Author Topic: About the P47...  (Read 1364 times)

Offline Alky

• Nickel Member
About the P47...
« on: May 17, 2012, 10:01:54 AM »
I was away from AH for a few years, the last new plane added at the time was the P-47N.  I see there's now a P-47M which is shown as a fighter in the hanger. I found in the past that the N model with no ordnance was fairly nimble and effective.
So, can I assume that the M model is exactly the same plane as the N without ordnance?  
"Soda's Evaluation" site was always my bible but it's out of date now with all the aircraft additions.  :frown:

Thanx   :) :salute
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 10:03:50 AM by Alky »
George "Alky®" Fisher

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
Re: About the P47...
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 10:06:44 AM »
Hi alt hot rod -- 25K plus.  Look at it's speed chart in the hangar. 

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 10:13:40 AM »
Similar to the -N, a bit lighter and no clipped wings, so roll rate isn't as good as the -N.  A great plane to fly.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 12:11:01 PM »
Note that the N model has about twice the fuel capacity of the M so 100% in the M is like 50% in the N.

Similar to the -N, a bit lighter and no clipped wings, so roll rate isn't as good as the -N.  A great plane to fly.

Wiley.

The N has extended squared wingtips, they are not clipped, wingspan is a couple of feet wider. I haven't compared the roll rates.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 01:20:34 PM »
The N has extended squared wingtips, they are not clipped, wingspan is a couple of feet wider. I haven't compared the roll rates.

Hmp!  Learned my thing for the day.  Thanks!

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Alky

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 02:13:22 PM »
Note that the N model has about twice the fuel capacity of the M so 100% in the M is like 50% in the N.
Thanx guys, just the kinda things I wanted to find out.    :salute   :cheers:
George "Alky®" Fisher

Offline Rich52

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 02:21:15 PM »
Seems more nimble to me then the "N", more responsive. With air under you its a killer. I think its the best Bomber sheepdog in the set.
Yes, your on "Ignore"

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 10:31:27 PM »
I've always thought of it as the F4F-4 of the Jug lineup.  I'm not comparing it to the F4F-4 but in comparison to the rest in it's planeset.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Full Metal Jug

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2012, 08:12:36 AM »
Both planes are quick, if I've noticed anything there is a line between the two. The M and the N model have diffrent fuel caps, the N is able to carry it's fuel in both wings, the M is only able to have it centered. The M has a higher climb rate though, it can get into the fours at low alts with light 8s and 25% fuel. However I think the N can only do 3 1/4 climb rate.

The M is slightly quicker by about 10 or 20 mile an hour though, it's got an awkward sight though. For some reason the aim point on the M seems like it is below the cowl.

"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."

— George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2012, 10:24:01 AM »
M also has "dive flaps"...am thinking it's the only 47 with them, can be especially helpful in avoiding or getting out of compression.

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2012, 10:28:47 AM »
I don't fly the P47 much, but I believe the 40 and the N have dive flaps as well.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2012, 12:14:14 PM »
D-40, M, and N have the spoilers (dive brakes). M and N are very close in speed with WEP. N is is the biggest dog of the Jug bunch once the WEP is gone. M is lighter and will stay in the vertical longer and accelerates better than all of the jugs. You'll rarely see it in the MA because of the low altitudes but the P-47-M was the fastest American plane to see combat. It'll do the advertised 470mph in the area of 30k but it takes it almost an entire sector to get there when level.
"When caught by the enemy in large force the best policy is to fight like hell until you can decide what to do next."
~Hub Zemke
P-47 pilot 56th Fighter Group.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2012, 03:36:32 PM »
For some reason the aim point on the M seems like it is below the cowl.

I used to fly for the 56th when nomde, YUCCA and Frenchy played. I could never figure out at that time how to describe that same feeling in any of the Jugs about gunnery. When you look at WW2 manuals for the ballistics the guns are aiming up from one of the longest distances down from the pilots eye line of most fighters in WW2. Even the F4U's are arranged easier due to the upswing in the gull wing configuration.

That steep up angle with the Jug's makes you shoot low right to your convergence point.

If you want to see this offline fly a Jug at the offline target at 290 true airspeed auto leveled. This places the prop hub centered to the red center line of the target. Use E6b once autleveled to tweek it with throttel and RPM to hold the speed. Then shoot at distances of 100, 150, 200, 250, 300, (your convergence). Watch how the impact patterns walk visibly up to your line of sight at the ConvIP.

You can compaire this against the P51D@285ta or the F4U-1A@260ta. Even the FW190-A8@280ta. Set the arena time to 01:00 to see your patterns on the target better on full zoom. (.time 01:00) (.target xxxx)
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2012, 10:31:59 PM »
M and N have the same engine and nearly the same top speed (a few mph off for the N), but the main difference is the N has a higher dry weight. Even if you load it lighter on the gas it'll still be a bit heavier than the M. I don't recall if it's 500 or 1000 lbs, but something close to one or the other.

Overall, a light N will fly similar to a regular M, and overall they're both very lethal. Pilot error makes most of them fall into the same traps and pitfalls that the D models fall into, but they are a bit superior to their early brothers.

P.S. The N has squared tips, and slightly larger ailerons, but it also has longer wings as well, so the net result is that the roll rates are almost the same. No clear winner in that category, either way.

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2012, 10:54:08 PM »
Would a P-47N at 25% out preform a P-47M at 50% (roughly equal fuel loads), due to the larger wing area? Or would the lighter weight of the 47M still give it the edge in climb, turning, and handling?
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"