Author Topic: My new updated Main Arena  (Read 11002 times)

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
Re: My new updated Main Arena
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2012, 02:07:09 PM »
Sweet!

Very nice tile work Fester.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2012, 02:22:26 PM »
ya man looks awesome, I tried my hand at map making  :bhead :bhead :bhead :bhead :bhead :bhead :bhead :bhead :bhead :bhead :bhead :bhead :bhead :bhead :bhead :bhead :bhead :bhead :bhead :bhead :bhead :bhead :bhead :bhead :bhead :bhead

that's about how I felt after 2 days.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2012, 02:57:03 PM »
Gorgeous!   Surprised nobody mentioned the you-know-what....

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2012, 03:13:16 PM »
Looks terrific!  :rock :salute

One thing, though: It seems like it's quite difficult to land on the fields judging by the screenshots. Not one single "...landed succesfully" message visible...

exited in flight :P

but I did set up the airfields so that the runway ends have at least a couple miles of open area at the approach and departure ends that is at or lower than the field elevation.

so it should be easier to take off and land even in heavy b29s from most any field.
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2012, 03:16:30 PM »
Is this that old map that had a lake with 3 PT spawns for PT furballs? Or was it PT river battels.......

Great work Fester. You haven't lost your touch.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2012, 03:32:02 PM »
No this is the one that had the 3 valleys that had the GV bases in a long line. It also had a single max alt field near the middle of the map that all sides fought to own. The GV battles were a blast on this map and the sea battles in the sea in the upper left corner (where the islands Killnu mentioned) were some of the best fights around.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2012, 03:40:30 PM »
 :aok

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2012, 04:09:36 PM »
No this is the one that had the 3 valleys that had the GV bases in a long line. It also had a single max alt field near the middle of the map that all sides fought to own. The GV battles were a blast on this map and the sea battles in the sea in the upper left corner (where the islands Killnu mentioned) were some of the best fights around.

yes the islands are on the sea area on the northwest side of the map.

the high alt field in the center has some drawbacks in the form of an enemy vbase from each country that is uncapturable. the fights over this small high altitude field have the potential to be epic and it should change hands quite a lot. the logic behind having each country have an uncapturable vbase with no spawn points a short driving distance from this center high altitude base is to keep the base in constant danger of being over run thus giving a counter punch to its high altitude offensive ability. this is a fluid map and will likely reset quickly. having a thorn in the side of this high alt base changing hands often should keep the map from resetting in a couple hours to steamroll hordes once in a while in theory. but most likely if the steamroll gets going this fast moving front design will reset quickly if the horde is not stopped even with this center wrench thrown in the works.

I redesigned the center of the map a bit with what I had learned from building and playing on ozkansas.

A large attempt has been made again to offer as much variety of combat interaction. airfields on the perimeter concentrate on air2air and carrier fights. inland from that and some distance from airfields are chains of vbases.

towards the center an expanded version of the combined air and ground fight that is setup to be operational even after bases are captured or lost and not dependant on a starting setup for maximum fight potential. it uses the ability of some vbases to anchor fights away from the airfields themselves. a setup i stumbled upon in ozkansas that I found the fight results to be very good.

25 miles further towards the center a ring of airbases with no ground spawns to increase their capture difficulty.

the center high altitude base is some distance from the lower rings of bases. it is somthing worth fighting for and defending as it does give a strategic forward operating base for anyone brave enough to try to get bombers out of. there is a high probability I will try my hand at camping in a wirble some distance from the departure end of this field waiting for any heavy sluggish aircraft trying to get out of this base if my country does not own it. would probably get popped bya tank trying this though so I am interested to see how hotly contested this little center conflagration can become.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 04:11:24 PM by Citabria »
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2012, 04:11:12 PM »
Nice work Fester  :aok

Noir,  :rofl
good work, awesome, such improvement of the game shouldn't come from the players.

Doesn't have to.  Some people do things because they want to.  Why does this concern you?  If you don't want to, don't.  It's none of your concern if others do.
Terrain Team
Skinners Team
CM Team
AvA Team

It's our time you are commenting on, don't spend it for us, it's not your business.  There is far more to life than doing something just because you get paid for it.  Some people create for the sake of creating.
ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.

Offline Oddball-CAF

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2012, 05:33:33 PM »
Wow, Fester. It's absolutely beautiful. Thanks a ton for what HAS to be
a jaw-dropping amount of time and effort.

Regards, Odd

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2012, 05:52:46 PM »
good work, awesome, such improvement of the game shouldn't come from the players.
[/qu   :headscratch:players are the ones who play the the game and probably have the best ideas-if not really good ones.we players know what we like.
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2012, 05:55:27 PM »
htc doesen't have to use the ideas but it give's insight to what we like..some of the maps could be or should be changed--or at least remodified. :bolt:
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline Dace

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2012, 06:00:28 PM »
My very favorite map of all time. Awesome! :x

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2012, 06:14:07 PM »
yes the islands are on the sea area on the northwest side of the map.

:O         :x

Are there three islands?  Do any of the trees spell "Midway" when viewed from above?  :pray

I will be the defender of said islands.   :joystick:

From here on out they shall be known as Midway islands. :D   Dare not tread on said islands.   :mad:

:x :aok

PARADISE ON EARTH  ------->  http://www.youtube.com/v/g_D4RhfCY2M&autoplay=1&hd=1&fs=1   <-------  PARADISE ON EARTH :)

Offline AceHavok

• Nickel Member
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2012, 07:01:58 PM »
Yay! A Desert area for tanks. :) 

Excellent work Fester.

Warthog
Currently inactive.

Peace cannot be kept by force; it can only be achieved by understanding. - Albert Einstein