system there should always be the the ability for players to manually shorten the downtimes of strat objects, though we surely would have to take a close look at balancing this option.

make all strat target down times 6 hours or the same as the current city center down time. 6h is way too much, especially with the ctiy being removed from the equation as to your proposal above. A minimum downtime of 2h (instead of 45min) and a (working) max downtime of 3h with city down.

Factories being down for 6h hours no matter what with no ability for manual resupply would be way overscaled in my opinion.

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 08:40:04 AM »
nevermind keep it like it is its perfect the way it is.

anything that keeps snailman plinking towns ina b29 in a predictable pattern that can be intercepted by my 190a8 makes everything just fine the way it is.

because plinking 20% of a town 50 miles behind the lines is strategic scorewhoring.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 08:43:12 AM »
nevermind keep it like it is its perfect the way it is.

anything that keeps snailman plinking towns ina b29 in a predictable pattern that can be intercepted by my 190a8 makes everything just fine the way it is.

because plinking 20% of a town 50 miles behind the lines is strategic scorewhoring.

A bit touchy, aren't we? Not agreeing with everything you said to 100% negates all the campaigning for a massively increased importance of the strats i have done in the past year?  :rofl
For the record, last tour I was spending 90% of my bomber time on strat raids and lost 6 B-29 on those missions.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 08:45:33 AM »
if the city is dropped to 0% player dropped FIELD  supplies should have 0 effect just like the empty trains that when not broken are supposed to have 0 effect

I don't really know what to say about how little reasons there are to fly in bombers and bomb irrelevant targets that effect nothing.

the only thing it has a remote chance of effecting is respawn rates. and with the distancs travelled and the numbers of players required to do this you are shooting yourself and your chess pieces tactical situation in the foot by even bothering.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 08:48:17 AM by Citabria »

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 10:12:38 AM »

I like this idea....proportionality between HQ damage and radar update delay time.......  IMO maybe nonlinear (exponential)  though?

Player resupply Did it break this element of game play? I suppose if the above proportionality was modelled then player ability to defeat it via  player resupply would be making it all a waste of time 

+1 for linking it to town rebuild time............ I suppose you could leave the link to Strat rebuild time

see above

Coloured opinion as per the snail............
Ludere Vincere

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 05:00:20 PM »
My take on the subject:

Move the entire strat complex within two grids of the original front line on small maps and 4 grids on large maps.
Make a duplicate strat complex for each front (2 per country).
Make leveling the strat/city complex 100% an additional requirement to winning the war.  Only the complex bordering the attacking country needs to be flat.
Strat and city buildings stay down for 30 minutes with no resupply available.
If strat is down, fields can only be resupplied by player supply drops.
Add in GV spawns from both bordering countries to each strat complex.

HQ is tied to base captures instead of radar.  The country with a flat HQ cannot capture bases (even if troops running) until HQ pops.
HQ stays down for 15 minutes with no resupply available.

* This is only an arena setting to nullify base captures.  Supplies can still be used.

"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Dover

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 05:42:41 PM »
15 min for a hq

30 for a strat lol

the bomber pilots dropping these spend more time on the runway

it should be 2 hours for strats and 3 or 4 for the hq

the pilots that kill them should be able to land before the item respawns
 ok maybe mine are a bit high but yours are way low

so 1 hour on strat and 2.5 on hq sounds fair to me

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 06:03:12 PM »
Caldera,

How does your design follow the primary rule of: The ability to wage equal war at all times.

You are designing for a 2 sided death match conflict along with many bomber drivers. How do you stop players from jumping en mass to a non castrated country or logging off when they cannot wage equal war using their resources? Again this places the majorites fun outcome into the hands of a few well  organised "serious" players or greifers. All stick and no carrot. You are punishing players for focusing on their own fun and not a serious war simulation.

You can achive these results more directly by asking that upon 100% destruction of a county's strat, all perked rides for your country are free for 60 minutes. A HOST text announcement will go out putting your name in lights while announcing perked rides in country (x) are now free for 60 minutes due to your efforts. You are now a hero and your country will be swamped with side switchers giving you the ability to then roll the map with perk rides en mass.

Fester is at least tacitly recognising how this three sided game works.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2012, 07:46:53 PM »
Caldera,

How does your design follow the primary rule of: The ability to wage equal war at all times.

You are designing for a 2 sided death match conflict along with many bomber drivers. How do you stop players from jumping en mass to a non castrated country or logging off when they cannot wage equal war using their resources? Again this places the majorites fun outcome into the hands of a few well  organised "serious" players or greifers. All stick and no carrot. You are punishing players for focusing on their own fun and not a serious war simulation.

