Author Topic: Oscar  (Read 4079 times)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: Oscar
« Reply #60 on: May 22, 2012, 06:17:25 PM »

First off, the plane matters. Pilot skill being equal, the plane will determin the fight.

Pilots being equal, the one that makes the first mistake will determine the outcome of the fight.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #61 on: May 22, 2012, 06:29:29 PM »
Pilots being equal, the one that makes the first mistake will determine the outcome of the fight.

ack-ack
Arguable. Not all mistakes are fatal, and the second one to make a mistake could screw up even worse.

However, a better preforming plane gives the pilot a better chance than if he were in a worse plane, regardless of who makes the first mistake. The Ki-43 is much more able to recover from a mistake than the Ki-61 is. Same with the P-40N compared to the P-40C. Or the Bf 109K compared to the E, or even the G2.

Either way, the point is that preformance is not irrelvent in a fight, as High-Tone was implying.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #62 on: May 22, 2012, 06:38:51 PM »
Whats right in Tank-ace's post:
flying it against literally any other aircraft would be very simple: come with altitude, dont let him escape, force him to turn and then you only have to copy your opponents moves, the plane is winning the fight for you. Just like a zeek, but the weak guns would make your job real hard (the opponet might dive away, you have to catch him on the deck, etc)
In the other hand, in a ki43 vs ki43 1v1...  now that would be crazy. Even the spit9s are a bit uncomfortable for me as the action is happening sooo freakin fast... now imagine this aircraft. Wild, isnt it? : )
One awesome KOTH ride too.

Ack-ack: in my experience, given a fight between totally equally skilled pilots, the plane is the main deciding factor is the plane. Then who is still cold, who is warmed up, who is tired, theese are deciding who has the more chance to gain some profit from the opponent's mistake. Still, in an extreme case, in a spit16 vs p47D match, the spit pilot can do many mistakes and still win easily against a nearly perfectly flown jug... Sometimes the tiredness-factor can overtake the plane choice tho... ask IrishOne haha  
AoM
City of ice

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #63 on: May 22, 2012, 06:51:39 PM »
Arguable. Not all mistakes are fatal, and the second one to make a mistake could screw up even worse.

However, a better preforming plane gives the pilot a better chance than if he were in a worse plane, regardless of who makes the first mistake. The Ki-43 is much more able to recover from a mistake than the Ki-61 is. Same with the P-40N compared to the P-40C. Or the Bf 109K compared to the E, or even the G2.

Either way, the point is that preformance is not irrelvent in a fight, as High-Tone was implying.

If two equal pilots fly a P51-D and one makes a mistake the other can't run/recover from being killed, only Drastic performance can change that - a 109E vs P51D a P51D can run away, leaving a veteran in the dust.

Pilot skill always wins over performance.
JG 52

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #64 on: May 22, 2012, 08:50:58 PM »
It is not slower than the A6M and the A6M, other than the 2, is not the best turning fighter in AH.

The Ki-43-III would do about 365mph at best altitude, 10-15mph faster than the A6M5b, while still out turning the Hurricane Mk I and Brewster B239.

The addition of the fowler flaps is another difference between the Ki-43 and A6M.  The Ki-43's power to weight ratio should also be better.

I don't believe the speed diffrences you mentioned make any difference to my analysis.  :salute
Who is John Galt?

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #65 on: May 22, 2012, 11:43:57 PM »
Additionally the wing area will increase when the Fowlers are deployed in the Ki-43 and not with anything else on that list. Are the flap deployment speeds known?

Yep, rest of the fighters listed have split flaps.
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
      • Ham Radio Antenna Experiments
« Reply #66 on: May 22, 2012, 11:56:29 PM »
Or maybe an Me-410 in 2 weeks... :noid
WildWzl
Ft Bragg Jump School-USAF Kunsan AB, Korea- Clark AB P.I.- Korat, Thailand-Tinker AFB Ok.- Mtn Home AFB Idaho
F-86's, F-4D, F-4G, F-5E Tiger II, C-130, UH-1N (Twin Engine Hueys) O-2's. E3A awacs, F-111, FB-111, EF-111,

Offline HighTone

• Silver Member
      • Squad Site
« Reply #67 on: May 23, 2012, 09:36:41 AM »

The pilot that used his plane to the best of its ability, mistake free will win the fight 90% of the time regardless of the planes performance. And really the Ki43 would be more able to recover from a mistake than a Ki61? When was the last time you have taken up a Ki61? It's faster, dives better, has pilot armor and self sealing fuel tanks and is much more able to recover from a bad pilot move than the Ki43 would ever be able to do. Your lack of understanding of these aircraft is clouding your thoughts.

When you do start subscribing to AH again, I challenge you to a fight. I'll take the D3A and you can take any plane with a prop. I will show you then how a pilots tactics and decision making plays more into the out come of the fight than your planes on paper stats.

LCA Special Events CO     LCA ~Tainan Kokutai~       
www.lcasquadron.org      Thanks for the Oscar HTC

Offline Torquila

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #68 on: May 23, 2012, 11:56:22 AM »
H-tone, I dont suppose your judging the possible outcome on some random lucky occurances in the MA where your d3a seemed to take advantage of "skill" instead of the sheer laughability and novelty of it, are you?

Its usually best not to confuse the two....

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #69 on: May 23, 2012, 12:04:04 PM »
H-tone, I dont suppose your judging the possible outcome on some random lucky occurances in the MA where your d3a seemed to take advantage of "skill" instead of the sheer laughability and novelty of it, are you?

Its usually best not to confuse the two....
Lack of skill can cause a P-47N to lose to a D3A1.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Torquila

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #70 on: May 23, 2012, 12:12:56 PM »
LIES< CAKE< UND MOAR LIES!!

lulz

Offline Torquila

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #71 on: May 23, 2012, 12:18:14 PM »
PS: Lack of skill could also make the p47 crash on take off; if that fits the requirements here. ZOMG  :rock

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #72 on: May 23, 2012, 12:22:22 PM »
Also, the Ki-43-III could do about 365, which isn't that much slower than the Ki-61.

Do you remember any source which listed this speed? Sounds rather optimistic IMO.

Francillon lists 358mph @ ~22k (which is pretty good in itself). And Aero Detail #29 on Ki-43 mentions 345mph.

As a general note from various sources, Zeke was the faster aircraft until Ki-43 caught it or almost caught it up with the -III variant.
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #73 on: May 23, 2012, 12:25:53 PM »
PS: Lack of skill could also make the p47 crash on take off; if that fits the requirements here. ZOMG  :rock
No, there is a skill threshold between crashing on its own and still lacking the skill needed to not get shot down by said D3A1.

The P-47N in question dove down onto me, I avoided his attack, and proceeded to do a descending spiral turn to the deck with me on his tail the whole way.  We did a 720 or 1080 degree turn on the deck with me pecking away at him when he decided to make a run for it and leveled out.  I shot his elevators off while he started to pull away from me.  Once he lost his elevators he was no longer able to avoid, as he had shown he had the skill to do before, the collision with the ground.

That was a pure lack of skill on the part of the P-47N's pilot that caused it to lose a fight with a D3A1.

wmaker,

The 365 was from memory.  I was likely thinking of the 358 number for the -III.  I agree that the A6M2 was faster than the -I and the A6M3 likely faster than the -II.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Torquila

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #74 on: May 23, 2012, 12:36:35 PM »
I disagree; there is *no* thresh-hold of skill; just as there is no thresh-hold in a plane's ability and capability; as what is claimed here.

You got lucky, like a camel pilot who found a 262 taxi'ing on the runway.

Pretty much sums it up.