Author Topic: My new updated Main Arena  (Read 11015 times)

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
Re: My new updated Main Arena
« Reply #60 on: May 18, 2012, 02:40:44 AM »
I'm curious what you would like us do less of to do more maps?

HiTech

all the recent vehicles added, the 88mm, the storch....all useless I'd rather have new maps.
now posting as SirNuke

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #61 on: May 18, 2012, 03:20:58 AM »
No this is the one that had the 3 valleys that had the GV bases in a long line. It also had a single max alt field near the middle of the map that all sides fought to own. The GV battles were a blast on this map and the sea battles in the sea in the upper left corner (where the islands Killnu mentioned) were some of the best fights around.

:rock Fester .... We're not worthy....

I think this is the map where the troops would scale the mountain to the maproom (what movie was that in again?) :bolt:

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #62 on: May 18, 2012, 03:49:49 AM »
That's a beautiful looking map Fester. Having done the hand painting textures thing myself I know how much work has gone into that.

Would be nice to see HTC approve my MA map during my lifetime as well......

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #63 on: May 18, 2012, 05:38:51 AM »
In my experience, and with me personally, people that volunteer their time and talents to create content and try to help the game and community do so because it's something they have a passion and interest in, not because they expect some kind of compensation.

As I see it, there is no dilema...only drama. People are quick to complain and criticize without fully understanding how and why things are the way they are - this is not limited to maps; just take a good look at the wishlist sometime.

I thought my suggestion would very possibly enable HTC to avoid the choise I previously quoted, and get the players more content which they would like.

Your answer to me reads as if you assume I know and do nothing. Take my films of Aces High for example, I make them for my own enjoyment.
For the time it takes to create a film/map/skin, the monetary difference for one month no where near covers minimum wage (if you want to look at it as 'compensation').

It would be a sign of encouragement and appreciation from those at the top. Other combat flight sims have competitions for films of their games.. AH could do a Map competition for a month free?
But I suppose when one is getting something for nothing under the guise of passionate volunteers; why change, isn't that right spokesman Dot.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 05:40:54 AM by LCADolby »
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #64 on: May 18, 2012, 09:04:29 AM »
It would be a sign of encouragement and appreciation from those at the top. Other combat flight sims have competitions for films of their games.. AH could do a Map competition for a month free?
But I suppose when one is getting something for nothing under the guise of passionate volunteers; why change, isn't that right spokesman Dot.

Because as you stated about  the amount vs time spent makes it almost insulting to offer the free month as compensation.

We do give free time for some task, but it in no way covers the time spent.

HiTech

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #65 on: May 18, 2012, 09:20:07 AM »
Nice map fester, i hope it all comes to fruition. I have several maps I'm working on too, albeit not MA size ones. my hats off to you for your time and talent! good job!  :salute

map making is about fun, learning new things and about making things more interesting for the community. believe it or not, there are some of us out here, that are not concerned about compensation, but rather about playing the game, bringing more people into the game and making it more interesting for the people already playing the game.

enjoy the fact that there are people out there trying to help make Aces High more fun then it already is!

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #66 on: May 18, 2012, 09:59:47 AM »
all the recent vehicles added, the 88mm, the storch....all useless I'd rather have new maps.

Ahh you can make your own quick maps and use them offline. That would fix the issue since nothing else matters but maps to you. :)
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline ghi

• Gold Member
« Reply #67 on: May 18, 2012, 10:15:46 AM »
At the moment I am hand detailing 512 square miles of a main arena terrain patterns with rivers, roads, mountains, farms, forests,
Good job !
I believe we have way to many killer trees in  ground texture, i can't land a C47 or find GVs, looks like the WW2 was fought in Amazon rainforest only;,if you could do some lumbering would be great.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #68 on: May 18, 2012, 10:57:16 AM »
Good job !
I believe we have way to many killer trees in  ground texture, i can't land a C47 or find GVs, looks like the WW2 was fought in Amazon rainforest only;,if you could do some lumbering would be great.

:rofl
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #69 on: May 18, 2012, 11:06:40 AM »
Yes, lumbering would be great but as Fester says,
it (the terrain) uses only default terrain textures and 0 custom objects or settings...

I am very impressed with the fruits of his labour as well as the tools that HTC has offered us to work with.  (A downed tree object would make great replacement for some of the numerous hedges that are appreciated as well = new wishlist item).

In case this question has been addressed here in the previous 5 pages that I did not complete, please humor me but, my worries are that hand detailing with even stock textures and objects might still drag on frame rates more so than "standard tiles"????  :headscratch:

I hope the above is not the case or may have a minimum impact at its worst.  I have always been a fan of Fester's work, especially his early H2H stuff.   :old:

Fester has some "ghoulish" powers :salute

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #70 on: May 18, 2012, 11:16:38 AM »
my worries are that hand detailing with even stock textures and objects might still drag on frame rates more so than "standard tiles"????  :headscratch:

I think by "hand detailing" he's talking about painting the the ground textures inside the terrain editor instead of using an external program like Photoshop to paint the terrain with grayscale which is them imported into the TE to apply the textures. So, it's just placing the textures and does not affect frame rates.

"Hand detailing" gives much more control over exactly where a texture is placed, thus making the terrain look exactly as the creator wants. I do this with my terrains, as well as "hand detailing" the elevations to fine-tune the overall layout of the land.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #71 on: May 18, 2012, 01:36:09 PM »

And a new auto puffy ack!!  :bhead
now posting as SirNuke

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 18, 2012, 01:52:11 PM »
all the recent vehicles added, the 88mm, the storch....all useless

Useless?  :huh

We should tell that the huge number of players using them...  :old:
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #73 on: May 18, 2012, 01:57:21 PM »

Useless?  :huh

We should tell that the huge number of players using them...  :old:

When I express an opinion it only represents mine  :old:
now posting as SirNuke

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #74 on: May 18, 2012, 03:32:14 PM »
:rock Fester .... We're not worthy....

I think this is the map where the troops would scale the mountain to the maproom (what movie was that in again?) :bolt:

Chilli,    Are you thinking of "the devils brigade"   the Canuk and US special forces movie?

:salute
 PS: ya Fester I still hate to be shot down too....  the more it changes the more it stays the same! :rofl