You can achive these results more directly by asking that upon 100% destruction of a county's strat, all perked rides for your country are free for 60 minutes. A HOST text announcement will go out putting your name in lights while announcing perked rides in country (x) are now free for 60 minutes due to your efforts. You are now a hero and your country will be swamped with side switchers giving you the ability to then roll the map with perk rides en mass.

Fester is at least tacitly recognising how this three sided game works.

How does my idea restrict the ability to wage war?  No base takes for 15 minutes could give a down and out country a breather and wouldn't make it any worse for the same country if it happened to them.  15 whole minutes. 

And I'm not seeing where you get the "two-sided death match" from.  What weapons of war am I removing exactly?  Which players am I punishing and how? Please elaborate.

edit: after reading your last post a second time, I see that you are wishing that a country that gets it's strat steamrolled will also have to fight against an entire side filled with free perk planes?  WOW!  That sounds like you are punishing an entire side after they are already beaten down.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 07:58:24 PM by caldera »
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 04:30:10 PM »
You are still imposing a global effect even if it benifits the attacked side who might need a 15 minute break from being hoard rolled. Now for 15 minutes you can capture feilds from the two other county's but they have to wait.

Equal ability to wage war at all times for everyone.

Most of you want punitive knock out blows to punish a country for allowing you to sneak around in their backfeild. Dover obviously dislikes the idea he cannot impose a global sanction to an other wise disinterestd population in their own ability to wage war. Most of them think they are waging combat across an unrestricted map and are voting for that with their credt cards.

Caldera's is the reverse, it punishes the country of origion of the bomber but, still denighs the equal ability to wage war.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Dover

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2012, 04:51:05 PM »
You are still imposing a global effect even if it benifits the attacked side who might need a 15 minute break from being hoard rolled. Now for 15 minutes you can capture feilds from the two other county's but they have to wait.

Equal ability to wage war at all times for everyone.

Most of you want punitive knock out blows to punish a country for allowing you to sneak around in their backfeild. Dover obviously dislikes the idea he cannot impose a global sanction to an other wise disinterestd population in their own ability to wage war. Most of them think they are waging combat across an unrestricted map and are voting for that with their credt cards.

Caldera's is the reverse, it punishes the country of origion of the bomber but, still denighs the equal ability to wage war.

you keep pulling the Equal ability to wage war at all times for everyone.

exsplain eny and how it lets me not have a p51 while the other side does this rule is already broken

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2012, 04:10:04 PM »
Dover,

HTC has several but, limited impositions to the equal war rule to make war waging equal. You cannot be expected to really know these because of how new you are. Most of your arguments betray that lack of knowlege or lack of caring to know this information about the game.

ENY came from AH1 and the JSO (Joint Squad Operations) where 300+ players would agree to show up in one country and swamp the map in late war rides. Players either jumped country's and made the problem even worse or logged for the evening. Eventualy I will conjectur enough voted with their credit cards elsewhere resulting in ENY. HTC does not impose draconian measures other wise.

ENY was imposed so if 300 players wanted to swamp the map they had to do it in early and some mid war rides against the 2 other countries in late war rides with 262 almost free. As the population itself of one side becomes a radical force multiplyer, HTC negates that by reducing the potential of force projection by that superior group with lesser capable aircraft and vehicals. Thus the near free B29, 262 for the 2 other countries along with Tempests, CHog and Spit14 being free rides.

It's possible ENY could be pushed to the point that 400+ guys would be limited to attacking with spit1, Dauntless and jeeps against free B29 and 262 in the two other countries with 30 players each.

The ability to wage equal war includes object force multiplication and projection ability reflective of player numbers as an additional force multiplyer. In this game numbers count. You should know that being a member of the brigade. At least HTC does.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2012, 05:51:05 PM »
Here's what I'd like to see incorporating part of Fester's ideas:

First, bring back the zone strat system with strats spread around the map.  As Fester mentioned, tie the city to the town (and hanger) rebuild times but only for towns (and hangers) in that sector then allow player resupply of towns and hangers (maybe an opportunity to add player controlled trucks to the game simulating engineering units?).  Tie HQ to the strat rebuild times globally for that country but allow player resupply of field level strat supplies.  Again from Fester's ideas, don't allow player resupply of HQ, cities or strats.

This takes away the global radar killing totally which in many ways is s fight and fun killer.  Radar could still be greatly affected though by flattening the HQ and the radar strat then taking it out field by field.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.